*Update* WI Governor to sign raw milk legislation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-05-2010, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nevermind, he vetoed it. Special interest money. http://www.fairfoodfight.com/node/1388

He is finally doing something right!
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/..._hLogD9FGHLEO0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2010, 12:38 PM

Wooohooo I'm super excited about this!

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Old 05-09-2010, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
People should be aware of the health dangers of drinking raw milk. That's why they invented pasteurization, because people were getting sick from raw milk. In my (unpopular dissenting) opinion, raw milk is about as safe as pond water.

bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif
Old 05-09-2010, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
ERSS: pasteurization allows people to "safely" drink milk from unhealthy cows. animals kept in clean humane conditions, who are kept on organic pasture, make extremely safe milk that does not need to be cooked.

Bring back the old MDC
Old 05-10-2010, 06:00 PM

I disagree. And actually pasture-fed cows tend to carry more bacteria than cows in a well-maintained free stall barn. Dirt just naturally harbors a lot more bacteria, such as Bacillus sp. Most notably Bacillus cereus which often causes ear infections.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:46 PM

ERSS- if you don't feel safe drinking it, then don't drink it. As far as my family goes, we are well educated on the subject and still choose to buy our milk from a farm where I know the farmer and I can see the animals and where they are pastured. I should have the right to buy what I feel is a healthier choice for my family. That's all this bill does. It allows direct farmer-to-consumer sales. Which means the people who will be buying it have to go out of their way to find a farm and go to the farm to purchase the milk. Which, by the way, assures accountability since we will know exactly where our milk came from.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:28 PM

Now if only Minnesota would get on board!! I would also like to be able to choose what milk my family drinks.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee25 View Post
Now if only Minnesota would get on board!! I would also like to be able to choose what milk my family drinks.
We can already do this. We can't buy it retail in grocery stores, but it is legal in MN to go to a farm and buy the milk directly from the farmer.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:14 PM

It looks like all those calls I placed to Gov Doyle are paying off!

ERSS: If you don't want to drink raw milk, you don't have to because you have a choice. However, my choice to drink raw milk was taken away from me last year and I'm fighting hard to get it back. Even if you don't want to drink "pond water," I would hope that you would stand up for personal freedom.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

Old 05-20-2010, 12:05 PM

This thread should be updated again. Doyle vetoed the bill late on Wed.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:31 PM

I saw that on the news last night - I am peeeved. So there is no way now in WI to purchase raw milk?

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Old 05-21-2010, 12:28 PM

Well, the current laws state that "incidental sales" are allowed. The question is, what constitutes incidental sales? From everything that's happened in the last 9 months, DATCP has gone overboard to crush any farms that have anything to do with raw milk. I don't know what the fallout will be, but I encourage anybody who believes that they should have the right to purchase a food they feel is healthy (whether you are a fan of raw milk or not), please call Mike SHeridan, speaker of the assembly, to ask him to call a special session to override the veto. It's raw milk today, maybe homeschooling tomorrow? Meat and eggs at the farmer's market? Irradiation for the produce at the farmer's market? This is about freedom of choice. Ironic that we even have this battle in a state that values it's personal freedom so much that there is NO helmet law for motorcycles and a soon-to-be concealed carry law.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:10 PM

Kristenok18 - I know exactly what you mean! I'm just stunned by Doyle's move. He has nothing to lose by signing since he's not running for re-election.

I can see possibly spilling over into limiting meat & egg sales at farmer's markets, which is just This state continues to stun me with what it finds acceptable and then unacceptable.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:53 PM

What a bummer! I mean, I get why pasteurization became the norm, but I don't get why they let the milk industry lobby bulldoze them on this. I mean, many of them probably grew up on milk from the bulk tank anyway. Grrr.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthRootsStarSoul View Post
I disagree. And actually pasture-fed cows tend to carry more bacteria than cows in a well-maintained free stall barn. Dirt just naturally harbors a lot more bacteria, such as Bacillus sp. Most notably Bacillus cereus which often causes ear infections.
There is NO WAY that pastured dairy cows carry more dangerous bacteria than feed lot cows. You can't tell me that a feed lot is a healthier environment...they are living in their own filth, rather than in the grass. Grazing animals that never see the pasture are THE reason that all of our meat and dairy animals are treated with antibiotics now.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygir1 View Post
There is NO WAY that pastured dairy cows carry more dangerous bacteria than feed lot cows. You can't tell me that a feed lot is a healthier environment...they are living in their own filth, rather than in the grass. Grazing animals that never see the pasture are THE reason that all of our meat and dairy animals are treated with antibiotics now.
Sorry, but I have science, you have theories.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
No, you have bullying tactics and fear mongering. The dairy mafia has ample funds to back studies that serve interests. Those that advocate for raw milk simply don't have those kinds of resources to fund the studies that would advocate the advantages of raw milk.

Again, if YOU don't want to drink raw milk, DON'T. I refuse to drink conventional feed-lot produced milk, but I'm not going to say anything about your right to choose that option.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Uh, you didn't mention or quote any studies.

And it is clear that the rise of antibiotic use in dairy cattle has coincided with the move away from pastured animals and toward "factory farms".
Old 05-26-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenok18 View Post
The dairy mafia

Old 05-28-2010, 04:48 PM

It disgusts me that Gov. Doyle would give in to big Ag. He could have started a huge wave for personal freedom that would radiate throughout the country, but he ended up letting us down. Sadly, it does not surprise me.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

Old 06-09-2010, 02:35 AM

I'm sorry to see that he vetoed the bill. I don't live in Wisconsin, but I grew up there and visit frequently. I was looking forward to it being easy to find raw milk near my home town (Fond du Lac).

I agree with the others, ERSS. You don't have to drink it and if you're going to make big claims like "I have science, you have theories", then back it up. Also, my mom always taught me to learn about both sides of the story. Have you read any literature on raw milk from people who aren't against it? For example, Ron Schmid's Untold Story of Milk?

Mother to Elliot. Actor. Organic, Local, and Gluten Free Foodie. Writer. YA Fiction Addict. Knitter. Geek.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:46 PM

We should expect nothing less from a lame duck governor. It is quite aggravating to say the least. This has more to do with big dairy not wanting the public to know the filthy details of their operations. My rep's office also told me that Organic Valley was pushing against this as well. Very disappointing.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama View Post
We should expect nothing less from a lame duck governor. It is quite aggravating to say the least. This has more to do with big dairy not wanting the public to know the filthy details of their operations. My rep's office also told me that Organic Valley was pushing against this as well. Very disappointing.
I actually wrote to Organic Valley telling them that I won't be purchasing their products anymore do to their lobbying of the Gov. to veto the bill. This just goes to show how big Organic Valley has gotten, and doesn't care about the little guy anymore. They (OV) has also told the farmers who they buy their milk from that if they choose to sell raw milk directly to customers, and they find out about it, they will stop buying their milk!

Sargento was the big corporation that the dairy lobby got to really put the pressure on Doyle.

If you are interested in getting raw milk, some of the farms that were selling it in the past have found other ways around the original law, so people can still get raw milk in WI. It's just a lot more difficult for the farmers who provide it.

Double majoring Philosophy/History single student mommy geek.gif to DD(4yo)dust.gif. I heartbeat.gif reading (mostly feminist philosophy, Simone de Beauvoir and Jane Addams are my intellectual heros. I'm a dork pinktongue.gif), and sewmachine.gif.
You've got to get man off your eyeball, before you can see anything at all.- Shug Avery in "The Color Purple"

Old 06-10-2010, 05:54 PM

I think it's very unfair when drinking/eating something in its most natural state is not allowed. We have been drinking raw milk now for 6 months after being milk-free for 4 1/2 years because of allergies. We love it. It's straight up milk. Nothing else. Have you ever looked at the ingredients on a container of milk at the store? I mean seriously, I had to chuckle when I first did this to see that's it's not just MILK!!

Liz~A wife and homeschooling mother to two gifts from God!
Old 06-10-2010, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

I had no idea about Organic Valley. This is sad because they are local to WI. PP, where in NE Iowa are you? I grew up in NE Iowa.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcafe View Post
I had no idea about Organic Valley. This is sad because they are local to WI. PP, where in NE Iowa are you? I grew up in NE Iowa.
And my family is all from (and still in) NE Iowa. Beautiful country.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, now I need to know where in NE Iowa? So hilly around there which surprises people as they think all of Iowa is flat flat flat.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:34 PM

One side of my family is from McGregor. So lovely there!!! I remember being offended that people thought IA was all flat and that there was nothing but cornfields and pig farms, since both my sides of the family are from places on the Mississippi. Until my sis moved to Buchanan County....then I knew why they thought that.

How about you? Curious minds want to know!
Old 06-12-2010, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

How funny! My DH is in McGregor right this second visiting his mom. She moved there when she married her second husband. I am from Waukon--not too far away from there. We played Mar-Mac in softball
Old 06-15-2010, 09:08 PM

I am north of Decorah. A few miles from the MN border. And yes, we think Iowa is beautiful too!

Liz~A wife and homeschooling mother to two gifts from God!

User Tag List