Therapist in MPLS - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-22-2010, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think my child may have a personality disorder. Can anyone recommend a really good therapist in MPLS? I'm looking specifically with someone who can diagnose and treat him (or us) if necessary. Thanks

Married to love of my life! Children 6, 4 1/2, 2 1/2 and 4 months
#2 of 4 Old 05-23-2010, 12:02 AM

How old is your child? Personality disorders cannot, should never be given before late teens, early adulthood because personality isn't fully formed until then. And personality disorders are not very treatable. I am a psychologist in Burnsville, not seeing many kids anymore, mostly marriage work but I would check with Washburn Child Guidance or Fraiser or Family and Childrens in Minneapolis. Good luck.

Maureen
#3 of 4 Old 05-23-2010, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I may be classifying my hypothesis the wrong way. We are having lots of issues w/my son--much has been suggested from peds, chiros, friends and family--he's gifted, he's on the spectrum, he has sensory issues, this is normal 4 year old behavior, he has an auto-immune problem, and the latest that he has ODD (Oppositional Defiance syndrome). I've posted about this in the childhood section and gotten great support.

But, I do not know what to do. I feel in my heart there is something wrong and my dh and I want to have him evaluated. By whom? Where do I go first?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Married to love of my life! Children 6, 4 1/2, 2 1/2 and 4 months
#4 of 4 Old 05-25-2010, 12:17 AM

Ok- ODD is not a particularly useful diagnosis, it is just a style of reaction that can make parenting difficult. You should start with a full assessment at someplace like Fraiser. Has he been assessed by the school system yet? There are two paths ahead of you- use the school system, have him assessed and begin with early childhood education services or use your insurance and go through the mental health services. Whichever one you pick, the other is available later once the diagnosis is clear so I suggest startng with a mental health diagnosis and then getting that information to the school so that they can begin working on the services that they can provide.

The best places for autism spectrum type assessments are Fraiser and Alexander Center.

Good luck.

Maureen

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page