Things to do in Mpls/St. Paul (that aren't the MoA) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-09-2010, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My three kiddos and I are headed up to Mpls./St. Paul at the end of the month to visit relatives and their new baby. I've set aside two days for sightseeing, and we'll be checking out the Como zoo, but we'd like suggestions for other activities while we're there. Not interested in doing Mall of America again... hoping for things a bit off the beaten path. I would also appreciate suggestions for fun places to eat with the kids. Thanks so much!

About me: I  caffix.giftreehugger.gifcold.gifknit.gifphotosmile2.gif, and read.gif. Oh, and I'm dizzy.gif with love.gif for DH and DCx3!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2010, 01:14 AM

Minnehaha Falls is great for families and there is an amazing place to eat-
Sea Salt (sea food) and there is the Tin Fish (freshwater fish) at Lake Calhoun walking distance from a wonderful beach and playground.

The Arboretum is beautiful- takes care of kids and parents. They have a different special display each summer and this year it is structural/architectural designs.

Shoots and Ladders in Bloomington is the best playground in the area.

Take the train downtown and visit the Guthrie. The view is amazing and the kids really a great introduction to modern architecture. Then go next store to Mill City Museum and understand old Mpls better.

Burnsville has a beautiful waterfall park, splash pad that is free at Heart of the City. You can sit for hours and watch them play. Next door is a Middle Eastern restaurant that has belly dancing and humus my kids adore.

Just a few ideas... can't wait to hear what others throw out.

Maureen
Old 06-10-2010, 01:21 AM

LOTS to do here besides MOA. Here's a bit to get you started, but there is of course a gazillion lakes and parks, great splash pads, some cool day trips you could do out of the cities, but it really depends on what you want to do.

MN Children's Museum

Choo Choo Bob's

Minneapolis Sculpture Garden

Minnehaha Falls

Wild Rumpus Bookstore

Riverboats

Gibbs Farm

Upper St Anthony Falls Lock and Dam

Model Train Museum

Trolley Ride

Bakken Museum of Electricity

Bell History Museum

Eloise Butler Wildflower Garden

The Works Hands-on Museum

Fort Snelling

Haha, cross posted with Maureen! I forgot to say that since my dd is gluten, dairy, soy, and egg intolerant, I can't really help with food but there are lots of great restaurants here and heck you can even run into any of the co-op grocery stores and grab some great stuff from the deli for a picnic!

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
Old 06-10-2010, 11:25 AM

Wow Emily- what a great list... you are a Twin Cities expert! I even learned of a couple of new things... have you been to The Works? Never even heard of it and I have lived here forever and parented even longer.

Maureen
Old 06-10-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMoMpls View Post
have you been to The Works? Never even heard of it and I have lived here forever and parented even longer.
We were just there for the first time on Saturday, through the library's Museum Pass program (which is how I heard about it!). It's pretty cool. Small, but lots of stuff to do to keep the kids busy for a while. The website says 5 and up for age, but I think it would be good for any age, even though the younger kids may not understand (or care) about the science behind the exhibits. The robot legs on the bike is a little freaky. They also have a store that sells neat science toys you may not find elsewhere.

This site also lists a lot of things to do:

http://www.grandparents.com/gp/events/mineapolis.html

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

Old 06-10-2010, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, thank you for the great suggestions everyone! You came up with ideas I probably wouldn't have found on my own, which is what I was hoping for. Now I know we'll have a great couple days in the cities... I just wish I could fit more activities into the two days we'll be out!

About me: I  caffix.giftreehugger.gifcold.gifknit.gifphotosmile2.gif, and read.gif. Oh, and I'm dizzy.gif with love.gif for DH and DCx3!

User Tag List