Birth Centers in Twin Cities - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 06-27-2010, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have any experience with either of these birth centers?

http://www.health-foundations.com/home

http://www.morningstarbirth.com/index.cfm

Thank you so much!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 06-28-2010, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Bump

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#3 of 26 Old 06-28-2010, 12:46 AM

I haven't been to either as a doula, but I know doula's who have!! Honestly, they are different from each other (as far as looks) and the midwives are very different from each other. They are both very lovely in different ways. You should interview BOTH midwives and take tours! One might stand out at you as being a perfect fit.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#4 of 26 Old 06-29-2010, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I have a tour set at Morning Star for 7/12. I will set one up at the other as well.

I will update.

#5 of 26 Old 06-30-2010, 12:57 AM

Morningstars first center, in Menomonie, has a reputation that is deteriorating. Including myself, there are 6 moms that I know that would have used the midwife there except for bad experiences...personally and people that we know. It might be fine, but her most loyal mamas in WI are fading...good luck! Not sure about the new midwife or the philosophy of the new center, so it might be very different.

Single HB mama to 2!
#6 of 26 Old 06-30-2010, 01:00 PM

As a doula, I have heard similar stories as Sunfish.

Edited to add: I think that interviewing midwives is such a personal thing. What one person doesn't like, another person loves. The birth center would fail if no-one liked it. It seems like they are doing well enough to start up another one.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

#7 of 26 Old 06-30-2010, 02:43 PM

Can either of you explain those last 2 comments? About the bad experiences? I am currently interviewing midwives and was looking at Morningstar specifically. I have heard wonderful things about Paula but these were all from clients who were with her before she started opening the Twin Cities location. Is she overextending herself? I would appreciate if either of you would consider PMing me any information you have. I had a very bad experience with my last homebirth midwife (as far as being dropped and a total lack of loyalty) and if I end up with another midwife I can't trust I will be a mess! I don't want to be in a hospital but I'm also having a real hard time trusting midwives, too!

Sarah, Mommy to DD age 6, DD age3 , and TTC #3.
#8 of 26 Old 06-30-2010, 04:16 PM

I did PM you, but would say that if you need a good experience, this is a risky option.

Single HB mama to 2!
#9 of 26 Old 06-30-2010, 05:39 PM

I think that as far as the birthing center in Minnesota, there is a different midwife.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

#10 of 26 Old 06-30-2010, 05:51 PM

I also had a mediocre experience with Morningstar. I started off there, but ended up interviewing homebirth midwives and realized that was a perfect option for our family, especially with the midwives we are using! I wasn't gaining anything by giving birth at the center, and was losing quite a bit. There were also several things about the facility itself that I didn't like, after really picturing giving birth there.

If anyone wants details, feel free to pm me.
#11 of 26 Old 07-03-2010, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammiga View Post
I also had a mediocre experience with Morningstar. I started off there, but ended up interviewing homebirth midwives and realized that was a perfect option for our family, especially with the midwives we are using! I wasn't gaining anything by giving birth at the center, and was losing quite a bit. There were also several things about the facility itself that I didn't like, after really picturing giving birth there.

If anyone wants details, feel free to pm me.
I would love more info from you. This is a big decision for my family and I want to make sure I am going into this fully educated.

#12 of 26 Old 07-05-2010, 12:32 PM

I dont have experience with any of those birth centers but LOVE my midwife if you want her number. Her name is Vanessa Stephens Coldwater.

Randine , Wife to Chris , mama to Gracie (3) and to Soren (07/08/2010)
#13 of 26 Old 07-05-2010, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childbirth_Fanatic View Post
I dont have experience with any of those birth centers but LOVE my midwife if you want her number. Her name is Vanessa Stephens Coldwater.
If you could pm me that info I would appreciate it.

Went on the tour and am leaning more towards homebirth right now. HUGE upfront cost even if you have full coverage insurance. Seemed weird to me. Also how fast you are expected to leave makes me a little concerned. I was EXHAUSTED after Lainey's birth and would not have been ready to go home in the 4-8 hour time frame.

That may be the norm in birth centers though. I have not researched enough yet.

#14 of 26 Old 07-06-2010, 12:08 AM

There is something so nice about having your midwives come to you, that's for sure!!

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

#15 of 26 Old 07-06-2010, 12:18 PM

Yes, the upfront cost is large, and at least with Morningstar, I'd heard from people that it took them forever on the Insurance Claims (and then that it went to MorningStar first and then they gave a check to the parents.) So it's not like right after the birth you get refunded. Plus although my policy says it'd cover a birth center, I still have worries that they wouldn't pay it and we'd be in a big battle over it!

#16 of 26 Old 07-07-2010, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthing View Post
There is something so nice about having your midwives come to you, that's for sure!!
I know! I have been spoiled with the last two babies. I do not know if I can move backwards this time.

#17 of 26 Old 07-07-2010, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shruley View Post
Yes, the upfront cost is large, and at least with Morningstar, I'd heard from people that it took them forever on the Insurance Claims (and then that it went to MorningStar first and then they gave a check to the parents.) So it's not like right after the birth you get refunded. Plus although my policy says it'd cover a birth center, I still have worries that they wouldn't pay it and we'd be in a big battle over it!
Right now we are POOR! Like.....impossible for us to come up with that amount of money to "maybe" get it back. It is just not an option.

#18 of 26 Old 07-07-2010, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childbirth_Fanatic View Post
Called her Felt like I was chatting with a girlfriend Will be setting up a meeting with her and the hubby.

Thank you for the recommendation.

#19 of 26 Old 07-07-2010, 11:48 PM

AngelBee
I live in Mounds View. I don't really have much else to say right now, just noticing where people are at!
#20 of 26 Old 07-09-2010, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pivy2 View Post
AngelBee
I live in Mounds View. I don't really have much else to say right now, just noticing where people are at!
Hi neighbor!

#21 of 26 Old 07-15-2010, 03:30 PM

AngelBee, let me know how you like Vanessa. I think she's who we'll be using next time. Just can't help but love her!

#22 of 26 Old 07-18-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
Called her Felt like I was chatting with a girlfriend Will be setting up a meeting with her and the hubby.

Thank you for the recommendation.
No problem, sorry I didnt get back to you! We just had our birth with her on 07/08

#23 of 26 Old 07-18-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shruley View Post
AngelBee, let me know how you like Vanessa. I think she's who we'll be using next time. Just can't help but love her!
Seriously! I have referred quite a few people her way. I love her.

#24 of 26 Old 07-19-2010, 01:24 AM

* Edited to add that Health Foundations now has 2 midwives, Aszani from Wisconsin has joined the practice. I had a chance to meet her this past week and she is a WONDERFUL woman! *

There are significant differences between the two birth centers. Differences in the interior decor, staffing, appointments, etc.

MorningStar has 2 midwives (Paula and Savita), 3 birth suites that are all equipped with big bathtubs. Their backup hospital is Methodist hospital.

Health Foundations has 2 midwives (Amy & Aszani) and 2 apprenticing midwives and 1 birth assistant. They have 2 birth suites with jacuzzi tubs and huge walk in showers.
They also have on-site chiropractic care, acupuncture and Blooma prenatal and postnatal yoga classes. Their backup hospital is St. Joe's in St. Paul.

I do know that both birth centers are busy and the mamas that I know that are birthing with them LOVE them.

The cost of birthing at either place is much higher than most HB midwives AFAIK so if cost is a factor that might effect your decision. I have not heard anything about insurance payments at the birth centers vs a HB midwife.

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#25 of 26 Old 07-19-2010, 01:30 AM

I have never been to either birth center, however Aszani kunkler at the first one is a PHENOMENAL lady. I birthed at the birth center she founded in Middleton wisconsin (madison birth center) and it was absolutely amazing. She is kind and knowledgeable and just generally has this wonderful relaxing aura about her.

She just recently joined that birth center to be closer to her daughter and I am greatly saddened that should I be living in the madison area again, I won't have the ability to have her as my midwife.
#26 of 26 Old 07-26-2010, 02:48 PM

I highly recommend Health Foundations! There are actually two midwives in the practice, Amy Johnson-Grass and Aszani Kunkler. In addition to being a midwife Amy is also a naturopathic doctor and nutritionist. She does a lot of diet and nutrition education and I love love love the fact that she knows so much about things like homeopathy and herbs and that she starts talking about ways to feel good in pregnancy really early in your care. I think since she is also a naturopathic doctor that she can really help with all the discomforts that can come up in pregnancy with natural approaches. Aszani is a nurse midwife so if you have something come up in pregnancy that requires a perscription she is able to prescribe instead of you having to go to another provider. Aszani also has a very natural approach and knows about things like herbs and homeopathy. Both ladies are fabulous! They are a great team. They also have two birth assistants that you get to meet during your care.

I also love the fact that they have so many other services available. Amber Moravec is the chiropractor that specializes in pregnancy and kids. I have seen her during my pregnancy and love the amount to time she spends and that I have been feeling great.

I know Health Foundations offers tours the first and third Thursdays of each month and is a great way to see the facility, meet the midwives and get to ask questions. We went to one of the tours and thought it was very helpful. Especially helpful for my husband.

As far as MorningStar, I have only had the chance to visit. I think Paula is the only midwife working there now. I have also heard that mamas have been unhappy with their care and that Paula is having a hard time traveling between the two locations.

I agree with a comment made earlier that the best thing to do would be to visit both and meet the midwives and see which one is the best fit for you

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page