Sunny Hollow Montessori - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-04-2010, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all-

I am contemplating sending my kids to school next year. My oldest will be in 1st grade, my second in preK. We are thinking of Sunny Hollow Montessori in St. Paul. I have met the teachers, toured etc., but do not know anything about the parents or the parent community.

Is anyone familiar w/this school? Do your kids go there? Do tell! I would like to have the inside scoop before I invest!!

Thanks!

Married to love of my life! Children 6, 4 1/2, 2 1/2 and 4 months
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2010, 12:50 AM

I don't, but my kids go to Crossroads Montessori in St. Paul, so if you have questions about that one, I'm here (they are going into 1st and 4th in Sept).

R~mama to 3

Old 07-07-2010, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Hi CT Mommy -
I have had two children at Sunnyhollow Montessori - one started in kindergarten and is now in elementary; the other started during elementary. Both children have thrived in the Sunnyhollow Montessori environment.
I've loved that the children are in mixed-age classrooms which seems to bring out the best in all age levels. The schedule is rigorous, yet relaxed enough so that the children are challenged but not over-taxed. There is a minimum of administrative hassles for the children and a maximum of time exploring their interests and learning through those experiences. The teachers and the administration are wonderful - very bright, perceptive, helpful and energetic. Art and Chinese are infused in the elementary curriculum. Freedom of movement in the classroom helps keep the children focused as well. The parents are very involved in the helping the school. There are frequent all-school get-togethers and and an active parent group.
If you have any specific questions that I haven't answered, please let me know.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:54 PM

CT Mommy,

I have three children; the youngest (age 11) has gone to Sunny Hollow since she was 3. (My older children were too old for Sunny Hollow when we moved to Minneapolis.) My daughter has had a wonderful experience at Sunny Hollow. She has enjoyed the mixed-age classroom. She adores the elementary teachers. She's had the same teachers for the past 4 years--they know her as well (if not better) than I do. She is doing quality work, including reports on different cultures, important historical figures, nature topics, and others. She's written and directed a play; she's spent hours along the river nature-journaling; she's taken wonderful field trips to the State Capitol, the Bell Museum, the Science Museum, the Russian Museum of Art, the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, and many others. The school has recently added some extra-curricular activities (Chinese, Spanish, chess), and she has been playing in a string quartet led by a parent volunteer. In my mind, the tuition I pay at Sunny Hollow is worth every penny. We've been thrilled with the nurturing environment and the attention to academic performance.

User Tag List