Jeanne Bazille ...why? or why not? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone care to tell me their experiences with Jeanne for homebirth?
#2 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 06:14 PM

Jeanne attended 2 of my births and I also consulted her during the pregnancy that ended at 20 weeks gestation.

I was really happy with the care that I got from her. I really liked the way she was willing to be hands-off if that's what I wanted. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend her.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#3 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 11:31 PM

I have used Jeanne for four babies. Three homebirths, one of which was twins. She is amazing and as hands on or off as you want. She has a lot of experience with normal birth, and really trusts a womans instincts in pregnancy and labor. She is very non-invasive with her care and is one of the more traditional midwives in her care of women.

Sarah (mom of five, four born at home with Jeanne)

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#4 of 20 Old 07-26-2010, 11:55 PM

We used her with our son, born a year ago yesterday! She was wonderful!! I hear a lot of reviews saying that she is hands off, which she definitely is, but I think she also is really intuitive about that. She and her assistant got there and got themselves to work in the kitchen making the compresses and let my husband and I do our thing, but I think when I was pushing she just KNEW that I needed her to support my perineum and it felt great that she did that. When I hear "hands off" I tend to think that that means that they just stand back... which I KNOW she would do, but for someone like me (my first homebirth, trusted my body but also was looking for someone to be there and assist more) she had just the perfect amount of "presence" at the birth.

I just think she has a beautiful spirit and love for mamas and their families and I am just SO grateful for her. She has blessed me more than I can say! I have nothing but good things to say about her.
#5 of 20 Old 07-27-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pivy2 View Post
Anyone care to tell me their experiences with Jeanne for homebirth?
we met with her after being referred by someone. she was really great, but not the right match for us. i liked the way she was really thorough explaining her background, i liked her experience. ultimately, we went with erin kasper-frett because she was a better match for us, she would come to us for appointments, and she actually charges less. she was also willing to work with us on payments when we thought we were not going to be able to have a hb due to job loss. we had an amazing experience and our dd loves erin!
#6 of 20 Old 07-27-2010, 11:55 PM

My friend had a not-so-great experience with Jeanne. She's an MDC mama too; if you'd like to ask her about it, you can try PMing her. Her username is IcedTea.

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
#7 of 20 Old 07-28-2010, 01:20 PM

Here is the thing, and why it is so important to interview more then one midwife.

The right person for me, might not be the right person for you. We may be looking for different qualities in our midwife. We might want someone traditional, or we might want someone trained at a school. We might want someone who comes to us, or we might not care. It is all about who is right for you.

And certainly every midwife in Minnesota has someone who can tell a not-so-great birth story. Including Jeanne. That is why it is so important to interview a couple and have that face to face time!

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

#8 of 20 Old 07-29-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthing View Post
Here is the thing, and why it is so important to interview more then one midwife.

The right person for me, might not be the right person for you. We may be looking for different qualities in our midwife. We might want someone traditional, or we might want someone trained at a school. We might want someone who comes to us, or we might not care. It is all about who is right for you.

And certainly every midwife in Minnesota has someone who can tell a not-so-great birth story. Including Jeanne. That is why it is so important to interview a couple and have that face to face time!
I would agree with this! Especially with a homebirth, I think it is SO important to really "click" and be able to trust your midwife. The way I chose my midwife was this... I went on the Wisconsin Guild of Midwives website and wrote down all of the homebirth midwives who would deliver in my area. Then, I sat down and came up with a list of preliminary questions that I wanted to ask. I e-mailed this list to each of the 5 midwives that I came up with in my search. Some of the midwives answered the questions in e-mail and some requested a face-to-face or phone interview. I used the initial e-mail to try and narrow down the playing field. One midwife never bothered to return my e-mail, so she was out. A second was ruled out based on her questions in the e-mail. A third answered the questions in the e-mail, but also asked for a face-to-face interview -- which I took as a good sign. The last 2 requested that we meet to discuss my questions. I did a phone interview with one and a face-to-face with the other.

So I wound up actually interviewing 2 midwives in person and a third over the phone. The phone interview went awesome -- I really had a good feeling about the midwife I interviewed. My only concern was that she was just over an hour drive from my home and I wasn't sure how I felt about that. The other 2 midwives who I did face-to-face interviews with were each about 45 minutes away. So I decided that if I liked either of them as much as the first I would go with them for the sake of the distance. I interviewed the second one in person and she was awesome. I got along with her very well and really trusted her responses. I felt that I would be just as comfortable with her as I did with the midwife who was an hour away. So she became my first choice. Then, I interviewed the final of the midwives and knew very shortly into the interview that we just were not going to click. I went through the list of questions anyway -- and when we walked out, my HUSBAND actually said "Uh... I'm thinking NO." Haha! So nice to be on the same page.

So our decision was made by trust and ability to get along first -- with distance being second. If you have choices, please explore them! This person is going to be one of the most important people in your life for the next 9 months and beyond. Don't make the decision lightly. Make sure you know ALL of your options!

Best of luck

Mom to DD Maia (6/8/04), DS Eli (9/16/10)  and DSS Austin (4/8/96)
intactlact.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpgcd.gifbroc1.gif
#9 of 20 Old 07-29-2010, 11:12 PM

I used Jeanne for my 2nd. I liked her, had no issues. We mainly picked her bc she seemed nice and personable, and had LOTS of experience, which was important to my husband (he was very concerned about HB in general, but Jeanne's 20+ years of catching babies helped with that).

It was hard for me bc there are about a BILLION awesome midwives in the TC's. There is no good way to narrow it down IMO. I picked 3 to interview based on personal recc's. One was eliminated bc we totally didn't click. The other 2 both would have been great, but Jeanne was cheaper (I think she has since raised her rates a bit) so we went with her!

Plus her apprentice is awesome.

In fact, her apprentice, Sarah Biermeier, is taking primary clinets now. So Jeanne would still be there as back-up. Definitely consider interviewing Sarah too!

Suzan, mama to DS 9-18-07 and #2 EDD 3/4/10 GIRL!.
#10 of 20 Old 08-01-2010, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the good input. I agree about finding someone that meets my needs. when I was pregnant with my son, my DH and I interviewed a few MW and really "clicked" with one.

We went with her, but unfortunately what I found out was that I "clicked" with her personality-she was easy to talk to/easy going and to be honest, she looked like what I imagined a MW would look like ( i know, a bit lame/shallow)...turns out I didnt ask the hard questions about her beliefs,practices and comfort levels in sticky situations or about transferring care.

Had I only known that as soon as 42w came I would be dropped with no mention of this huge detail in the weeks leading up to it. nor was any option or even a conversation about what alternatives I may have had before this "deadline". that to me is a huge negative to being bound by state licensing. before that happened though I didnt realize how different things might be handled with a LM- I do now.

So now I know that in addition to maybe just getting along with someone MW or other birth attendant, i need to ask more "what would you do if..?" or "has this ever happened? what did you do?" I need to be a better consumer.

again thanks to all replies. I will store all these bits of info to draw from when my time comes.
#11 of 20 Old 08-01-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pivy2 View Post

Had I only known that as soon as 42w came I would be dropped with no mention of this huge detail in the weeks leading up to it. nor was any option or even a conversation about what alternatives I may have had before this "deadline". that to me is a huge negative to being bound by state licensing. before that happened though I didnt realize how different things might be handled with a LM- I do now.
I believe Jeanne is not a LM and so she is not bound to things like the 42 week 'rule' and stuff like that. Which, even though my son came at 41 weeks, it was reassuring to know that she trusted the natural process of birth.
#12 of 20 Old 08-01-2010, 04:49 PM

And the whole 42w thing isn't a reason to transfer care, only consult with someone else. Like a non-stress test or bio...or whatever.

I went to 42w3d with one of mine and never felt outside pressure to preform.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

#13 of 20 Old 08-01-2010, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

I know just being 42w isn't a reason to transfer care or to be worried. with my previous experience even after I had bio's and NST which both show babe,placenta,fluids where fine and so was I, it was the only conclusion that I came to for the reason I was risked out since I didn't get an explanation other than " i am no longer able to have you under my care"
#14 of 20 Old 08-01-2010, 08:17 PM

Sorry, that came across wrong.

I completely agree with you is what I am trying to say!! I can't imagine getting that from a midwife completely out of the blue. How frustrating and plain wrong. Babies are most often just fine at 42 weeks and when you get back a healthy bio, I don't see why you can't just continue on with your pregnancy.

I am sorry that happened to you. That really sucks and it is why I like unlicensed midwives.

At the same time, as an apprenticing midwife myself, I have to think about licensing. I have read the whole licensing paperwork, and it really looks open. It says that you need to consult, not transfer care. I think that it would really depend on the comfort level of the midwife. As someone who carries babies for a long time, I know that I really struggle with the 42 week thing. It is stupid, really. It doesn't take into account longer menstrual cycles, late ovulation or how long the sperm hung around.

I know that for me, on the small chance that I chose to license, that whole 42 week thing would be a non issue. Would I get into trouble? Who knows.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

#15 of 20 Old 08-01-2010, 09:24 PM

I am (was) a birth photographer and have been at a handful of births that Jeannie has been at, and I can tell you that she is one of my favorite midwives in the area.

And, like the previous poster, I also recommend interviewing Sarah Biermeier (www.geneabirth.com) because she is equally awesome.
#16 of 20 Old 08-01-2010, 10:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthing View Post

At the same time, as an apprenticing midwife myself, I have to think about licensing. I have read the whole licensing paperwork, and it really looks open. It says that you need to consult, not transfer care. I think that it would really depend on the comfort level of the midwife.
Oooh, and actually it is even more open than that. One must only consult if the pregnancy is past 42 weeks AND the biophysical profile score is 6 or less.

Pivy2, I am sorry you were dropped the last time and feel that it wasn't really explained to you why. I have to say, I believe it is more of a personal comfort level rather than a license issue. Absolutely interview many fantastic midwives and ask all those really tough questions this time around to get someone you feel strongly that you can trust. Being up in the twin cities gives you soooooooooo many options of really fantastic providers and I am sure you will find the perfect fit for you!

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#17 of 20 Old 08-13-2010, 10:28 AM

I am sorry you were dropped. Ugh. I agree with HomeBirthing. I too stick with unliscesnsed midwives.. I dont plan on going through that myself when I am practicing.

Randine , Wife to Chris , mama to Gracie (3) and to Soren (07/08/2010)
#18 of 20 Old 03-16-2011, 06:49 PM

Hello,

So I just met with Jeanne yesterday and thought she was amazing. My husband is in the medical field and I know the idea that she is not "LM" might come up, can you explain to me what this means. She mentioned that it is "optional" and so she didn't find it important?

#19 of 20 Old 03-17-2011, 07:10 AM

Getting your license is an option in the state of Minnesota. She is licensed to "practice" midwifery in the state of Wisconsin, however, we have better laws in Minnesota that make licensing optional! So basically, you have choice. Midwives choose to license or not based on many things. Also, the "rules" that apply are very open, so many midwives don't feel like it is worth it. How individual midwives read these "rules" are open to interpretation, so you might have one who wants to start induction methods at 41w3d and will transfer you at 42w to one who isn't as extreme. When you aren't licensed, you have a lot more freedom.

Anyway, a license doesn't make a better midwife! At the same time, being licensed doesn't make you a bad one!

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

#20 of 20 Old 03-17-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthing View Post

Getting your license is an option in the state of Minnesota. She is licensed to "practice" midwifery in the state of Wisconsin, however, we have better laws in Minnesota that make licensing optional! So basically, you have choice. Midwives choose to license or not based on many things. Also, the "rules" that apply are very open, so many midwives don't feel like it is worth it. How individual midwives read these "rules" are open to interpretation, so you might have one who wants to start induction methods at 41w3d and will transfer you at 42w to one who isn't as extreme. When you aren't licensed, you have a lot more freedom.

Anyway, a license doesn't make a better midwife! At the same time, being licensed doesn't make you a bad one!

Totally agree!

Randine , Wife to Chris , mama to Gracie (3) and to Soren (07/08/2010)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page