Tell me all about BadgerCare, please! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-09-2010, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH interviewed has interviewed for a position in WI and because of the type of position, health care is not included. From the DHS website, it looks like we would be eligible for BadgerCare for all of us, with DH and I paying a copay. But I don't know anything about it!

Some questions: how easy is it to find a dr who takes BC? (We will be in rural Monroe county)
Do they really push for vaxs? (we selectively vax and will not be changing our minds)
DH has some health issues and takes lots of Rxs. How is the prescription coverage?
What about birthing options? I know that my options will be very limited in a rural area, but don't want very medicialized (is that a word? ) prenatal care or birth.

Anything else you can share would be great!

TIA

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2010, 01:21 PM

When you are on Badgercare Plus (which I'm assuming you would be because of the co-pay), usually you are given the choice of a few HMOs. However, being that you will be in a rural county, you may not have the choices. What HMOs are offered varies by area. The HMO will determine which doctors are covered. And I would think it would be up to the covered doctors to decide what kind of birth options you would have. In my experience on BC, (I've been on it twice in the past 6 years -- about a year each time) doctors are quite easy to find. Dentists are a pain in the you-know-what to find.

Prescription coverage the way I remember it is good, with fairly low co-pays. Although I would imagine that would also depend on whether there are generics available and things like that.

Once you move and are accepted into the program, you should get a welcome packet that will give you all the information you ever wanted to know (and everything you never wanted to know too lol) about the program.

There are both good things and bad things about the program. But that's the way it is anywhere, I would imagine. Good luck with the new position and the move if DH gets the job!

Mom to DD Maia (6/8/04), DS Eli (9/16/10)  and DSS Austin (4/8/96)
intactlact.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpgcd.gifbroc1.gif
Old 08-10-2010, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

I'm a little confused about the HMO part. So, we would receive insurance through a private company like Blue Cross? How are the co-pays (for rxs, dr visits, etc) determined? Is there ever a waitlist or do you automatically get it if you qualify?

Thanks for all your help and the good luck wishes.

We should know by the end of the week and will accept if offered. I am so nervous about moving to a small town though! I have never lived anywhere but the 'burbs of a big city. The "very small" suburb we live in now has 10,000 people and the town we would move to has 500!!

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

Old 08-10-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pammysue View Post
I'm a little confused about the HMO part. So, we would receive insurance through a private company like Blue Cross? How are the co-pays (for rxs, dr visits, etc) determined? Is there ever a waitlist or do you automatically get it if you qualify?

Thanks for all your help and the good luck wishes.

We should know by the end of the week and will accept if offered. I am so nervous about moving to a small town though! I have never lived anywhere but the 'burbs of a big city. The "very small" suburb we live in now has 10,000 people and the town we would move to has 500!!
Essentially, yes. I remember that two of the choices here were United Healthcare and Network Healthcare. I think I had one other choice as well -- but I don't know which it was. I was living in Fond du Lac County at the time, though. I'm sure the HMO choices will be different for you -- and there may only be one that you will have to go with. And it's been a year since I've been off Badgercare as well, so of course -- things could have changed since that time. That's just how it worked when I was on it.

As I recall, the co-pays are determined by what tier of Badgercare you're on. If you fall under a higher income bracket and are paying a monthly premium, I would think that your co-pays would be a bit higher than for someone who qualified for the plan that didn't have a premium. I did not pay a montly premium, and my co-pays were like $2.00 or something like that for a typical doctor's visit. Co-pays for medications were also only a few bucks. Once you are determined to qualify, you should not be wait-listed. Badgercare for single adults has a ridiculously long waiting list, but as far as I know, families with kids do not get wait-listed. As far as having waiting lists to receive care, there shouldn't be any problem there either. In my experience, if doctors accept Badgercare, then they accept Badgercare and they don't have only a specific amount of BC clients they will see. Dental is a different story entirely and there are typically waiting lists several months long to get in to see a dentist. There are very few dentists who will accept BC compensation. Very unfortunate.

I don't blame you for being nervous about the small town move. I personally don't think I could survive small-town living. Not that I live in a huge city, but the place I grew up had 40,000 and the city where I'm living now has just over 50,000. So I would suffer terrible culture shock if I had to live in a place as small as 500!!! Keep me posted -- I'd love to know if you're going to be moving or not

Old 08-10-2010, 04:10 PM

Here's the HMO choice booklet. It looks like it's a couple of years old, but maybe it will help you understand more what I was getting at. It lists the HMO choices by county.

http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/publica...p1/p12020a.pdf

Old 08-17-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pammysue View Post
I'm a little confused about the HMO part. So, we would receive insurance through a private company like Blue Cross?
Think of it this way:

Forward Health = the insurance
Badger Care Plus Standard Plan, Medicaid, etc. = the benefit plans
HMO = the administrators of your benefits

1 child, 36 years old, pagan, married

Old 08-17-2010, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help everyone. Dh did not get the job.

User Tag List