Childcare or Preschool recommendations for Twin Cities, please - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-30-2010, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband and I have a 4 year old son, and we've recently moved to the Twin Cities. Up until now, DS has always gone to work with me, but it doesn't look like that will be a viable option for us at this time. So now I'm looking for childcare and/or schooling recommendations for him.

Ideally, I'd love to find a SAHM who'd be open to caring for him and doing preschool drop-off and pick-up three days a week. I'm open to in-home licensed providers or a really great center as well. We're planning to live in Eden Prairie (haven't settled on a place yet though), and we have school options in either Bloomington or Shakopee. I don't have a job yet, so I don't know where I'll be working permanently. I'd like to get care in place though so that I can start temping in the mean time.

Anyone have any recommendations for care in/around this area? Thanks!
#2 of 12 Old 10-02-2010, 07:12 PM

Stepping Stone Montessori in the Uptown area of Minneapolis is incredible education for preschool. It's not a daycare though, but there is an extended day option after the school day ends.
#3 of 12 Old 10-10-2010, 11:02 AM

We love Forest Preschool of Linden Hills. Message me if you're interested in more information, I don't think she's on the web anywhere. Did you read the article in Mothering Nov/Dec 2008 about Kindergarten in the Swiss Forest? The children spend a good portion of the day outdoors. The school is Waldorf inspired, home based, and the woman who runs it is amazing. It's located west of Lakes Harriet & Calhoun (on 38th near France). I recommend it highly.
#4 of 12 Old 10-11-2010, 01:03 PM

Our daughter goes two mornings a week to City of Lakes Waldorf school for preschool. It goes up to grade 8, but for Preschool you can choose between 2, 3, and 5 days and you can choose between 830-12 or you can do extended days on any/all days you want. It's such a great school!! I love their gentle approach to discipline and teaching. My spirited daughter loves it there!

We live in Minneapolis, not sure how far from EP.... but PM me if you're interested in CLWS (check out their website, it's pretty detailed about Waldorf education) and maybe I could do childcare for you! I'm a SAHM during the week (yoga on the wkends) with my 3.5 yr old and 14 month old and could possibly do childcare if your child went to the same preschool as mine
#5 of 12 Old 11-16-2010, 04:29 AM

I am interested in finding out more information regarding the Forest Preschool of Linden Hills. Does anyone have any personal experience?

Thanks,

~Karen

#6 of 12 Old 11-17-2010, 01:24 PM

Yes, my son attended the Linden Hills Forest Preschool this summer.  What specific questions do you have?

#7 of 12 Old 11-23-2010, 12:10 PM

Hi there. Sorry for the late reply...I've been off MDC for a couple of weeks. :)

My DD (4 yrs.) currently attends Augsburg Park Montessori School in Richfield (http://www.augsburgpark.com). It's just a few blocks from the border with Bloomington, so I thought it might be worth mentioning to you.

We LOVE it. Love love love it. This is DD's 3rd year, and her big brother attended for 3 years when he was a preschooler. So we've had plenty of time to form an opinion, KWIM?

Good luck in your search, and feel free to PM me if you want to know more about APMS.

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
#8 of 12 Old 11-24-2010, 05:32 AM

Hi again,

How was your experience at the Forest School? Would you recommend it? How many children does she typically have? Is there a traditional learning component involved? What is the general price range?

Thanks,

#9 of 12 Old 12-02-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaHeart2 View Post

Hi again,

How was your experience at the Forest School? Would you recommend it? How many children does she typically have? Is there a traditional learning component involved? What is the general price range?

Thanks,

Hi Karen,

Re-visit my post from 10/10 on this thread... the experience my son had at the Forest Preschool of Linden Hills is unparalleled.  I highly recommend it.  I believe there are 4 children in her program now? I would say that yes there is a traditional learning component, as much as any preschool has, transposed in an outdoor environment.  The price this past summer was roughly $60/day from 9am - 3:30pm.  WELL worth every penny (if you have that many pennies).  

#10 of 12 Old 12-02-2010, 04:00 PM

If anyone else is interested in the Forest Preschool of Linden Hills I recommend reading the article in Mothering Nov/Dec 2008 about Kindergarten in the Swiss Forest.  For specific information about the school contact Michelle DeCastillo at:  lhpchildren@earthlink.net

#11 of 12 Old 12-11-2010, 05:16 PM

i just have to say that i know enough people who have had "so so" experiences with the forest preschool that you should not assume your experience will be just like the previous poster. currently i have one friend who's child only kind of likes it there, one friend who's pulling her son after 2 months, and me who opted not to send my daughter after an unsettling phone call with the director. now this does not a forest preschool bad make... i just want to say it IS possible not to love it there.

hoping for a !
#12 of 12 Old 02-07-2012, 06:44 PM

We are on the search for a preschool. C'est moi, would you say more about your experience with the forest school? Maybe some things about it that weren't a fit for you? That would be a big help. Any other great schools in MPLs or close you love?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page