Midwife Rosemary Thornton? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 12-07-2010, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone have experience with the midwife, Rosemary Thornton? Please feel free to PM me if preferred. Thanks!

autismribbon.gif

#2 of 19 Old 12-10-2010, 07:05 PM

Rosie attended both of my homebirths. Wonderful Sweet Lady! Very knowledgeable.  I would  for sure have her at my births again! Feel free to PM if you have any further questions!

#3 of 19 Old 12-05-2011, 08:46 AM

Rosemary was my MW durring my pregnancy with my last child Stella. She came off as a wonderful caring person but I found out the hard way how unprofessional she really is. I had a MW appointment on the 27th of October, 2010. I was 37w3d allong with my daughter and mentioned to her decreased fetal movement. She pushed it off as baby was getting ready to arrive anyday. I measured 47cm at my last apmt the week before and only measured 42cm that day. So she figured Stella "dropped". She then had her MW in training do my entire appointment. This girl was about 17years old and had ZERO experience at anyof this. I didnt mind helping one learn but Rosie SHOULDVE done the apmt over again herself to make sure everything was OK. She didnt. I went home after paying full for my himebirth and got the pool prepped and ready. EVERYTHING was in perfect order....or so I thought. 

I awoke the next morning to NO movement and called Rosie. She never answered. I called my OB and was told to come to the hospital right away. I was hooked up to the NST and got only the next 10 mins of hearing my daughters HB before my whole world was shattered. Rosie didnt respond for an hour and a half and left a msg that she was sleeping. 1st she KNEW if I was in labor, that I would go FAST. My other 2 were only 4 hours and the last birth only 45mins!  She wasnt there. I was in the hospital having an emergency Csect of which my daughter would not make it through. She NEVER came to the hospital nor did she even visit me at home or send a card of condolence. I messaged her and asked for my check back, she sent it wrapped in a piece of paper torn from a note book, no letter, not a word. She BAILED on me in my darkest hour of need and all of this couldve been helped if she did her job the day before. My child could be here.  I didnt hear a word for 6 months when I wrote her stating my feelings on how unprofessional it was for her to bail on me. I TRUSTED HER and she shattered that 100%. She responded with a series of lies and excuses as to why she wasnt there for me. Even changed her origional story of the morning i called her. I DO NOT reccomend this MW what so ever. You mine as well go the UC route. There are FAR MORE professional MW's in your area. She had a series of reviews on a webpage that were all bad. She took all the reviews down off the page just reciently. She runs in emergencies. heed the warning and good luck.

Sanveann likes this.
#4 of 19 Old 12-05-2011, 08:56 AM

Here is a link to my blog too, so you know i am not just a troll. I was google searching my MW about her reviews when i came upon this thread.

My Star In Heaven <----

#5 of 19 Old 12-05-2011, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My god, I am so sorry for what was done to you, lilmommakaye. The pictures of your little girl break my heart and the behavior of your midwife is beyond infuriating. I noticed on the everydayhealthlink page she is listed as "Dr. Rosemary Thorton, CNM" and as a registered nurse. However on her page at the wisconsin midwifery guild website and on many more websites, she is listed as a CPM.  It sounds as if she is a CPM. This just demonstrates how difficult it can be to sniff out people's actual credentials, and how widely varied education and training is in midwifery. As a CNM, I would like to think that someone with a master's degree in nurse midwifery would not have made such egregious mistakes. Again, I am so, so sorry for your loss.   

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#6 of 19 Old 07-19-2013, 01:31 PM

Rosie is an excellent midwife. She is super professional and caring - in fact, I have seen her care to the point of tears. She has cared for me during my last 2 pregnancies and I have worked with her professionally with other clients. I HIGHLY recommend her. 

Lilmommakaye - I feel so sensitive to your situation! I have had 3 friends that have gone through a similar loss and the hurt is not foreign to me. I am also a doula and work with many women postpartum. The trauma of what you have gone through is so difficult. However, I don't believe that dragging someone's name and reputation through the mud is the right approach to healing and resolution. Perhaps actually meeting with your MW and discussing the hurt you feel would be a better approach that would yield results rather than a forum such as this. The amount of emotion and grief that you have gone through may have actually caused you to remember things differently than they actually happened. The thing is, I know Rosie and the person you described is not her. In fact, she would be broken to even know you carried this weight and this angst. In my friends' situations, they have pushed people away during the initial shock and loss period of time (which often lasted months) - perhaps Rosie reached out and you don't remember it or you rejected her because the wounds were just too fresh? My desire is that you find a peace and resolution - something that I know only comes from true forgiveness. I will be praying for you. My sincerest apologies for your loss. 

#7 of 19 Old 07-19-2013, 01:33 PM

Rosie would never portray herself as a cnm. She would never lie about her credentials. In fact, she often is the one to explain the differences about cnm's and cpm's to women. Remember that you are writing about a person - let's be kind. 

#8 of 19 Old 07-19-2013, 01:43 PM

I love Rosie. I have had 3 different midwives (2 cpm's and 1 cnm) with my 4 pregnancies. Rosie is the only one I have gone back to for repeat pregnancies. I love that she has a bunch of her own children and she understands first hand the pressures of being a mom. I think of her as my friend first and my midwife 2nd. We also have worked together professionally as I am a doula. Those experiences have been the best for me. I have seen her stick it out with a mom for 39 hrs - and just days before that birth she had a client that she was with for over 40 hrs. She definitely puts her clients first and I would never doubt that for a second. 

She would never portray herself as a cnm - someone posted bad info. In fact, she often educates mamma's about the differences between a cnm and cpm. 

She is professional, caring, and loving - and HUMAN! let's remember that before we take someone's good name and rake them through the coals - no one deserves that. 

#9 of 19 Old 07-24-2013, 11:31 AM

lilmommakaye-

I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds as if both your doctor and your midwife did everything in their power to help you. I know you must be hurting, but I'm not sure it's fair to place so much blame on your midwife. It sounds like everything was done properly concerning your care. Maybe you need to get some healing from this situation by sitting down and talking things through with Mrs. Thornton? It could resolve a lot of the bitterness...

#10 of 19 Old 07-24-2013, 11:43 AM

Hi! Firstly, I'm so sorry to hear about your tragic experience, Kaye!

To everyone else, I'm currently planning my second homebirth with Rosy. I had a natural hospital birth with my first (that I had to fight tooth and nail for). My experience with Rosy was NIGHT AND DAY different. The prenatal care I received was FAR superior with Rosy than with the OB/GYNs. She addressed every aspect of mine and baby's health. She was very professional and compassionate. I felt like she really understood me, and I entered birth knowing I could trust her fully. I also really loved that I could have access to her 24/7 both during my pregnancy and during my postpartum period. Of course, you have to call her HOUSE PHONE first, because she turns off her cell phone when she's sleeping (and midwives sleep at odd times sometimes). It's impossible to get in touch with my backup doctor. Sometimes it takes days...I really appreciate being able to call Rosy whenever I have a concern. 

During the birth of my second child (my first homebirth), I ended up with a stalled second stage due to the fact that my baby's elbow was up by her head. She was lodged in my pelvis. I am so thankful I wasn't in the hospital. I feel sure I would have been pressured to have an unnecessary C-section. Rosy was very calm and suggested different positions. She was very thorough in continually checking baby's heart rate and my vitals. We finally got the baby unlodged and she came out quickly and easily. I had none of the complications that I experienced with my first (hospital) birth.

During my current pregnancy, we had a scare at 12 weeks. I started bleeding...significantly... Rosy came right over to my house (a 45 minute drive!) to check for the heartbeat. It took us about 10 minutes to find the heartbeat, and Rosy was to the point of tears. We both just kept praying, and finally we found the heartbeat! The bleeding stopped a few days later and all was well. It was so great to have someone who genuinely loved and cared for me with me for that difficult time. 

Rosy has always been upfront and honest with me, both about her qualifications and her limitations. I trust her implicitly and recommend her to everyone I know! 

To the OP, GO FOR ROSY! You won't regret it!!!

Best of luck to everyone!

#11 of 19 Old 07-24-2013, 12:01 PM

The appropriate response to a report of decreased movement is a nonstress test, not to blow it off.

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#12 of 19 Old 07-24-2013, 12:09 PM

How do we know the midwife "blew it off?" Maybe she was at another birth at the time...??? If the patient went to the hospital, I'm confused what more a midwife could have done. Not trying to be insensitive, but we can't just use the midwife scapegoat card.

#13 of 19 Old 07-24-2013, 01:39 PM

She should have sent her in for an NST the day the mom told her the baby was not moving as usual.

Also- people blame their OBs for stuff all the time on this site. Why should midwives get a free pass?
mamabear7 likes this.

#14 of 19 Old 07-24-2013, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charis7 View Post

How do we know the midwife "blew it off?" Maybe she was at another birth at the time...??? If the patient went to the hospital, I'm confused what more a midwife could have done. Not trying to be insensitive, but we can't just use the midwife scapegoat card.

According to her first post, she told her midwife about decreased movement at an antenatal appointment and the midwife told her it was "because the baby was getting ready to be born" and did no further investigation.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#15 of 19 Old 07-30-2013, 12:40 PM

http://www.thirdage.com/d/dr/d-902926/burlington/wisconsin/rosemary-a-thornton  <---  where she claims to be a CNM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdoula View Post

Rosie would never portray herself as a cnm. She would never lie about her credentials. In fact, she often is the one to explain the differences about cnm's and cpm's to women. Remember that you are writing about a person - let's be kind. 

She DID tell us she was a CNM. That was my one NEED to make my decision on having her to begin with. She even has it posted on a couple sites.  I trusted her 100% too. Boy was I a fool, and it cost my daughters LIFE.  

Quote:

I love Rosie. I have had 3 different midwives (2 cpm's and 1 cnm) with my 4 pregnancies. Rosie is the only one I have gone back to for repeat pregnancies. I love that she has a bunch of her own children and she understands first hand the pressures of being a mom. I think of her as my friend first and my midwife 2nd. We also have worked together professionally as I am a doula. Those experiences have been the best for me. I have seen her stick it out with a mom for 39 hrs - and just days before that birth she had a client that she was with for over 40 hrs. She definitely puts her clients first and I would never doubt that for a second. 

She would never portray herself as a cnm - someone posted bad info. In fact, she often educates mamma's about the differences between a cnm and cpm. 

She is professional, caring, and loving - and HUMAN! let's remember that before we take someone's good name and rake them through the coals - no one deserves that. 

I posted MY experience, in 100% honestly. As I have every right too. The OP was looking for honest experiences. Mine just happens to be tragic, because of a negligent MW.

Quote:

lilmommakaye-

I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds as if both your doctor and your midwife did everything in their power to help you. I know you must be hurting, but I'm not sure it's fair to place so much blame on your midwife. It sounds like everything was done properly concerning your care. Maybe you need to get some healing from this situation by sitting down and talking things through with Mrs. Thornton? It could resolve a lot of the bitterness...

I have tried to contact her after awhile. She wrote me back with nothing but lies and excuses. Never an apology or compassion. She BAILED, 100%. As I look back at all the warning signs she missed I wouldn't trust her to deliver an animal, let alone a child. :(

She claimed to be sleeping at the time I called. at first. Then changed her story to being at her DDs appointment, which I knew was a lie as well. She had her DDs appointment the day before just before I came for my appointment and PAID HER FULL for the birth. Had I been in labor, she would've missed it, but she was paid. So Im sure it wouldn't have mattered to her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie8681 View Post

She should have sent her in for an NST the day the mom told her the baby was not moving as usual.

Also- people blame their OBs for stuff all the time on this site. Why should midwives get a free pass?

Yes, she should've. And *I* should've listened to myself and not trusted her.

**IN MY EXPERIENCE** she is not trust worthy, but puts on a damn good façade and act as though she is. Sure I can forgive her. but I will never for get nor lead ANYONE into her care, she isn't trust worthy in my opinion. She neglects to wear gloves when checking iron, she brushed off her urine strips not working properly (she told me to ignore one of the colors on the strip saying \they were a fluke bunch) Which could've detected an infection I may have had to lead to stellas demise. A TON TON TON of things she missed, looked over, brushed off. Sad. Im sorely disappointed in her and myself. and I am the one who has to live with the loss and grief of my dead child.  She just brushed it off and carries on like my child never even existed. sick.

#16 of 19 Old 07-30-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:

Rosie is an excellent midwife. She is super professional and caring - in fact, I have seen her care to the point of tears. She has cared for me during my last 2 pregnancies and I have worked with her professionally with other clients. I HIGHLY recommend her. 

Lilmommakaye - I feel so sensitive to your situation! I have had 3 friends that have gone through a similar loss and the hurt is not foreign to me. I am also a doula and work with many women postpartum. The trauma of what you have gone through is so difficult. However, I don't believe that dragging someone's name and reputation through the mud is the right approach to healing and resolution. Perhaps actually meeting with your MW and discussing the hurt you feel would be a better approach that would yield results rather than a forum such as this. The amount of emotion and grief that you have gone through may have actually caused you to remember things differently than they actually happened. The thing is, I know Rosie and the person you described is not her. In fact, she would be broken to even know you carried this weight and this angst. In my friends' situations, they have pushed people away during the initial shock and loss period of time (which often lasted months) - perhaps Rosie reached out and you don't remember it or you rejected her because the wounds were just too fresh? My desire is that you find a peace and resolution - something that I know only comes from true forgiveness. I will be praying for you. My sincerest apologies for your loss. 

She NEVER reached out. I had to contact HER to get my check back! And then she sent it back wrapped in a piece of paper tore from a note book. No letter or note of condolence. NOTHING. She promised shed come to the hospital had there came a point I would have to be there. She PROMISED and she backed out on everything. She lied.  I again contacted her letting heer know how hurt I was from her bailing on us. She wrote back with lies and changed stories. Im 95% sure she changed my reports too. There were ALOT of warning signs with me measuring SOOO over while she was tranverse and I should've been measuring smaller. Clear sign something is wrong. She should've known that.

#17 of 19 Old 08-23-2013, 09:48 PM

Lilmommakaye~ I am so, so sorry to hear of your loss. And I'm very glad you offered your experience here honestly. I'm so glad I read it! I often work with pregnant women and it's good to hear all experiences (and I am looking for a midwife myself for my next pregnancy since my midwife isn't practicing anymore). I completely agree with what Katie offered "She should have sent her in for an NST the day the mom told her the baby was not moving as usual. Also- people blame their OBs for stuff all the time on this site. Why should midwives get a free pass?" We do constantly bash OBs pretty much just for being an OB! Just because someone is a midwife doesn't mean that can't be a bad one-- just like not all OBs are bad. We have to look openly and honestly at outcomes.
junebugmidwife likes this.

Me = Healer, yogini, lactivist, step-mom, and wife to my dream come true joy.gif So grateful-- baby #1 April 2012

#18 of 19 Old 05-21-2014, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Thank you so much for sharing your heartbreaking story lilmommakaye,  I believe that midwives should be held at the same accountability as a O.B.  I'm glad that you posted your story, because it strayed me from a potentially hazardous situation.  I am doing my first homebirth this November, with my third child and Rosemary Thornton is right down the road from me, I almost called her then stumbled upon this post.

Breezy married to my sweetie pie David With two beautiful children that love each other very much and a bun in the oven due Nov. 5th, 2014

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

-Benjamin Franklin

#19 of 19 Old 07-28-2014, 01:30 PM

My Experience

I used Rosy with my second child and she was amazing. She is so caring. Towards the end of my pregnancy my blood pressure shot up. She was with me every step. When my blood pressure didn't go down I was sent to the doctor's office she works with for a non-stress test then ultimately to the hospital to be induced. She offered to come to the hospital to be with me but I told her not to (I didn't see what she could do - I don't have long labors). Even though she didn't come she spent a good amount of time on the phone with my husband who was kind of freaking out over this change of events. She was so patient and sweet with him. All this on the day before Christmas eve. She even came out to my house and followed up with me a couple times, even though I delivered at the hospital - my doctor certainly didn't do that. Now that I'm expecting my third I will call her in a heart beat.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page