Medica Insurance and Home Birth in Minnesota - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-06-2011, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello!!

So I am 24 weeks along and have chosen a home birth! Still haven't found the midwife yet but am having the conversation with my husband. Trying to relieve his fears (funny how that works), this is my third baby with two great natural births in the past.

We have Medica Choice and so far I am under the impression that they will not cover a dime. Wondering if any of you great ladies have delt with Medica and if they ended up covering any of the expence in the end?

THANKS!

Sasha

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2011, 03:32 PM

I have seen them cover one time, and I honestly think it was a fluke!!

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:19 AM

Hi there-

Medica covered my homebirth in 2006. I paid not one red cent. I see you've dug up an old thread about that, so I'll spare you the details! Congrats on your pregnancy and good luck with your birth!

:) Christine

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
Old 03-10-2011, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

You can have them send you a paper copy of the Certificate of Coverage, and read it.  In our experience (2008-9, and 2010-11), Medica has only covered lab work (done at an in-network lab). Our plan specifically excludes homebirth, and we're never come near meeting our high out-of-network deductibles for the prenatal care. 

Old 03-10-2011, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, yes, I believe they do exclude "home birth", just thought they may pick up part of the prenatal and post-natal out of network. Wish we had and Health savings account. We had one at my husband's old job and it was great because you could use it to cover such items.

Thanks for the info!

Old 03-10-2011, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! We are consulting with Kim Garrett and hope to set up a consult with Jeanne Bazille as well. My children go to the Minnesota Waldorf School, a lot of moms have had home births and are such great resources. Love being in a community that embraces such options!

Old 03-11-2011, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

As far as picking apart the prenatals and postpartums, it may work, but depends on your plan. Some of the most recent Medica plans that I have called about to check benefits only cover prenatals and postpartums done by a CNM, in a facility, under the direct supervision of a physician. Lovely, huh?

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

it is so strange that insurance companies don't reward you for the "lower cost" option! it seems they are thrilled to pay for an elective c-section, but for those who choose non-invasive options we get the shaft, makes me mad actually ;).

Old 03-14-2011, 12:49 PM

We have Medica, so we'll see how it goes (I think our billing gets submitted in a few weeks).  DH is a city gov't employee, and technically because of that they are supposed to cover the prenatals.

I think it also depends on who your employer is and which coverage package they chose from Medica.

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

Old 03-14-2011, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

I thought it was mandated in MN that all well checks are covered. I think Medica may get away with den coverage because of the provider. We have Medica Choice, my husband is a provider at Target Clinic. I don't think it is the best plan.

I would love an update to know how it all panned out if you don't mind,

Sasha

User Tag List