Experience with North Memorial, Maple Grove Hospital and/or North Metro Midwives? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-08-2011, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi. I'm almost 12 weeks pregnant with baby #7. I am considering transferring my midwifery care to the North Metro Midwives once we move in April. 

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with them? 

Also, I'm wondering about North Memorial & Maple Grove Hospital. It looks like those are the two hospitals the North Metro Midwives

do deliveries at, so I'm curious about them. I know the Maple Grove Hospital is pretty new, but still hoping someone has some experience to share. I'm also curious if you get to chose the hospital you deliver at with them N.M. Midwives, or if it all depends on how many are in labor and which hospital is less busy. 

Thanks!! Sara

Homeschooling Mama to 6. Waiting for baby #7 to arrive mid September.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2011, 09:17 PM

I am fairly sure that North Memorial has at least one midwife, and also has waterbirth. I think that the Maple Grove hospital has been set up for a 50% c-section rate, which immediately makes me nervous! Good luck and happy interviewing!

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthing View Post I think that the Maple Grove hospital has been set up for a 50% c-section rate, which immediately makes me nervous!

Hi there. I'm curious what you mean by "set up for a 50% c-section rate"...? Thanks, Sara

Old 03-11-2011, 03:25 PM

What I mean by that is they built the actual labor and delivery rooms and operating rooms in preparation for a 50% c-section rate. Meaning that they expect half of the women delivering at that hospital to have a c-section, and they have planned accordingly. I tried to look up what it actually is, but I am not sure of the name of the hospital. Is it Maple Grove hospital?

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

Old 03-14-2011, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

According to their website, yes it is called Maple Grove Hospital. I tried to google c-section ratesfor MN hospitals, but couldn't find them.   

Old 03-15-2011, 09:28 PM

I have a list on my website, but it doesn't include that hospital as they are from 2009, and I think that is when it was opened.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

Old 03-25-2011, 07:06 AM

I delivered at North Memorial with Katherine Simon (through North Metro Midwives). The practice is basically her, she now has two newer midwives working for her but I only met one of them (Ondrea - liked her). I know the emphasis is on continuity of care - they try to have you see the same CNM for all your prenatals and for delivery. I liked that over, say, the Healtheast Midwives - I liked them a lot but there were so many and you're just delivered by whoever's on call.

You can choose North or the Maple Grove Hospital, I went with North based on location and loved it! It's not one of the more "popular" labor and delivery hospitals in the cities, but I had a great experience. Katherine was with me the whole time during labor and the nurses were fantastic. They have birth balls, a waterbirth tub, squat bars, encourage different positions, etc. I had no problem meeting with a lactation consultant several times while there, felt no pressure to circ, and they asked before they gave him his vitamin k shot. Honestly, the only thing that would have made me happier is if the rooms were a bit bigger / nicer (the place could use an aesthetic upgrade). I would definitely go there again. Haven't heard anything much about Maple Grove, but I would be surprised if Katherine would deliver at a hospital with a 50% c-section rate (I would ask her about that, she'll be honest). 

Katherine also helped me a lot with postpartum depression and was very supportive and helped us come up with a plan when I wanted to continue to breastfeed. I can't say enough good things about her. 

PM me if you want more info - I would encourage you to at least check it out! 

me + DH + DS (10/2010)
Never be afraid to do what’s right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society’s punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way. - MLK

Old 04-09-2011, 05:53 PM

I have had two amazing births with North Metro Midwives.  Kathrine was there for both of them (one she was the primary midwife, the other she was basically hanging out and taking pictures because waterbirth was new to North Memorial and they wanted two MWs/waterbirth).

I cannot say enough positive things about this woman - I love her and have so much respect for her as a professional.  The woman gives me a hug when I come in for a pap smear. love.gif

I wound up birthing with North Metro almost by accident - I was supposed to have a homebirth but pre-e dictated otherwise, and my CPM recommended Kathrine.  I went to her for my second birth because I had such a great experience the first time, even though it was a hospital birth.  She has always respected my choices and made me feel very comfortable.  She is the type of MW that will kick a nurse out of the room if she is creating a negative environment.  She does speak her mind and is a straight shooter, so it helps to want those qualities in a provider.  She uses humor a lot to make people comfortable, which I like.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

love.gif

User Tag List