First time travel to MN/WI, please advise. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-04-2011, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Mamas,

I'm flying to Minneapolis in 3 weeks. I've never been there. I will be in the area for 5 days. We'd like to take a day or two and also drive into WI and maybe up to Canada (just to cross the border and use our passports). I have 2 kids (older elementary school aged) and we'd like some suggestions on fun things to see and do. We're excited to get a little respite from the Texas heat. Thanks for any info!

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

#2 of 6 Old 07-04-2011, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well, I'm from St. Cloud originally and there are some good things to see around the state! I wouldn't drive to Canada personally just because it's so dang far!! If you are coming North from the cities i'd stop in Brainerd MN to see Paul Bunyon and visit one of the MANY resorts or just a beach to enjoy a nice swim! Can rent paddle boats or canoes even. I'd visit the Science Museum while in Minneapolis. I'd visit the "north shore" along lake superior in Duluth MN as well. There are beautiful sites- anything from huge ships, waterfalls (in gooseberry falls), light houses. There is also a wildlife museum there and a must-see restaurant called Mom's. I'd definitely recommend visiting http://www.exploreminnesota.com/index.aspx .. I visit Wisconsin once. It was super boring! kind of like driving through Iowa or Nebraska! haha

#3 of 6 Old 07-04-2011, 05:51 PM

Oh. and of course there is VALLEYFAIR! it also has a water park they just expanded. It's just outside the cities a bit

#4 of 6 Old 07-04-2011, 06:59 PM

Valleyfair IS pretty cool, but expensive and technically you aren't supposed to bring your own food in, but we did anyways because we have allergies.  Check their site.  I may have coupons for you if you decide to go.

MN Zoo is open, as is Como Zoo.  MN Zoo might be pretty busy in a few weeks, a new penguin exhibit is opening soon.  Minnehaha Falls.  Yeah Duluth is awesome if you go up that way.

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#5 of 6 Old 07-10-2011, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks for the advice, mamas! I need more info. I found out after I bought the plane tickets that much of the state government is shut down. They won't send me any travel guides and apparently all of the MN state parks are closed. irked.gif  So please keep the suggestions coming my way!  Thanks!

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

#6 of 6 Old 07-12-2011, 12:59 PM

MN Zoo in Apple Valley was closed for 2 days, but now it is open again.  I'm pretty sure Como is still open and not affected.  Other than that yeah, the State Parks and such are closed :(

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page