Where can I buy gentian violet locally? Twin Cities area - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-04-2011, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My co-op in Burnsville doesn't carry it.  Last ditch effort to try and get rid of skin yeast on myself :( I'm on my second antifungal cream and it's just getting worse.  DD has it too but I cannot use it for her because it will stain diapers, although I suppose I could temporarily go disposable.

Thanks!

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#2 of 8 Old 07-05-2011, 07:18 AM

I got mine at walgreens smile.gif

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#3 of 8 Old 07-05-2011, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Hmm, maybe only certain Walgreens carries it.  I called one by my house and they said they don't have it.

#4 of 8 Old 07-05-2011, 05:34 PM

I'm not from MN, I just saw your post and remembered where I got mine. Any pharmacy should order it for you, but Im sure you are wanting it because you have thrush now?

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#5 of 8 Old 07-31-2011, 07:56 AM

I got mine at Walgreens too.  It is in the pharmacy but you can get it without a prescription.

#6 of 8 Old 07-31-2011, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!  The couple times I inquired about it, Walgreens didn't tell me I could order it and it would be there the next day!  Finally the third time the pharmacy said that.  So I used it (4 days too long though, whoops) and it's the only thing I've tried so far that seemed to work.  I'm still healing so it's hard to tell if it got all the yeast but I think so (I still have it systemically though).

#7 of 8 Old 07-31-2011, 12:44 PM

Quickly wanted to relate my experience with gentian violet.  I thought I had a yeast infection/thrush on my nipples since nursing had gotten to be pretty uncomfortable (DS2 is 16 months)...I kind of self-diagnosed with some phone help from a knowledgeable friend.  I went to CVS to get g.v.  She had said he would be able to nurse through it with no problem.  Well, I think I got the wrong kind somehow because it was so bitter!  He wouldn't nurse after I put it on, so I tried a drop out of the bottle and WHOA was it bitter!  Maybe if I'd asked at my local health food store they could've steered me in the right direction.  If you know what you're doing with g.v., more power to you...I didn't know but was trying to "go natural" with it, and am lucky that my ignorance didn't make anything bad happen to me or DS.  I am thankful CVS has such a great return policy.  Also, it turned out I didn't have anything other than the return of A.F.!

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#8 of 8 Old 07-31-2011, 05:13 PM

cadensmomma,
Its super bitter! I tasted it last time, and I thought it was super gross. I actually mixed put lemon juice on my boobs followed by a TINY bit of agave syrup so that the lemon juice would kill the taste and the syrup would encourage her to nurse ( bag.gif ). I was going to use it in her mouth too for her thrush, but it was just too gross. I used ACV instead and she loved the taste of it. And now she loves pickles. I think they are related smile.gif

SIDS happens. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page