Midwife options in Southern Minnesota? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-21-2011, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm looking for anyone that has had any experience with the midwives working in the S. MN area. I live near Mankato, MN and I could only find 3 of them. One in St. Peter, one in Faribault, and one in Hartland? Please let me know if there are any more. Just wanted to know if anyone has had a homebirth with these ladies and what their experience was? Good or bad? Also does insurance cover midwife care at all, I have BCBS?

Happily married since '06 joy.gif SAHM to DS biggrinbounce.gif Asher born April of '08 and DD energy.gifEvangeline born April of '09. Expecting stork-suprise.gif and planning our first h20homebirth.gif in February of 2012.

#2 of 6 Old 07-23-2011, 03:50 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)

Moving this to the Minnesota, Wisconsin forum. 

#3 of 6 Old 07-23-2011, 10:50 AM

I'm guessing the Faribault midwife is Nickie Kerrigan with Helping Hands Birth Services?  I just had my baby a few days ago and used her and her apprentices.  I had a wonderful experience.  I would get pregnant again right now just so I could use them again.  I HIGHLY recommend them.

#4 of 6 Old 07-23-2011, 08:58 PM

I had my little girl three months ago with Erika Urban from St. Peter and it was a fantastic experience from the prenatals to the the birth to the postpartum care.  I would highly recommend her!  Rachel Knudsen from Hartland was her back-up at the birth and she was wonderful as well, she was sort of like my doula during my pushing stage--very helpful.  A friend of mine has had two births with Rachel that both went very smoothly, too.  

I am in the the midst of working out the insurance stuff right now.  There were some errors on the BCBS end that I am dealing with, but have gotten at least one small check from them so far, don't know if there will be more.  Here's the thing, at least with my BCBS policy.  It says in my maternity coverage that pre-natal care by a "health care professional" is supposed to be covered 100%, whether in network or out, minus any difference between the actual charge and BCBS's Allowed Amount if out, which homebirth midwives are.  So the more of my costs I can get coded and covered as prenatal care, the more likely I might get more money back since my policy otherwise specifically excludes homebirth. Since Erica and I had signed a contract last fall stating what her charges are per prenatal appointment and I mailed in her invoice to BCBS stating the dates of my appointments, I am hoping that will make a good case for getting a fair amount of my money back.  

We'll see, fingers crossed!

jennyfah and moodymomma like this.
#5 of 6 Old 07-25-2011, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. I talked to Erika first but she is unavailable the month that I'm due. I'm meeting with Rachael tomorrow. I called my insurance and they stated that they only cover Nurse midwives in a hospital or facility. I might still keep track of all appointments and cost and see where it gets me. Even getting a little back would be nice. This will be my first HB, so I'm both a little nervous but very excited about it.

Happily married since '06 joy.gif SAHM to DS biggrinbounce.gif Asher born April of '08 and DD energy.gifEvangeline born April of '09. Expecting stork-suprise.gif and planning our first h20homebirth.gif in February of 2012.

#6 of 6 Old 08-08-2011, 07:32 AM

I used Nickie Kerrigan and she did a really nice job.  It was my first baby and she was a calm and confident presence.

rocks.jpg

MinneapolisMama likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page