Homebirth midwife in Twin Cities area - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-27-2011, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a first time mom (10 wks) and am planning to have a homebirth. I have interviewed several midwives and I was wondering if anyone has used these particular midwives and what your experience was, good, bad or indifferent. The midwives I have interviewed are Kate Saumweber-Hogan, Jenny Hall, Erika Urban and Aly Folin. Also if you think there is someone else I absolutely.need to interview I am open to suggestions.

Homebirthing, bedsharing, term breastfeeding attached mama to my baby girl born 7/20/2012. I love to knit.gifsewmachine.gif and bellyhair.gif. I am passionate about familybed1.gifbfinfant.giflearning.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif and trying to make all kinds of crafty things for my little one!
#2 of 11 Old 12-27-2011, 01:39 PM

Kate Saumweber was present at the birth of my son (and many of my pre- and post-natal apointments) back when she was still a Midwife Assistant at Health Foundations Birth Center. I absolutely loved her! I thought she was wonderful, very calm and knowledgeable and just lovely to be around.

I had my son at a free standing birth center (Health Foundations Birth Center in St. Paul), and am going through them again for my current pregnancy, for which I'm planning a home birth. I can't say enough good things about Health Foundations. I'd suggest checking them out if you're interested; you can still have a home birth, but you would have your prenatal apointements there. They're located in a gorgeous old house turned birth center on Grand Ave. http://health-foundations.com/

Good luck!

read.gif Mom of two amazing boys: blahblah.gif (9/14/10) and joy.gif (7/8/12)  Married to my bikenew.gif best friend 

Proudly slingboy.gif  cd.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif familybed2.gif signcirc1.gif treehugger.gif

#3 of 11 Old 12-28-2011, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your input! I will check into Health Foundations as well. Your experience with Kate was in line with my sense of her, so it's nice to have someone else verify what I was thinking.

Homebirthing, bedsharing, term breastfeeding attached mama to my baby girl born 7/20/2012. I love to knit.gifsewmachine.gif and bellyhair.gif. I am passionate about familybed1.gifbfinfant.giflearning.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif and trying to make all kinds of crafty things for my little one!
#4 of 11 Old 12-29-2011, 11:01 AM

I used Trilium - Clare and Emme for my son. And would recommend them as well as Health Foundations Birth Center and Morningstar birth center - if you're looking for a center option as well.

Amy - mama to dd 2/2007 and ds who arrived 2/2010 my VBAC
                  Comfy Cozy Diapers
Newborn Rentals, Military Discount, Free Layaway

14 Day Guarantee - Return diapers if you don't like them

Follow us on Facebook & Twitter

#5 of 11 Old 12-29-2011, 02:18 PM

I used Jeanne Bazille for four of my babies. Love her!

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#6 of 11 Old 02-11-2012, 09:04 AM

So glad you included Jenny Hall in your search!  Jenny and Maureen Dahl were my midwives last December (2011).  I saw Jenny for all of my appointments and she was at the birth.  She is sweet, calm, knowledgeable, organized!, and easy to be with.  I would recommend her.

#7 of 11 Old 05-23-2012, 02:28 PM

Hey! I am thinking of using Maureen Dahl as well but have not met with her yet.  If you do not mind what are the approximate costs to use Maureen?  We are trying to plan accordingly, thanks in advance!!!!

Candace

#8 of 11 Old 05-24-2012, 12:32 PM

We have been using Erika this pregnancy and it's going really well so far. We had a planned homebirthwith our last pregnancy that failed and it ended up being a very bad experience (and it appears that person is no longer a HB midwife.)  I'm almost to the third trimester and with things going so well with Erika, I can now see how bad they were actually going during my last pregnancy. I don't have any complaints so far. Erika will really listen to your preferences and communicates well with you, which I appreciate. My friend used Erika for a successful VBA2C and had a great birth experience.  Good luck on your search!

Sarah, Mommy to DD age 6, DD age3 , and TTC #3.
#9 of 11 Old 05-24-2012, 08:54 PM

I am not sure when you posted this, so maybe you have already decided on a midwife, but I am friends with Aly Folin - it's strange to see her name on here.  I haven't personally used her, but many of my friends have.  I know that she is a compassionate individual with lots of experience and knowledge.  Good Luck

Happy Wifey to DH tiphat.gifand loving Momma to DS1 superhero.gif 4yrs and DS2  babyboy.gif 6 months

#10 of 11 Old 07-08-2012, 07:36 PM

Just fyi, Rolla Crandall helped my son come into the world at home 16 years ago and I remain grateful to her.  I would recommend her to anyone.  At that time she also worked as a doula with women giving birth in hospitals.  She's in the northwest part of the Twin Cities.

#11 of 11 Old 07-17-2012, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks All for the input! Just an update: I am currently 39 weeks and decided on Kate Saumweber-Hogan and have truly loved every minute of my care. She is very compassionate and understanding while being very knowledgeable and informed. I would highly recommend her to anyone looking into a homebirth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page