Mothering Forum banner

Homebirth midwife in Twin Cities area

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  KnittinKitten 
#1 ·
I am a first time mom (10 wks) and am planning to have a homebirth. I have interviewed several midwives and I was wondering if anyone has used these particular midwives and what your experience was, good, bad or indifferent. The midwives I have interviewed are Kate Saumweber-Hogan, Jenny Hall, Erika Urban and Aly Folin. Also if you think there is someone else I absolutely.need to interview I am open to suggestions.

#2 ·
Kate Saumweber was present at the birth of my son (and many of my pre- and post-natal apointments) back when she was still a Midwife Assistant at Health Foundations Birth Center. I absolutely loved her! I thought she was wonderful, very calm and knowledgeable and just lovely to be around.

I had my son at a free standing birth center (Health Foundations Birth Center in St. Paul), and am going through them again for my current pregnancy, for which I'm planning a home birth. I can't say enough good things about Health Foundations. I'd suggest checking them out if you're interested; you can still have a home birth, but you would have your prenatal apointements there. They're located in a gorgeous old house turned birth center on Grand Ave. http://health-foundations.com/

Good luck!

#3 ·
Thank you so much for your input! I will check into Health Foundations as well. Your experience with Kate was in line with my sense of her, so it's nice to have someone else verify what I was thinking.

#4 ·
I used Trilium - Clare and Emme for my son. And would recommend them as well as Health Foundations Birth Center and Morningstar birth center - if you're looking for a center option as well.

#8 ·
We have been using Erika this pregnancy and it's going really well so far. We had a planned homebirthwith our last pregnancy that failed and it ended up being a very bad experience (and it appears that person is no longer a HB midwife.) I'm almost to the third trimester and with things going so well with Erika, I can now see how bad they were actually going during my last pregnancy. I don't have any complaints so far. Erika will really listen to your preferences and communicates well with you, which I appreciate. My friend used Erika for a successful VBA2C and had a great birth experience. Good luck on your search!

#9 ·
I am not sure when you posted this, so maybe you have already decided on a midwife, but I am friends with Aly Folin - it's strange to see her name on here. I haven't personally used her, but many of my friends have. I know that she is a compassionate individual with lots of experience and knowledge. Good Luck

#10 ·
Just fyi, Rolla Crandall helped my son come into the world at home 16 years ago and I remain grateful to her. I would recommend her to anyone. At that time she also worked as a doula with women giving birth in hospitals. She's in the northwest part of the Twin Cities.

#11 ·
Thanks All for the input! Just an update: I am currently 39 weeks and decided on Kate Saumweber-Hogan and have truly loved every minute of my care. She is very compassionate and understanding while being very knowledgeable and informed. I would highly recommend her to anyone looking into a homebirth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.