Natural Alt Vax/No Vax friendly Pediatrician or Family Practice Doc in Twin Cities area - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-27-2012, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 36 weeks with my first and looking for a doctor that is open to natural health and an alternative vax or no vax schedule. I already have an herbalist that I love and plan to do most care with her, but want to have a backup and relationship established with a doctor in case we decide to vax or baby needs antibiotics at some some point. We live in Lakeville but are willing to drive for good care.

Homebirthing, bedsharing, term breastfeeding attached mama to my baby girl born 7/20/2012. I love to knit.gifsewmachine.gif and bellyhair.gif. I am passionate about familybed1.gifbfinfant.giflearning.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif and trying to make all kinds of crafty things for my little one!
#2 of 13 Old 06-28-2012, 12:51 AM

A friend of mine goes to Jane Runzheimer at the Allina Clinic in Northfield and loves her. Says, "everything is appealing about her except she's really hard to get an appointment with in a timely manner. She REALLY listens, never pushes meds/shots, she's open to non-conventional medicine, she's ever-so-kind and gentle and lovely."

I am actually going in for a first checkup with her next month since my primary left for another clinic.  

#3 of 13 Old 07-06-2012, 08:07 AM

We see Dr. John Anderson at HCMC Richfield clinic.  He is very nice about us getting no shots, though he does offer every time just to make sure I haven't changed my mind.  :)

#4 of 13 Old 07-06-2012, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback! DH and I are at a total loss on the vax issue. We have looked at Dr. Sears' book a bunch and find the information to be somewhat conflicting. On one hand he basically supports the CDCs schedule, but then in the back he talks about the safe levels of aluminum for a baby and every shot has more than that. Sorry for the vent, Thank you both so much for the help!

Homebirthing, bedsharing, term breastfeeding attached mama to my baby girl born 7/20/2012. I love to knit.gifsewmachine.gif and bellyhair.gif. I am passionate about familybed1.gifbfinfant.giflearning.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif and trying to make all kinds of crafty things for my little one!
#5 of 13 Old 07-06-2012, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback! DH and I are at a total loss on the vax issue. We have looked at Dr. Sears' book a bunch and find the information to be somewhat conflicting. On one hand he basically supports the CDCs schedule, but then in the back he talks about the safe levels of aluminum for a baby and every shot has more than that. Sorry for the vent, Thank you both so much for the help!

#6 of 13 Old 07-06-2012, 11:04 AM

OP-- Where are you delivering?  That might help you make a decision if the doctor you want to see is affiliated with a certain facility for any future health care issues.

Whoops, just saw your siggie-- congrats on a water homebirth!  We did the same here in Northfield a year ago, it was one of the best decisions we ever made.  However, which hospital would you go to in case of an unexpected transfer?

I'd say, if your herbalist is going to be your primary caregiver, discuss the vax issue with her.  I am guessing though that most herbalists are not big fans of vaccination.

#7 of 13 Old 07-12-2012, 01:10 PM

KnittnKitten - If your husband is willing, I strongly recommend you attend this class together.  It is a vaccine info class done by a chiropractor in Plymouth.  He fully explains how vaccines work in the body, why they even have alluminum, etc...  He is not pushy either way, though he does not vax his own kids.  The class is very scientific and was super helpful for me when we were just learning about this.  http://www.y-chiropractic.com/cgi-bin/calendar/mainMonth.cgi

#8 of 13 Old 07-16-2012, 08:52 PM

OP-- You must be getting really close to your due date.  Best wishes to you!  Did you find someone you are satisfied with for a doc, or are you waiting until after the birth to get it all lined up?

#9 of 13 Old 07-17-2012, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Christine: Thanks so much for the class recommendation!

Snguyen: If we transfer we will go to St. Joe's. We have decided to go with Rachael Rapacz, at least for our first well baby check up. She came highly recommended from our midwife and a good friend of mine just started with her. She had her babies at home and apparently doesn't push anything. She is in Brooklyn Park though, so we are still open to others. It is just easier right now with me being 39 weeks to just take it one step at a time and not try to interview a bunch of potential docs.

Thank you both so much for your help and support! I love this community, it is so helpful!

#10 of 13 Old 08-02-2012, 07:14 PM

OP-- I'm guessing you have had your baby by now.  I hope all went well!  Let us know how you are doing and how your birth went when you feel up to it.  joy.gif

Blessings!

#11 of 13 Old 03-14-2013, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

I'm sorry it has taken so long to update. I had a baby girl born 7/20/2012 at home, into her papa's hands. Labor was 6 hours. Still trying to find the right doctor, too.

#12 of 13 Old 04-25-2013, 08:04 AM

I use Dr Clevenger at Healtheast Grand ave in st paul.  Not close but she's been great with my son and now our newborn daughter.  She never pressures us about any vax decisions and she suggests alternative medicine when possible.  I believe she is certified in Chinese medicine also.

Congrats on your new baby and good luck on your ped search!

#13 of 13 Old 04-25-2013, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mugglesmom! I'm fine with going to St.Paul smile.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page