Midwife recommendations for Twin Cities?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-28-2014, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello! I'm looking for midwife recommendations in the Twin City area. I would love to have a natural birth, but I doubt my abilities. I had a hard time with my first, poor pain tolerance? Idk, but I didn't have a midwife to guide me. I am looking for a midwife that would be willing to help me even if I opt for an epidural but I would be so thankful to find a midwife who really knows her work and maybe even guide me without an epidural? Anyone? Any recommendations?? I live close to the university (U of Minnesota) But am willing to travel a bit (30-40 minutes or so? for a good midwife).

#2 of 7 Old 01-29-2014, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

There are several midwives in the twin cities. I assume you are asking for personal recommendations, so I am bumping this for you!

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#3 of 7 Old 01-29-2014, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian'smommaya View Post

There are several midwives in the twin cities. I assume you are asking for personal recommendations, so I am bumping this for you!

I am, thank you! This would be my first time giving birth in MN so any help on finding a good midwife is much appreciated!

#4 of 7 Old 01-30-2014, 07:40 PM

I love the Park Nicollet midwives out of Methodist hospital in St. Louis Park (probably 15 minutes from you). I switched to them halfway through my second baby's pregnancy after interviewing a few. My recommendation is to find a midwife only group. Not a midwife within an OBGYN group- they are more "med-wives," not midwives. I had a c-section at 35 weeks with my first due to a birth defect we knew he had. I had a drug free, natural VBAC at almost 42 weeks with my second and can't wait to use the Park Nicollet midwives and go to Methodist again with baby #3. I specifically love Carrie Sauder CNM, but honestly, they are all great. They have a meet the midwives night twice a year, so maybe that's coming up? Good luck!
#5 of 7 Old 01-31-2014, 07:58 AM

I highly recommend attending some parent topic nights here:  http://childbirthcollective.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52&Itemid=55

It also depends if you are looking at a hospital or homebirth. 

(I hear you about the pain, my first was sunny side up and the contractions were excrutiating, I finally ended up with an epidural/Pitocin/vacuum which I did not want any of that.  My second was born at home.  Labor went much faster, 10 hours total vs. 40 something, the last 2 hours were also excrutiating pain but I got through it even though she had a nuchal hand and shoulder dystocia, which was fixed quickly by my extremely knowledgeable midwife).

There are also a couple birth centers (st. Louis park and st. paul) if you are interested in that option.

I didn't try Hypnobabies but Lindsay is an awesome instructor and very knowledgeable. http://elleosbirth.com/

look at my post here for links to lists of midwives:  http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1290654/twin-cities-homebirth-midwife-suggestions

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#6 of 7 Old 01-31-2014, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

This is all great info! Thank you ladies. I like the idea of being home the same day I deliver and fast recovery. I was in the hospital for four days with first birth. Poking and prodding every 2 hrs! I was more tired from that than the labor! I'm thinking of making appointments at the local birth centers and talking to the midwives about my fears and see what they have to say. I'm hopeful I can "do it". But if I'm too afraid in the end I'll probably go with a hospital midwife (home births aren't covered by my insurance).

@Ophelia I looked up Lindsay! So much interesting information. I forgot about essential oils and all they can do! A friend is really into them. I'm ready to go buy some and reap the benefits! Goodbye headaches and morning sickness?! Too good to be true?!

#7 of 7 Old 03-03-2014, 07:47 AM

I switched late in pregnancy to the North Metro Midwives and highly recommend them! They birth at abbott's brand new mother baby center. I had a fantastic experience there in late January of this year. I had a completely natural birth and prepared for birth with the hypnobabies philosophy. I felt completely supported by the midwives and hospital staff in my desires for a natural birth. I never got any push back about my "birth preferences", they were very thorough in explaining to my husband when the cord had stopped pulsing for him to cut it. DD and I must have spent two hours skin to skin after birth before anyone even asked about taking her off to weigh and measure. We declined some of the newborn procedures (eye ointment, bath, hep b vx) and didn't get any push back. We also hired a doula and she was as welcome in the birthing process as anyone.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page