HELP!! I need a midwife recommendation... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-14-2008, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi!

I am new here. My husband and I are ttc #1 :

I would like to start seeing a midwife and establish a relationship before we get pregnant. I want to be proactive. I have researched hospitals in the area and St. Joe's seems very promising. I am open to home birth as well...dh was a little unsure for a while but is thinking it may be a possibility. Either way--hospital or homebirth, I know I for sure want a doula, so recommendations there would be helpful too.

Thank you so much for helping me, I really don't know where to start.
#2 of 14 Old 09-14-2008, 10:59 AM

I'm guessing you're in MSP, no? If so, we can help, since we'll soon be having a baby at St. Joe's with a great midwife and a great doula.

For doulas, check out the Childbirth Collective, which has "parent night" topics every week. The presentations are done by doulas, so you have a chance to meet several. They'll also have a list of all the doulas in their organization (which is not the only one in town, but a good one). We met our doula at one of their "all about doulas" sessions. (She's Rebecca Feyder, and we think she's great.)

Our midwife is Rebeca Barroso, who practices at Salud Integral in the Dayton's Bluff neighborhood of St. Paul. We think she's great too.

But there are lots of great midwives and doulas in the Twin Cities. We're very lucky. St. Joe's, by the way, has been called the "gold standard for natural birth" in terms of hospitals.... (can't remember who called it that, but we thought that was cool!)
#3 of 14 Old 09-19-2008, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

thank you! anyone else?? looking for lots of recommendations :-)
#4 of 14 Old 09-19-2008, 03:58 PM

i have not had a child, but i am a doula in saint paul and if i had a baby right now i would check out dr. amy johnson grass, a midwife and natropathic doctor.

good luck!

http://www.dramyjohnsongrass.com/healthfoundations.htm
#5 of 14 Old 09-19-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintpauldoula View Post
i have not had a child, but i am a doula in saint paul and if i had a baby right now i would check out dr. amy johnson grass, a midwife and natropathic doctor.

good luck!

http://www.dramyjohnsongrass.com/healthfoundations.htm
Dr. Amy Johnson-Grass is a midwife/naturopath who only attends HB's. FYI.

For a list of area HB midwives check out Minnesota Families for Midwifery.

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#6 of 14 Old 09-19-2008, 09:15 PM

HealthEast Clinics have some great midwives.
http://healtheast.org
They don't do home births but some of them used to.

I would recommend Kari Dickson or Anne Johnson.

HealthEast also has something they call "Meet the midwives" and you could call any of there clinics and find outh when the next one is.

Also, they do waterbirths which in my opinion is a real plus.

Good luck
#7 of 14 Old 09-22-2008, 11:28 AM

Older thread with tons of info: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=717975

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#8 of 14 Old 11-10-2008, 04:07 PM

If you are planning a hospital birth, I cannot endorse St. Joe's enough. I gave birth to my son Calder at St. Joe's on Nov. 15th, 2007 and I had an incredible expirience. While my best laid plans did not come to fruition and I ended up with a c-section, I received phenomenal care at St. Joe's. The St. Paul birth collective is informative and friendly I met my doula, Dawn Heinen, there. We used Generations Women's Healthcare in Shoreview for midwifery care. They are open to alternatives to a standard induction (if you ever got to such a point) and we delayed plans to allow for a accupuncture/accupressure induction (which worked beautifully).
#9 of 14 Old 11-12-2008, 11:51 PM

12 years ago my midwife was Rolla Crandall, in New Brighton, I think (north west suburb). She attended our home birth and also would go as a doula to hospital births. If I ever had another babe, I would want her by my side again. She was really good, skilled, patient, kind. I haven't talked with her for quite a few years, though, so I don't know what she's doing now.

-Dancy
#10 of 14 Old 11-22-2008, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for the great recommendations...I went to Generations and was happy with my visit, not quite what I was expecting, but it was alright...I had to wait in the waiting room for 45 min past my new patient appointment time, but mary was nice. I have heard such great things about generation...but they were from a couple years ago when they had mary and a different staff...any one use them more recently and have a good experience??

I would really like to go to a "natural" birth hospital (if there is such a thing) with one midwife who I have seen from day one...and know that SHE will be there during the delivery. With Generations it could be any of the three midwifes. Is there anyone out there like that??

If I cannot find someone, I am thinking of going with homebirth. I actually emailed a midwife a lot of people raved about, and never received a response. And I called a doula everyone has raved about on ms...she had really bad morning sickness...it has actually been over nine months since then and she hasn't called me back. Not that I am complaining...I was just waiting for her to call me back since I know morning sickness can last the entire pregnancy and I didn't want to bug her.

Please help me feel like I should keep trying...I am feeling like homebirth just isn't the path I should follow.
#11 of 14 Old 11-23-2008, 11:08 AM

Well, I think calling is most effective either way.

It sounds as if you will be most happy with a homebirth.

I have not heard of any practice where you will get the same midwife for prenatal that you do at the birth. Unless you do a homebirth.

Although you can come close with Generations seeing they only have the 3 midwives total. I personally have had Mary for my last 3.

No it's not a homebirth, but I feel she is naturally minded. I give birth drug-free, this last time I was asking for something late in the game. She kept me focused and knew I could do it without.

I have a half dozen friends who go to Generations. Ladies who have been to other midwives in the Twin Cities. They are all very happy there and can't believe the difference. (these are not homebirth type ladies, to clarify)

But, if I were you and had to choose hospital vs homebirth I would go homebirth. It's an incredible experience to give birth in your own home. (Very empowering!)
#12 of 14 Old 11-23-2008, 03:18 PM

If you want a midwife who will be sure to be at your birth you may want to interview Katherine Simon, CNM. She has a practice with one other partner, but tends to be at all of "her" births. She attends births at North Memorial Medical Center, which is now supporting water births with the Midwives.

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#13 of 14 Old 02-12-2009, 09:10 PM

Hi Maui,

I am due 4/8 with baby #1 and have been going to generations to see the midwives. I decided I wasn't ready to take the hb leap even though I really strongly considered it. I liked that I would only get one of the three midwives as opposed to HealthEast's two dozen. I am delivering at St. Joe's.

What did you decide? Are you going to Generations? Will you have a labor doula? I am researching them and was just going through old threads for recommendations.

Hope all is well!
#14 of 14 Old 03-09-2009, 06:18 PM

I am expecting my first baby as well and I see the Midwives at HCMC and will deliver on their unit.
http://www.hcmc.org/a_z/nurse-mid/nurse-midwife.htm
I am very happy with the care I am recieving so far and I hope to have a waterbirth :-D

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page