Has anyone used BirthWise Health and Birth Center in Appleton, WI? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-03-2008, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://wisconsinbirthcenter.com/?page_id=52

I am newly pregnant with our 4th child and really want to have a water birth. BirthWise is located right across the street from St.Elizabeth's Hospital which is where I had my first 3 children.

Our insurance has changed since my last baby was born though so now we'd be going to either AMC or Theda Clark - neither offers water birth.

I know Mercy does but that's not in our plan.

I'd still have to call my insurance company to see if the birth center would be covered anyway but thought I'd first see if anyone used this birth center and what their thoughts were. Or if you haven't if you could take a look at the site and tell me your thoughts.

I'm not considered high risk, although I was + for GBS all 3 times. My first came at 35 weeks, my water broke on it's own for no apparent reason. He was okay though and we just dealt with a little jaundice.

My second, my water broke on it's own at 38 weeks and that birth was also uneventful. I had epidurals for both of those babies.

My third was a different story. I went in for my 38 week appt. and was 3-4cm so my DR. asked me if I'd like to get started that afternoon and I said sure. I got there at about 11am and got settled in and since my contractions weren't really picking up they gave me cervidil (sp?). Now I don't remember which order things happened next but I requested an epidural and my DR. decided to break my water. The epidural started to work but once my water breaks it takes off on it's own & it never worked. My DD was born by 2:20ish that afternoon. From the time my water was broke until she was born was only a matter of an hour.

I guess I'm scared of another delivery like that because I had no time to even prepare and it was out of my control pain wise. The contractions started hard and stayed that way until it was over.

I've changed a lot of my ideals since her birth and really hadn't planned on a 4th but in the end decided to go for it. I really want to have the water birth so I can feel more in control. To deliver w/o pain meds was very empowering and I'd like to do it again but in a controlled atmosphere.

Sorry for the book - I really just want to know about the Birth Center LOL
#2 of 6 Old 10-04-2008, 12:37 AM

I do not have any experience but I check out their site and I drive by around once a week. It sounds like a nice place. If I lived in the area I'd definately check it out for myself. It wouldn't hurt to take the free tour and then go from there.

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#3 of 6 Old 10-04-2008, 09:01 PM

my doula recommended that place to me. i live north of green bay though and didnt fancy the drive down there in the midst of labor
#4 of 6 Old 10-09-2008, 04:37 PM

Your not going to find too many people that have used it yet since she's only been open a brief time and had a baby of her own in there too.

The CPM there (Jill Coulter) is very good and attended my homebirth in 2005. If you have specifics questions please PM me.
#5 of 6 Old 11-01-2008, 06:38 PM

Hi,

I had a home birth with Jill Coulter in January 2008 and was very happy with the experience. I had my first in a birth center in MA, but then we moved to Appleton so I wanted to find a center here. Birthwise wasn't open in time for my daughter, but I decided to go with the home route with Jill and it went well. I've toured the birth center though, and it looks great. One of the things that Jill told me is that she carries all the things to a home birth that she has at the birth center, so it's a matter of where you feel the most comfortable.

I know that Jill has experience with waterbirth. I planned to have one with dd, but she actually came more quickly than we thought so I never made it to the tub

About insurance -- our's covered Jill as an out-of-network provider, but it actually ended up being less espensive for us to pay her out of pocket. She works with a biller who can help you figure out how your coverage works.

If you want to talk more, PM me. I'm happy to share more details. You might also look into the upcoming Pregnancy Fair at the Mom and Pop place in Neenah -- I think Jill usually tries to come to those (if she's not attending a birth) and other folks like doulas, chiropractors, etc. come too. (Plus, it's a fun place to go anyway, and I think you get free stuff).

Good luck with your birth!
#6 of 6 Old 11-01-2008, 08:52 PM

I have not birthed in the birth center, but I had Andi Raine for my midwife this year in Feb. for a homebirth and she does births at Birthwise. I absolutely love her! I am still friends with her too. I would recommend her to anyone.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page