Birth clinics in MN? - Mothering Forums
Minnesota, Wisconsin > Birth clinics in MN?
Iriemama's Avatar Iriemama 09:53 PM 10-08-2008
Does anyone know if there are any birth clinics in MN? I didn't think there were, but a friend of mine disagrees. I did a google search and came up with nothing. This would be wonderful news to me if there is in fact a birth clinic here.

TIA.

MsMoMpls's Avatar MsMoMpls 12:46 AM 10-09-2008
It is my understanding that due to the strength of the medical and hospital professions in MN, there are no free standing birth centers and it would be difficult to get one opened. The closest in in Menomonie Wisconsin- an hour west of the Cities.
cheenya's Avatar cheenya 11:18 AM 10-09-2008
I also don't believe there are any free standing birth centers in MN, although I think the Long Prarie hospital comes close due to the work of one of the midwives, Ruth. There are two great birthing suites and they are in their own little wing of a very small (under 50 bed, maybe a lot under, I don't remember) hospital. The doctors there are also very friendly toward natural birth. They supported all my choices while I chose to wait almost a full week after my water broke before going into labour with DD.
That said, it is still a hospital, there is still more monitering than I had with my DS at home, there are still nurses who you have never met attending you during labor and birth, etc. Overall though, its a more homey choice than most hospitals.
Tine's Avatar Tine 12:36 PM 10-09-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMoMpls View Post
It is my understanding that due to the strength of the medical and hospital professions in MN, there are no free standing birth centers and it would be difficult to get one opened. The closest in in Menomonie Wisconsin- an hour west of the Cities.
Yup, that's my understanding too.

My MW (a homebirth CNM) knew of -- and I think was involved in -- years of efforts to open a freestanding birth center here. She said the resistance and bureaucracy were incredible, and that it would be a long fight before we'd see another one. (There used to be one in the Moorhead area.)
jljeppson's Avatar jljeppson 12:37 AM 10-10-2008
Yep, I used to work with the midwife that had the Moorhead one and she only had it open between 1-2 yrs. Costs were too high and had to fight with insurance. That midwife isn't even practicing anymore; she ended up retiring 2 yrs ago and moved out of state, and then out of the country.
Up