Question about cut-off dates for starting school in WI - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-09-2008, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds was born on Sept 15th - I thought that the official cut-off date here was Sept 1st - Does anyone know if this is flexible or not? Can he test to get into kindergarten? He has a friend that's 3mo older - so he will be starting k next year - and ds is so pumped to start school, I really don't want him to wait another 2 years!

We will be doing Connections Academy also - a virtual public school based in Appleton - I don't know yet if that makes a difference?

Thanks!!!
#2 of 5 Old 10-09-2008, 04:29 PM

Appleton has an official board policy and procedures about early entry to school. I forget what the actual policy is though, but I'm sure if you called the district office they would look it up for you.

WI schools can do early entry but the individual school districts can make up their own rules.
#3 of 5 Old 10-10-2008, 12:45 PM

You may also want to check and see if your school district does 4-year-old pre-K. Many school districts in WI do.

http://www.aasd.k12.wi.us/About/
#4 of 5 Old 10-10-2008, 06:45 PM

I would check with the academy. Here in Madison it depends on the school. If they already have high enrollment for K it's hard to get in early, lower enrollment there is more flexibility.
#5 of 5 Old 10-10-2008, 10:03 PM

It's different for every district.

In Milwaukee, students who turn 5 in September enroll in K4, then can get tested and promoted early in the school year.

My SD with a similar birthday, in Madison, got tested during the summer. She had to retest but was allowed in (which is a *good* thing--she's reading at a 3rd-grade level and would have been bored off her rocker with an extra year of preschool, and just starting K5 now).

ProtoLawyer (the now-actual lawyer, this isn't legal advice,  please don't take legal advice from some anonymous yahoo on the Internet)
Spouse (the political geek) * Stepdaughter (the artist) * and introducing...the Baby (um, he's a baby? He likes shiny things).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page