Backup Doctor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-10-2008, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone had luck recently finding a backup doctor for their planned homebirth in the Minneapolis/St Paul area?

Thanks!!

Stay at home wife and mom to three (soon to be 4!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 10-11-2008, 03:32 AM

She wasn't my backup doc per se, but Kara Pettigrew in Fridley (763-785-4500; Multicare Associates; 7675 Madison St NE Fridley, MN 55432) is a LLL leader and was my family's family practice doc until our insurance changed She seemed quite cool with the fact that my DD was born at home and I bet I could have used her as a backup if I needed one (I birthed with a CNM at home who had her own set up back up docs). She was also cool with my delayed vaxing.

HTH-- Christina

Wife, mother of 2
#3 of 4 Old 10-13-2008, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Christina

Do you know if Kara has much experience with childbirth, etc.? Also, from your knowledge does she seem like someone who would not want to do as much intervention such as fetal monitering and IV hookups and things like that? Thanks!

Also, if anyone else has suggestions, I would be happy to hear them since it is always good to have a few to compare. Thank you!

Stay at home wife and mom to three (soon to be 4!)
#4 of 4 Old 10-18-2008, 12:01 AM

Now that I'm thinking of it, I don't think she actually attends women in birth (I could be wrong).... When I was PG and seeing my HB midwife, I remember thinking that if I needed some sort of test that needed to be ordered by an MD so my insurance would cover it, she seems like the type that would've helped me out.

I never needed her to do so, though, because my MW was a CNM and she was able to order all the ultrasounds and blood tests on her own and in a way that my insurance covered it 100% (the good old days!).

So that's probably not "backup" in the way you mean. Sorry! Hope you find someone!

Christina

Wife, mother of 2

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page