What should we do for Halloween? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-18-2008, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm new at this holiday thing, so I really have no idea what people do. Last year was our first halloween and we went to MOA. It was alright, but really really crowded, and this will probably sound petty, but the candy they gave out was so yucky. Just tons of suckers and sweat tarts and stuff like that - barely any chocolate :. I heard that people don't really go door to door trick or treating anymore, is that true? Does anyone do that, and if so, what time of day do you go? Is there anywhere else we could go that isn't too crowded and would be fun for a three year old?
#2 of 9 Old 10-18-2008, 06:56 PM

I'm sure it depends on where you live, but in our eastside St. Paul neighborhood, lots and lots of kids go door to door. Our daughter is only 2 weeks old, so we won't be going around this year, but we always enjoy seeing the local kids all dressed up!
#3 of 9 Old 10-18-2008, 07:40 PM

Parenting Oasis and Attachment Parenting International Twin Cities are hosting a party on Saturday from 11-2 for little ones.

I would check out the neighborhood parks for Halloween. The parties can be really fun.

Of course we always trick-or-treat, in Minneapolis when they were little, now in Apple Valley.

Maureen
#4 of 9 Old 10-19-2008, 10:21 AM

We do go trick-or-treating here in S. Mpls., as do lots of other families. Little kids typically go early (dusk or earlier), and the later it gets, the older the kids get.

Other fun things I've heard of are at our nearest nature center (Woodlake) -- the one near you, whatever that is, may have one too. I think the MN Zoo and Children's Museum both have Halloween activities too.

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
#5 of 9 Old 10-19-2008, 10:12 PM

We always trick-or-treat door to door. And lots in our nieghborhood do as well. We've been to indoor things like the MOA one, and you are totally right that they give out the cheapest candy. We went to the Children's Museum one once and all the kids got were a couple cheap plastic spider rings and a few tootsie rolls. The most disappointing thing there though was that it wasn't anything different, just the same museum, but in costumes, and you had to pay extra for it.
#6 of 9 Old 10-20-2008, 07:18 AM

We love trick-or-treating, even though my dd can't eat any of the candy. We go out when it's close to dark. There's lots of other stuff to do as well. Here are a few I know about.

All creative kids stuff locations are having an event on the 25th. Search for their website for info.

The Wildlife Science Center is having a party on the 25th as well. http://www.wildlifesciencecenter.org/ This place is great.

Anoka has events all month.

Eidem Homestead is having Halloween 1900s style on the 30th. This even was a lot of fun last year. Animals. Music. No candy, but other good treats. http://www.brooklynpark.org/sitepages/pid1371.php

I'm not too aware of stuff happening on the 31st; like I said, we do the door to door thing. Have fun.
#7 of 9 Old 10-20-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSerene View Post
Eidem Homestead is having Halloween 1900s style on the 30th. This even was a lot of fun last year. Animals. Music. No candy, but other good treats. http://www.brooklynpark.org/sitepages/pid1371.php
That sounds cool, thanks! I never heard of it. Don't know if we would go this year, but maybe another year. I try to stay away from too much junk candy treats anyways.

Yes the MN Zoo has free (I think) Halloween goings-on. The next ones are next Sat-Sun and they also have a members only one on 31st. I was there on Sat. for a unrelated toddler class and it was PACKED. I'll post the link later when the site is up again.

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#8 of 9 Old 10-20-2008, 12:25 PM

Como Zoo and Conservatory has a "Zoo Boo" on a couple of dates between now and Halloween. It's $6 in advance (tix available online or at Metro Cub Foods Stores) or $7 at the door.

Neighborhood trick or treaters are still common. We do in our little neighborhood...but we'll be at the in-laws this year.

Minneapolis Park & Rec often has little Halloween parties at the local neighborhood park buildings, check their website.

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#9 of 9 Old 10-20-2008, 05:52 PM

Baby Ballroom dance studio is having a little one party on Friday from 10:30-12 in Saint Paul. It costs $15 but you get a free class coupon and her classes are wonderful.
Meghan's Baby Ballroom
(651)468-9763
www.babyballroom.com

Maureen

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page