ECFE Openings in St Paul/Homeroft South Highland Park Neighborhood - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2008, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
 
Yuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just wanted to post that there's a new ECFE site at the Homecroft School, in St Paul.

I have learned that there are openings in both the Tuesday and Thursday class.

It meets from 9:30 am to 11:30 am.

It's a birth to 5 years old class.

There's a small fee based on income. I think it's free if you have U Care. You can also opt for them to waive the fee if necessary.

They are looking for more families to join. It's something fun to do with your little ones. And a chance to get out to socialize! I was at the site and it looked really nice and clean.

http://www.ecfe.spps.org/home.html


1845 Sheridan Ave
St Paul, MN 55116

Call Patty at:
651-793-5424

The sooner the better, these spots fill fast!
Yuki is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-08-2008, 08:26 PM
 
jennica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm very disappointed that St. Paul's ECFE is always for birth to 5. In our old area it was age specific, which was much more comfortable and useful for us.
jennica is offline  
Old 11-11-2008, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter
 
Yuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's not always that way!

Actually Homecroft has made the Thursday class for babies and toddlers.

I personally don't mind the birth to 5.

Did you see this? It looks as if they offer different age brackets in St Paul. This is what's open now:
http://www.ecfe.spps.org/openings.html
Yuki is offline  
Old 11-11-2008, 03:34 PM
 
jennica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki View Post
It's not always that way!

Actually Homecroft has made the Thursday class for babies and toddlers.

I don't mind the birth to 5. Right now mine is the youngest there. But, that's ok, she's use to older siblings.

And that's another reason why I like this class. The baby to toddler class had parents with no older children. No one to relate with about my older kiddos!

Did you see this? It looks as if they offer different age brackets in St Paul. This is what's open now:
http://www.ecfe.spps.org/openings.html
I looked over the link. Ds is three, and there is no class for him to be in except birth to 5. They have a handful of classes for infants or younger toddlers, but once your kid is over two they have to be in a birth to 5 class. I really wish they had an over 3 class or something. I don't think Ds would like a birth to 5 class, and I know I wouldn't. It's just too bad, because I thought there would be more options in a bigger city, not less. Oh well, I think Ds will be going to pre-school two days a week soon, so that will make up for it.
jennica is offline  
Old 11-12-2008, 03:42 AM
 
dnr3301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I loved the birth-5 thing, since the only way I could do it was if I could have both of my kids with me at the same time.

our classes were always a good mix of ages, and we had a lot of sib pairs.

R~mama to 3

dnr3301 is offline  
Old 11-13-2008, 01:15 AM
 
junomama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennica View Post
I'm very disappointed that St. Paul's ECFE is always for birth to 5.
Just so people don't get a mistaken impression, St. Paul ECFE classes are not just birth to 5. The program at Randolph Heights Elementary is just for infants and early toddlers, with classes for specific age ranges; and we went one semester to a class at Monroe Elementary that was birth to 3, or something like that. There are narrower age groups here and there.
junomama is offline  
Old 11-13-2008, 01:19 AM
 
junomama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennica View Post
I really wish they had an over 3 class or something. I don't think Ds would like a birth to 5 class, and I know I wouldn't. It's just too bad, because I thought there would be more options in a bigger city, not less. Oh well, I think Ds will be going to pre-school two days a week soon, so that will make up for it.
Oops - I didn't see this later post about your DS's age. We take a birth to 5 class right now, and they split the play areas into two age groups — birth to 2 1/2 in one room and 2 1/2 and older in the other room (which has toys for older kids). So, even though all the parents go into one room for the parent education part, the kids aren't all together. Do you think your DS would like something like that?
junomama is offline  
Old 11-13-2008, 02:58 AM
 
jennica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by junomama View Post
Oops - I didn't see this later post about your DS's age. We take a birth to 5 class right now, and they split the play areas into two age groups — birth to 2 1/2 in one room and 2 1/2 and older in the other room (which has toys for older kids). So, even though all the parents go into one room for the parent education part, the kids aren't all together. Do you think your DS would like something like that?
Hmm, that sounds a little better. He's a bit anxious, so it might be kind of hard for him with kids splitting into different classes. I'm sure birth - 5 works out great for sibling groups, but for us it isn't that good. I really like in our old town how they had classes for each age. That way you would be in a small class of kids the same age and everyone was dealing with the same things. But, I shouldn't have just come on and posted something negative like that. I just realized I did that, and it was kind of mean. The OP was just trying to be helpful, and it is useful info. Sorry about that
jennica is offline  
Old 11-13-2008, 02:20 PM
 
junomama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennica View Post
Hmm, that sounds a little better. He's a bit anxious, so it might be kind of hard for him with kids splitting into different classes. I'm sure birth - 5 works out great for sibling groups, but for us it isn't that good. I really like in our old town how they had classes for each age. That way you would be in a small class of kids the same age and everyone was dealing with the same things.
I understand what you're saying. It would be nice if all the parents in the parent group were dealing with the same issues because they had similar age children. In our birth to 5 class, when something comes up that relates more to older children, I sometimes feel like I'm filing away discussions for future use! (On the other hand, maybe it's good to get that perspective early - sort of a heads-up about what's to come.)

My 2-year-old son is pretty sensitive, too, and it's actually better for him that they split the class because then there aren't as many kids, and the kids that are in his room are all pretty close to his age. (There are a couple of babies, including his little brother, but they tend to play apart from the toddlers.)

The separation part is what's toughest for DS about ECFE. He does not do well when both DH and I leave the room, so one of us always stays in there, and the other goes to the parent room. We try to stay back and let him play independently, but he likes to be able to look over at us and know we're there. Fortunately, the staff hasn't pressured us to separate before we're ready. There's another little boy who often cries for his parents when they leave (which breaks my heart), and they usually call one of the parents back in to stay with him.
junomama is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off