Need help---ideas in KC-Lawrence area? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-12-2009, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all,I have a 19 month old little boy with mild cerebral palsy. I am looking for some places we can take him so he can interact w/ other children & practice his standing/walking,climbing,etc. We spend a lot of the time at local parks in good weather,but need other alternitive ideas for bad weather. There isn't a community center or anything in our small town. We are about an hour south of KC,and 1/2 hr from Lawrence. Would appriciate any ideas,hopefully free or inexpensive as DH has been laid off for a month. I have asked his therapists,the health dept.,school district for ideas,w/ no luck.
Thanks so much for any ideas you may have!
Sheryl in Ottawa,KS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 02-13-2009, 10:05 AM

Here are a couple of suggestions--

Check with the Lawrence Arts Center. They offer parent-toddler music and movement classes that combine some singing and dancing with very casual tumbling. The Arts Center has in the past been fantastic about giving scholarships. My kids and all of my nieces and nephews have done this class (multiple times, actually) and LOVED it. It was especially wonderful to attend in the winter.

The Lawrence Parks and Recs offer "Special Populations" classes, where kids and adults with disabilities can get together in social and athletic situation. They also have some great classes for toddlers, and they are reasonably priced. During the cold weather months they have something called "Open gym" where they open up one of the gyms at an area rec center to toddlers and preschoolers and their parents. The kids can basically go run around and play with the equipment. I haven't gone to this in a long time (last time I went, my 5th grader was three!), I can't remember if it is free or not, but it seems like it was cheap or free as we were broke back then, and I think it happened on a regular basis. Maybe every week or so.
#3 of 4 Old 02-15-2009, 12:05 PM

Cheryl,

I am in Lawrence. Have you applied for Tiny-K? Your child should be accepted for free services with them.

My daughter has special needs as well. We just finished up with Tiny-K because she is 3 now. She just got her IEP and will get her Physical Therapy services with the Lawrence School District. She had her first session this past Tuesday.

http://www.tiny-k.org/

Franklin County Contact -

Quote:
Franklin County (FR)
Network: Lakemary Center Infant-Toddler Services
Liz Stone
Phone: (913) 294-4343
Fax: (913) 294-4485
E-mail: lstone@lakemaryctr.org

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#4 of 4 Old 02-15-2009, 12:08 PM

http://www.tiny-k.org/networks/lakemary.html

http://www.tiny-k.org/networks/ottawa.html

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page