Mothering Forum banner

Question on ob/midwife recc's in Littleton CO

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Tine 
#1 ·
Anyone know of any VBac friendly ob's or midwives in the general Littleton (suburb of Denver)...

I am 26 weeks pg and my previous OB who claimed to be suportive of a Vbac with further pushing and questioning does NOT seem to be as supportive as I would like. 2 of the 4 dr's at the practice will NOT do a vbac so If they are on call when I go into labor I'm SOL, plus when I mentioned not wanting constant monitoring and laboring as long as possible I got the "well with the risk of UR we don't like our vbac moms to labor at home at all", plus his solution to avoiding the 2 docs who don't do vbacs was to schedule an induction.... Anyway I left the appt feeling very negative about my chances with this practice for having a successful vbac.

SO I have an appt with anoter "supposedly" vbac friendly OB practice next week, and another reccomendation from a friend who has had two successful vbacs whose office I'm going to call tomorrow, but this forum has been such a help and SO much support I thought I might see if anyone had any reccomendations....

TIA
Erica

ps. my first c/s was due to a twin pregancy where Twin A was frank breech so even the previous ob's office seemed to think that I am a good candidate for a vbac.

Anyway thanks again

See less See more
#2 ·
Erica,

You might get more answers if you post this question in the Finding Your Tribe area. Use the subforum for Colorado. Also, hop onto www.ican-online.org and get info from them. You might be able to shortcut your search by calling the Denver chapter of ICAN.

I live up in Firestone, which is northeast of Boulder, east of Longmont. I've had a hard time finding a VBAC hospital and provider as well. Boulder is too far for you probably, but Boulder Community Foothills Hospital is one of the only hospitals in the north metro area that does VBACs. I'm seeing Boulder Nurse Midwives, who work under Boulder Women's Care OB group. It appears (according to the local ICAN chapter) that this is one of the only groups in this north metro area that do VBACs. (I'm 28 weeks now.)

Good luck! I know it's a pain going through all this with a big belly and twins, but doing all this work now will be so much worth it in the long run.

#3 ·
Drs. Zart and Stallworth at http://www.ridgegateobgyn.com/. They deliver at Sky Ridge. Don't know if that's too far away for you. I've had two vbacs with them and I'm hoping for another this summer. For full disclosure, I had vbac'ed my twins in another state before coming to them, so they weren't about to object (my section years ago was for breech). There is a third, new, young ob in the practice but I haven't delivered with her yet lol. They are very thorough. I have lots of random medical issues and they are very much on top of everything (I also see a peri for clotting stuff). I'm not sure what they'll say about continuous monitoring - I actually prefer having the monitoring since my labors are crazy intense which has a tendency to scare the dickens out of me, plus I can't move in labor anyway because by the time I'm at the hospital it's like one giant contraction, so the monitoring has never been an issue for me. Usual time to get to the hospital (no different recommendation than for a regular, non-vbac delivery) - I think they kinda like it when you're already 5-6 cm on arrival. They will not induce a vbac - no pit. The most they would do would be a membrane sweep or possibly breaking the water, but it would really depend on the situation and the patient.

With Dr. Zart you'll be sure to hear about situations of past patients rupturing, before you sign the consent. She is very respectful of no meds. My last delivery was med-free (not by my choice LOL but that's another story).

I have no idea what they'll say about whatever your preferences are, but I really love them. I have a long history starting way back with infertility, PTL, birth defects, clotting, etc., and I have a low tolerance for certain kinds of risk. I feel very safe with them. At the same time, I also feel like we're a team.

good luck!!

#7 ·
Welcome to our neck of the woods! Ann Walters is a WONDERFUL midwife- I didn't use her but have only heard excellent reports of her, I think she delivers at Swedish. You can look up Johnny Johnson (I think his wife is a midwife too) they have 8 children themselves and he also gets glowing reviews. Richard Porreco is apparently from the Denver area (he's mentioned in several books as very pro-vbac) but I don't know if it is the city of Denver or this general vicinity. Dr Monica Abarca has the BEST bedside manner ever though I really don't know what her stance is on vbac, I would be surprised to find she wasn't completely supportive. My heart skips a beat for you. I also had a c/s for twins due to a footling breech that set me up for rcs each time. I so hope you will find a great person to help you. I have a good friend who is an excellent doula if you want her number pm me. Good luck and I hope to hear your successful vbac story soon!

#8 ·
I will hands down never have a baby without Anne Walters. I had her for both my births, she is awesome!!! She let me have the births I wanted. I labored for 36 hrs the first time, 24 hrs the second and she was very reassuring that everything is fine, and let my body do it's thing. No talk of c-sections, constant monitoring, or drugs. She made sureeveryone respected my birth plan. Icould talk her up all day, I just REALLY love her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.