Let me Rave about CO. . .and a few questions too!!! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-28-2010, 01:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mlh: I can see how you can quit cold turkey... sometimes it seems to take up so much time. Today was awesome though... I totally loved being out.

tjs: All races sell out so fast. I guess I better sign up for Steamboat then. I think I'm going to do the three xterra tris here in CO too.

We went to Golden for a cyclocross race last fall. I think we are going to take a trip back this week. I saw some awesome mountain houses there for an affordable price. I was going to check out Littleton today too (there was a ten miler there), but it seems kinda crazy.

I am almost sold on Boulder Hills in the Gold Hill school district. I haven't found a teaching job here yet though so I am nervous that I might end up with a crazy commute. I am also not ruling out Ned. It seems that it would be a great place for the kiddos to ski, bike, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2010, 08:40 PM

All this talk of running...I just have to ask... Do any of you running mamas ever shop at Boulder Running Company? My sister and her DH own the new franchise in south Denver. They managed the Littleton store for many years before that.

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
Old 03-01-2010, 12:07 AM

Samantha, I'm sorry to hijack, but you mentioned Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park...

I live in Pennsylvania & am planning a trip to CO this summer. Does anyone have suggestions on cabins or condos around RMNP or Grand Lake? I need something that will sleep 6 or so. Thanks!

Best of luck on your move, Samantha!
Old 03-01-2010, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMidwife View Post

I live in Pennsylvania & am planning a trip to CO this summer. Does anyone have suggestions on cabins or condos around RMNP or Grand Lake? I need something that will sleep 6 or so. Thanks!

Um, no suggestions here (sorry) we camp---- like in tents, cold, expensvie lightweight tents. I'd rather sleep in a cabin anyday, but we frequent CO so much that when we drive (from MN) it's so cost effective to camp, plus hubby is such a die hard camper/backpacker, that he would never sleep in a cabin. Makes for real fun when you drive 18hrs in one day with two small needy children in a uper cramped, 91' Subaru, only to unpack and pitch a tent at 11 at night! Good times! Anyway, sorry no suggestions BUT when we are in the RMNP area I love going to Estes Park for coffee and shopping/sight seeing. It's really tourist-y, but it's fun for the kids ect. Maybe there is a cabin/condo there?

Anyway Ladies I think we've narrowed our search. . . Nederland area about 50miles from Denver (so a huge communite, hubby is thinking of an electric car) we've looked at land in Rollinsville? (I don't know if I'm spelling that right) and there is one other small town near by (can't think of the name) near NL and prices are decent (anywhere between 12k for an acre or 2, up to 50k for 15+acres) soooo it seems nice we'll check it out again though. We also are looking at breck area (def not in our price range but around the area is okay) and hmm let me think, there are a few other places as well we are looking at. Problem with buying land is the cost of getting plumbing, electric, and lines up to the properity, that's the expense, not the bulding part. So first we will probably rent in Evergreen area until we find that piece of land.

Tell me about Salida. . . . . .

Samantha:: love.gif {Waldorf Doll Maker} broc1.gif{Organic Farmer}knit.gif{crafter} computergeek2.gif {blogger}  and crunchy mama to 4 boys under 5! run.gif

Old 03-01-2010, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
How exciting! I used to live up in Summit County (Frisco) and my sister still lives up there. I have very dear friends who live in Alma and LOVE it. I would be happy to put you in touch with them if you want more details!
As for us....we are so excited that we have finally settled on moving to the small mountain town of Salida! Our house is on the market and we hope to be there in a couple of months!!!

Keep us up to date on how things are going!
We looked at Alma too, small town, charming ect. I think it's the hights elev. town too, but I think it's just too cold for us. Asa whole though I think CO is a lot warmer than MN anyday!

Samantha:: love.gif {Waldorf Doll Maker} broc1.gif{Organic Farmer}knit.gif{crafter} computergeek2.gif {blogger}  and crunchy mama to 4 boys under 5! run.gif

Old 03-02-2010, 04:37 PM
mlh

Alma is cold and high! In fact my friend just gave birth up there and had to take her baby to lower elevation for 6 weeks because he wasn't doing well at that elevation. I could never live there...but very cute town..

Salida on the other hand, now that his heaven! It is about 1 hour from Alma and it is warm there. It sits in a little valley surrounded by huge mountains and a ski area just 20 min from town that is very non commercial! You can have a garden and enjoy warm temps, there is a river that runs through town and it is a huge rafting community. There are many young famillies and it is very progressive as far as green living. Land is affordable, housing is affordable, it is far enough away from a large town that you can go if you need to, but that you don't get a lot of traffic. So, in my mind, it is perfect!
However, if your hubby is commuting to Denver, that is like a 3 hour drive. CO Springs is the closest larger town adn I think it is 1.5 hours or so.

Love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldorfknitmama View Post
We looked at Alma too, small town, charming ect. I think it's the hights elev. town too, but I think it's just too cold for us. Asa whole though I think CO is a lot warmer than MN anyday!

: Hip Mountain Mama Natural and unique products from a small family business:Blog
Mama to Magnolia and Sienna Raynebow
Old 03-02-2010, 04:41 PM
mlh

I commented on your other thread, but yeah, we always stay in Estes Park and we usually camp also...however, my in laws rent a cabin in Estes Park each summer and get everyone together to stay. They rent them through www.vrbo.com and always find great cabins. It take a bit of time to filter through, but you can really find some great homes for rent. I also mentioned the YMCA in Estes, which I have never stayed at, but is very popular. It fills up quick, so if you go this route you will have to book it now.

Ahhhh just thinking about camping this summer has me feeling happy!!

Quote:

: Hip Mountain Mama Natural and unique products from a small family business:Blog
Mama to Magnolia and Sienna Raynebow
Old 03-04-2010, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tine View Post
All this talk of running...I just have to ask... Do any of you running mamas ever shop at Boulder Running Company? My sister and her DH own the new franchise in south Denver. They managed the Littleton store for many years before that.
I stop in there from time to time. I'm not a huge shopper though.

mlh: You re definitely selling me on Salida. I have a bunch of applications out though so I am waiting to see if something comes through.

waldorfknitmama: We have looked in Ned too and we love it. That is a serious commute to Denver though. I wouldn't want to do it! The town further out would make it really hard. We looked in Gold Hill, but the drive is nuts.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi,
I've lived in Colorado all of my life ...

Since a few folks have asked, yes, there is massive radio-active waste and leak issues in the Denver-Boulder area. Specifically, the area is in Western-Arvada and extends into Eastern-Boulder with a large concentration in Superior and particularly the Rock Creek development. That said, there have been significant epidemological studies that show high-levels of childhood leukemia in both Golden and Arvada (in very specific neighborhoods). Because of the water tables, if I were considering Boulder, I would look North-West such as Lyons which is very lovely or maybe a little North such as Hygiene or East a tad to Niwot (beautiful Waldorf school there ... lots of attachment-parents, etc.).

Nederland and Ward are pretty but there is also some serious holed-up with rifles, shooting squirrels type of scenes. I am not exaggerating, and you can search the Denver Post and come up with many, many colorful news stories for both of these small towns. They're lovely for a hike but might be pretty scary especially when one is snowed in.

There are some lovely towns in Colorado that get press -- such as Trinidad which is very beautiful and has a nice atmosphere. Steamboat Springs is also wonderful, though is pricey like Boulder. In general, towns East of I-25 are much cheaper to live in as they are less desirable.

peace, teastaigh
Old 03-07-2010, 02:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Hi,

We love the YMCA camps -- there is one on the East side of RMNP in Estes Park:
http://www.ymcarockies.org/
or it's sister camp is on the West or the Grand Lake side of RMNP which is called Snow Mountain Ranch.
Both are wonderful family places with just the nicest staff and great activities. You can hike, easily, right into the National park from your cabin. They're also close enough to town for dinner out or getting groceries, etc.
I think the cabins are the best deal -- they come in many sizes and with or without fireplaces.

peace, teastaigh

User Tag List