Let me Rave about CO. . .and a few questions too!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-18-2009, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Aaaahhh let me say CO mamas I am soooo jealous of you all!!! We LOVE CO here in our family!!! Currently we are living in MN (we are totaly flatlanders for sure!!!) But my hubby is going to work for IKEA in Centenial when they open up sometime after 2012. SOOOOO we will be moving there:: Anyway we just got back from RMNP and we recently toured Evergreen!!!!! Oh man, we seriously want to live there in that town!!! Good? Bad? Crunchy?? We know its a bt pricey and would probably only rent for awhile. I just remember driving up the mountain side (I believe it was called Bear Canyon or something River or something) but it was these ulta mega mansions built into the rocks so so beautiful. It seemed like a nice town. Also I REALLY LOVE the town Nadervill or Nadertown (I'm not exactly sure what it's name was) but it seemed like waaayyyy mmega mountain hippies for sure!!! Is that a nice town? We also like the Cherrycreek and Cheeseman areas of Denver any good?? We won't be moving for a while but I want ideas and advice!!! Eventually we want to buy some land and built (peferbly in the mountains somewhere) con someone reccomened some rual areas that include mountains and are within 50ish miles of Centennial?

Sorry for the many questions, I just LOVE CO seriously, I'm kinda obsessed!!

TIA for all who reply :

Samantha:: love.gif {Waldorf Doll Maker} broc1.gif{Organic Farmer}knit.gif{crafter} computergeek2.gif {blogger}  and crunchy mama to 4 boys under 5! run.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2009, 04:52 PM

My husband and I are going to move to CO soon! I have been there a few times in the past year and we LOVE IT!!! iT'S ALL i THINK ABOUT. We live in Phx, AZ now and we just hate it here. It's not the place to live if you love nature and health! We still have not found 'the place' to live yet. We have been all through boulder and northern co. But it just did not feel like hime. We really want a small "mountain hippie town" lol! Few people, lots of wilderness...

Anyways... I have been looking into Evergreen too! I have not been there but the pics just blow my mind. I'm just scared it may be a little yuppie and snotty.

I'm really loving southern co, I just made a post if anyone could recommend some small little twons sround there.

Pueblo looks like a cool town too, but I'm scared of the radioactive contamination from the 1960's..

Tell me more about naderville/napertown???? That sounds cool. I googled the names but nothing came up...

Again..If anyone can recommend some small twons please do!

xoxoxox

Old 08-18-2009, 04:56 PM

Oh I found it..its naderland..

xoxoxox

Old 08-19-2009, 10:55 AM

Did ya'll mean Nederland? Its lovely, about 15 miles from me. I am in Erie and love all of the little towns up here North / West of Denver. Golden is incredible, and we like Broomfield, Louisville, Boulder, Longmont... but those are all a pretty good haul from Centennial ( about 45 minutes on a good day with no traffic)
Parker is really beautiful.. it is a bit father from the mountains, but rural -like and has a small town feel.
I have heard nice things about Genesee and Paradise Hills, too, but really don't know anything about them.
Bring that Ikea on!
Old 08-19-2009, 12:14 PM

Hi, Samantha

In case you're wondering why another MN mama is chiming in here...it's because my sister lives in CO, and I've spent a lot of time there. Serendipitously, I've been to both Evergreen and Nederland.

Evergreen is one of my favorite places in CO -- it's not far from my sis, who lives farther out in the mountains (near the tiny town of Pine). Not only is it beautiful, I also love the music and art scene there. And the winery, which makes DH's and my favorite chardonnay in the whole world. BUT...it does seem kinda buffed-and-fluffed, KWIM? It's so close to Denver that I think it's largely a bedroom community, and (although I haven't looked into this), I would bet that housing cost is accordingly outrageous.

I can't believe you mentioned Nederland. DH, DS, and I had quite the adventure when our car broke down there. (Total comedy of errors.) Yes, to me it does seem truly crunchy and far less yuppie than Evergreen. Also, how can you not like a town whose annual festival is called Frozen Dead Guy Days? http://www.nederlandchamber.org/events_fdgd-home.html

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
Old 08-19-2009, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome! Thanks so much for the info mamas!! And Hi Christine!!! What of MPLS do you live in? I live in Longfellow, wanna meet up? Were you apart of the mama meet up in the MN tribal area? Anyways yes CO, GREAT!!!

Again, thanks for the advice and keep it coming if anyone else has some opinions!

Samantha:: love.gif {Waldorf Doll Maker} broc1.gif{Organic Farmer}knit.gif{crafter} computergeek2.gif {blogger}  and crunchy mama to 4 boys under 5! run.gif

Old 08-19-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalmamaof1 View Post
Awesome! Thanks so much for the info mamas!! And Hi Christine!!! What of MPLS do you live in? I live in Longfellow, wanna meet up? Were you apart of the mama meet up in the MN tribal area? Anyways yes CO, GREAT!!!

Again, thanks for the advice and keep it coming if anyone else has some opinions!
I live in Hale neighborhood. Yes, I was part of that mama meetup thread. Color me lame; I could never make it to any of the suggested times. :

If I don't meet you here someday, maybe I'll see ya at the Frozen Dead Guy Days in 2012.

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
Old 08-20-2009, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tine View Post
I live in Hale neighborhood. Yes, I was part of that mama meetup thread. Color me lame; I could never make it to any of the suggested times. :

If I don't meet you here someday, maybe I'll see ya at the Frozen Dead Guy Days in 2012.

Sweet, let's meet up sometime. . . (I prefer CO though!

Old 08-21-2009, 02:02 AM

As soon as my house in Chicago sells we are off to Denver! I am so excited I can't stand it. We are considering Evergreen too. I've heard great things about it from locals. Anyway, thanks for letting me piggyback on your post!
Old 08-22-2009, 02:26 AM

I found this website very helpful because it lists the crime stats for neighborhoods, and lists all the common neighborhoods.

http://www.denvergov.org/2008CrimeSt...8/Default.aspx
Old 08-22-2009, 01:33 PM
mlh

Hi! I am a CO native and have visited and lived in many towns in Colorado! I am currently living in Loveland which is just north of Denver. I have visited Evergreen before and find it very charming, but not ideal for our needs...it just seems a bit richy for my taste. I am in love with Nederland and have thought about moving there, but the biggest downfall there is our cell phones don't work...and with the internet business cell phones are kind of important. We are planning on leaving Loveland within the next 2 years and are trying to find the perfect CO town for us, so have been researching a ton lately. Looks like you will have to find something close to Denver with your husband's job. I grew up in the Cherry Creek area and that was nice.
Good luck with your search and feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions for me!

: Hip Mountain Mama Natural and unique products from a small family business:Blog
Mama to Magnolia and Sienna Raynebow
Old 08-30-2009, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanx everyone for your advice!!!

Old 02-14-2010, 05:12 PM

Pueblo looks like a cool town too, but I'm scared of the radioactive contamination from the 1960's..

Chakra, I'm in Pueblo and I don't worry about the depot waste too much (maybe I should), but there are other places in Colorado--namely Boulder--with radioactive waste sites as well.

Pueblo is awesome because it's affordable! It is a smaller city, but still a city so it has most anything you could want. There's definitely a crunchy element here, but it's not the norm by any means. Beulah is a little mountain town outside of Pueblo and pretty darn crunchy.

I host a monthly homebirth/informed birth gathering here and am also a LLL Leader and work hard to keep LLL activities going.

We need more alternatively-minded folks here! It's a great--affordable (so more single-income friendly)--place to live!

Gina, Intern Midwife, IBCLC, and mom of 3 boys

Gina Gerboth, CPM, IBCLC, MOM
Pueblo, Colorado
Old 02-15-2010, 01:51 AM

Can you tell me about the radioactive sites? I don't know how to find out where they are. Where is the one in the Boulder area?

Thanks
Old 02-18-2010, 02:28 AM

I am in Boulder right now. We are renting, but have considered buying. We are going to look at some other areas too. Ned seems very cool and I like that it has skiiing, but it is really windy there and I am nervous about the mountain drive down. We don't know if we will stay here or head back to NY either... so we are kinda up in the air. We LOVE the mountains, biking, etc. We love to workout so Boulder is awesome for us. I want to see Colorado Springs too, but DH said he heard it is mostly military?

I would love to hear more about that radioactive site in Boulder.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Wow this thread is still active? Thanks guys!!! I'm so excited because IKEA may open up sooner than later!! So we might be moving a a year-ish instead of many! AND....

WE ARE GOING TO CO NEXT MONTH!!!! just for a visit but its sooooo exciting!!! My brother in law lives in Frisco ---- seriously AWESOME town--- small, hippie-ish, pretty pricey though, high elevation in the mountains, soooo nice, we are staying with him from March 12-22, so I'm stoked. We will continue to search for towns we like while there. We may check out Alma, and Fairplay, and others. Any advice for more towns to check out?? Ideally I'd love to live off grid is some SUPER SMALL town, way up in the mountains and become a hermit where can I do that?

Old 02-20-2010, 11:01 PM
mlh

How exciting! I used to live up in Summit County (Frisco) and my sister still lives up there. I have very dear friends who live in Alma and LOVE it. I would be happy to put you in touch with them if you want more details!
As for us....we are so excited that we have finally settled on moving to the small mountain town of Salida! Our house is on the market and we hope to be there in a couple of months!!!

Keep us up to date on how things are going!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldorfknitmama View Post
Wow this thread is still active? Thanks guys!!! I'm so excited because IKEA may open up sooner than later!! So we might be moving a a year-ish instead of many! AND....

WE ARE GOING TO CO NEXT MONTH!!!! just for a visit but its sooooo exciting!!! My brother in law lives in Frisco ---- seriously AWESOME town--- small, hippie-ish, pretty pricey though, high elevation in the mountains, soooo nice, we are staying with him from March 12-22, so I'm stoked. We will continue to search for towns we like while there. We may check out Alma, and Fairplay, and others. Any advice for more towns to check out?? Ideally I'd love to live off grid is some SUPER SMALL town, way up in the mountains and become a hermit where can I do that?

: Hip Mountain Mama Natural and unique products from a small family business:Blog
Old 02-22-2010, 06:19 PM

Oops, sorry...I didn't subscribe to replies I guess. Rocky Flats is near Boulder/Golden/Denver: http://www.rockyflatssc.org/. Similar concerns...

Gina

Pueblo, Colorado
Old 02-22-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
How exciting! I used to live up in Summit County (Frisco) and my sister still lives up there. I have very dear friends who live in Alma and LOVE it. I would be happy to put you in touch with them if you want more details!
As for us....we are so excited that we have finally settled on moving to the small mountain town of Salida! Our house is on the market and we hope to be there in a couple of months!!!

Keep us up to date on how things are going!
I *adore* Salida. Good choice!

Pueblo, Colorado
Old 02-24-2010, 01:15 PM

Oooh... I'm going to run the half marathon in Salida next month. I can't wait to go. What town are you in now Mountain Mama?

We are looking for somewhere that we can buy a house in the low $200ks on a little bit of property. We aren't liking Lafayette, Louisville, etc. We are considering Nederland, but I think we should branch out first.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:01 AM
mlh

Good for you! A half marathon is a huge commitment...way to go Mama!
I replied to your other post, but we are in Loveland. We are actually looking in your same price range...not sure we will even be able to buy since we show basically no income with the biz (so may have to rent for a while). We have some sweet realtors in Salida if you ever need a hook up there!
Shoot me an email if you want to chat about it more!
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarAndSun View Post
Oooh... I'm going to run the half marathon in Salida next month. I can't wait to go. What town are you in now Mountain Mama?

We are looking for somewhere that we can buy a house in the low $200ks on a little bit of property. We aren't liking Lafayette, Louisville, etc. We are considering Nederland, but I think we should branch out first.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Oooh... I'm going to run the half marathon in Salida next month. I can't wait to go.
There's a half in Salida? Is it a trail half? Do tell...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 02-25-2010, 06:44 PM
mlh

Here is some info on it http://www.salidarec.com/ccrc/Run-Th...e-Marathon.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
There's a half in Salida? Is it a trail half? Do tell...

Old 02-25-2010, 07:19 PM

Interesting, very very interesting...probably not this year, but maybe next year!

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 02-25-2010, 10:06 PM

TJs mama: You should go. I'm not "racing" it anyway... just running it. I am planning to do either the Steamboat marathon or Fort Collins. I was just thinking I'd do the Boulder 70.3 and it is one of the only sold out 70.3s this year! Oh well. What are you plans this summer?

mlh: We should def. share ideas. I really like Boulder, which is why I'm mostly considering the mountain above it. As I said though, I think we really need to give other places a chance though because we don't want to be just driving down to Boulder all the time.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:12 PM

Do you run mlh? We could all meet up there!
Old 02-25-2010, 11:42 PM

S&S...your non-race pace would totally kick my race pace's butt. I just picked up some work that day anyway, so it's a no go. I'm doing the Platte River half, probably Bolder Boulder, possibly the Slacker half (from Loveland ski area to Georgetown), the Boulder tri series (I signed up before the 70.3 sold out), and the Denver marathon. I might sign up for another tri or two, but I'm hoping to be starting school in June and don't want to book myself up too much. I did Harvest Moon last year, and really liked it (and it's MUCH cheaper than the IM 70.3).

Old 02-26-2010, 01:07 AM

TJs Mama: Your sweet to stroke my ego TJs, but I am much slower in Colorado than I was on Long Island. Hills and no oxygen! I heard that Platte is great. I am thinking of doing that too. You don't want to overbook!?! you sound pretty busy!

To all: What is the scoop on Golden. I was just looking at real estate there and it is pretty affordable. Schools, quality of life, etc.?
Old 02-26-2010, 04:59 AM

Platte is good...cheap, mostly downhill (except for that nasty little highway overpass at mile 12), and chip-timed this year! You mentioned Ft Collins...do you mean the Colorado Marathon? If so, it's sold out already (which is just crazy, I registered for it 3 weeks beforehand two years ago). And yeah, that race schedule is way down for me this year...I'm a raceaholic!

Back on topic, Golden is really nice, although I don't know a ton about it. Jeffco schools, in general, are pretty good. Tons of easy access to biking and hiking/running trails. I'd say it's on the crunchier side as far as metro Denver, although not as much so as Boulder, of course. I'd live there!

Old 02-27-2010, 02:01 PM
mlh

Funny, you should ask. I actually spent the past 2 years working out, running, and then 6 months ago, quit cold turkey. I am in the mind frame of getting back into shape, but haven't started yet...this warm weather is getting me motivated to get back out, so maybe next year I will be ready for the half in Salida!

Anyway, I don't know much about Golden. I have been there and think it is an adorable town and I have a friend who lives there and loves it. I don't know much about the schools. The location is wonderful though.

Quote:
Do you run mlh? We could all meet up there!

User Tag List