Omaha, NE: Methodist Midwives Feedback - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 08-24-2009, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is my 2nd baby and I really wish that it were easier to have a home birth in Nebraska but I'm looking at Methodist Midwives as an option. I'm very nervous about having a lot of interventions.

Do they have a birth center area of the hospital seperate from regular labor and delivery floor?

Are midwives pretty hands-off if requested? I want as little coaching as they can handle, pretty much I'd like to forget they are there as much as possible.

Are they supportive of hypnobabies methods?

Do they allow you to delay cutting of the cord for about a 1/2 hour if you want to?

Do they allow you to deliver the placenta in your own time (within reason) or do they "do it for you"?

Are they respectful of wishes against episiotomy even if you tear instead?

Do they have birthing chairs at all?

Why is it that you can give birth in the water in other states such as Iowa but have to get out to deliver in Nebraska?

Anybody have positive or negative experiences they could share? You can pm me too if you want too.

Thanks!

Proud Army wife to my best friend, mama to River (5/07) and Willow (2/10)
......... i love my life! ..........
#2 of 15 Old 08-25-2009, 04:21 PM

I birthed my youngest DD at Methodist, I did not use a midwife, but my OB is TOTALLY hands off though! He did delay cord clamping, let me deliver my placenta on my own, and I got to labor in water, but didn't deliver in water (it is a state law in Nebraska : ) and the nurses and staff were VERY VERY supportive of a natural birth. I was able to walk the entire time, my doc said it was fine not to have an IV (he is a private physician along with his wife who is an OB as well) and Methodist is VERY VERY breast feeding friendly. I did not have a doula or midwife, but I was VERY impressed with the hospital staff and my Ob prefers them to the other hospitals he is affiliated with. They also have a great lactation center and the lactation boutique is awesome too!

~ SAHM with two girls (3/9/06) and (7/1/07) and always remembering my angel (3/17/06)~
#3 of 15 Old 09-02-2009, 02:37 PM

I delivered 2 children at Methodist with the Midwives. I had an episiotomy with my first born after tearing on my own and have had problems related to it with my 2 subsequent births. I told my midwife that I wanted to tear naturally and I was told that if I continued to tear it would possibly tear into my urethra. SO, my episiotomy ended up tearing even more into a third degree and took a year to heal! My natural tear was much smaller! (And healed quickly with no pain). I will say, there is some difference between the 3 midwives so it can just depend on who you get but you don't get to choose! UNMC midwives have the reputation for being a bit more hands off and you can birth in the water "accidentally"! I ended up having a home birth with my third to get away from all the interventions and since I have VERY short (2 hours) labors. I am now a doula so I can help women get around all the hospital"protocols". Ladybug, who is your OB? I try to keep track of the birth friendly OBs, unfortunately there are far to few! Glad to hear you got what you wanted!
#4 of 15 Old 09-02-2009, 02:39 PM

Oh, you can have a water birth in Lincoln at St. Elizabeths if your OB will "let" you and you are low risk. A lot of mom's travel there, they also have birth stools and a lower c-section rate!
#5 of 15 Old 09-23-2009, 10:55 AM

I was on the fence between Methodist which is closer or the Midwives at UNMC... I had soooo many people tell me how great UNMC was I ended up choosing them. Have you looked into that hospital at all?

Good luck!

Sonja (37), Scott (40), Brandon born on St Patricks day 3/17/20102
#6 of 15 Old 09-24-2009, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feed back ladies! It has been very helpful! I did go ahead and have my first prenatal visit w/ a midwife at Methodist and I have an ultrasound scheduled but after that I'm not sure if I'm going to continue with them or not.I think I need to continue to rule out other options before saying for sure. I had a few appts with the midwives at UNMC early on in my last pregnancy and I'm not sure if it was personalities or what but something didn't quite jive with me there even though I know many other women who have birthed with them and loved them. I'm meeting with a cpm out of state to decided if a homebirth will work out for me (what I really want to do!) but if not I'm still keeping an open mind to Methodist, St. Elizabeth's and that OB referral of Ladybug's. Thanks so much ladies!

#7 of 15 Old 11-03-2009, 01:14 PM

I am also new to the Omaha area and am pregnant with baby #2. I have had 2 appointments with the midwives at Methodist, but haven't been overly thrilled with either visit. (i delivered my daughter with a midwife in Sioux Falls, SD, and it was such a great experience, I don't want to settle for less!!!)
Do you get to choose and stick with one midwife at UNMC? As a doula with birth expertise, do you have any recommendations as far as which one/s tend to get the best feedback?!

THanks so much!!
#8 of 15 Old 11-11-2009, 05:53 PM

I am also looking into prenatal care with maybe a midwife at methodist.

Aron Mama to 6 homeschoolers -- 12, 10, 8, 5, 3, baby

#9 of 15 Old 11-13-2009, 03:19 PM

Well, I live in Omaha and am pregnant with #4 and we are having a homebirth. I don't feel the process is really more difficult at all.

On the midwife question....I have heard, from my doula friends, much better things about the midwives at UNMC than at Methodist. I had my inital appts with the midwives at UNMC up until we had our anatomy U/S to clear the way for homebirth (our 3rd child had multiple birth defects) and the two I met were both very nice, easy to get along with and understood this being my 4th that I did not need to be "managed" the same way as every other expecting mom.

I would encourage you though to look further into homebirth. It is not "illegal" as people state and not a difficult process at all. PM if you have any questions.
jlconscious likes this.

Aria - 4 years, Miles - 2 years and Liviana - 1 year with a big surprise due in January 2010.
#10 of 15 Old 11-13-2009, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
babe&baba: I would encourage you though to look further into homebirth. It is not "illegal" as people state and not a difficult process at all.
I would definitly agree with this!! I really had to look to find the right people who knew about it but now I'm realizing there's are a great deal of support here. Everyone made it sound so scary and like you would have your babe taken away if you attempted it (even some women who I know had done it here) but once I found the right people to talk to (thanks to MDC) I know that none of that is true and the legality is not really an issue.

Quote:
khansendc: Do you get to choose and stick with one midwife at UNMC?
There are 5 at UNMC and you rotate between them. The two that I had met during my first pregnancy were great and I'm kind of bummed I didn't stick with them and instead switched to an OB. Live and learn There are 3 at Methodist and I've had 2 appointments with one of them who I think is great but just too medical minded for what I'm desiring (homebirth experience!) I'm so excited about the midwife I'm seeing now while planning our first homebirth!
jlconscious likes this.

#11 of 15 Old 10-22-2012, 08:57 PM

I know I PM'd a few of you but just backing myself up here- what do you do? Who do you talk to if you are interested in a HB ?

Military Mom to energy.gifDD that we homebirth.jpgcd.gifsaynovax.gif winner.jpgWifey to SAHH. Baby #2 July 1st!!! ecbaby2.gif

#12 of 15 Old 05-28-2013, 08:03 AM

I'm a little sad I didn't receive any answers but we are still "stuck" doing a hospital birth. And a HB with a professional IS illegal in this backwards state that is trying to keep up with Alabama.... :( I really hope they change their stance on HB sometime in the near future but it won't be soon enough for my birth that is coming up here VERY quickly. 

Military Mom to energy.gifDD that we homebirth.jpgcd.gifsaynovax.gif winner.jpgWifey to SAHH. Baby #2 July 1st!!! ecbaby2.gif

#13 of 15 Old 08-22-2013, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

While I am not in Nebraska anymore, I gave birth in Nebraska three times. I don't have any experience with a midwife but I would like to highly recommend the OB/GYN who helped me twice. She checked on me after my preemie was born (accidentally at home), and for the next two births after that in Methodist Hospital and Methodist Women's Hospital she let me give birth with no IV and no pain meds. It was wonderful!

http://www.mhsdoctors.com/physician-profile/?id=11112249

If I get pregnant with our fifth child and I could go back to NE just to give birth with her assistance, I would.

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#14 of 15 Old 04-09-2014, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Please, oh please tell me were/how I can get in touch with a home-birth midwife in Omaha.  I am determined, if I have to I will follow through with an unassisted birth at home as I am having a hard time finding a midwife underground.  Please if anyone has any information, e-mail me at weareeternal8@gmail.com
Thank You!! <3

#15 of 15 Old 06-20-2014, 10:04 PM

Midwife

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlconscious View Post
Please, oh please tell me were/how I can get in touch with a home-birth midwife in Omaha.  I am determined, if I have to I will follow through with an unassisted birth at home as I am having a hard time finding a midwife underground.  Please if anyone has any information, e-mail me at weareeternal8@gmail.com
Thank You!! <3
I hope this isn't too late. Kellie Northam is a CNM in council Bluffs, since it is Iowa it is legal for her. You will find her to be a licensed professional, who is safe and board certified. Please do not risk underground stuff. I left Methodist after 15 years in a large practice and now own Guiding Hands Midwifery. Lydia Rhodes CNM is my partner and came from UNMC after almost 10 years of practice. Our practice is unique to Omaha. Our patients see only one midwife throughout their pregnancy and that midwife is dedicated to be there for their own patient's birth. This one on one experience is more rewarding for the midwife and the family. For more information see our facebook page GuidingHandsMidwifery or www.guidinghandsmidwife.com for more information. Best to you! Jenda Stauffer CNM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page