UC-Denver "Center for Midwifery"...anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-22-2010, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH's insurance is only allowing use of a midwife that practices IN a hospital, which totally defeats the purpose of the midwife. We are willing to pay OOP, but one practice that the insurance WILL pay for is at UCD. I don't see any info on the forums, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has any experience or information about them. The short blurb on the UCD webpage sounds promising...but do they take the hospital protocols into procedure? Any info at all would be fantastic. Otherwise, we are heading to Mountain.

From their website:
"The Center for Midwifery is a private midwifery practice that offers comprehensive, boutique services to women for prenatal care, and gynecologic services to women of all ages. The inpatient and outpatient facilities are located at the Anschutz Medical Campus. Specialty services include waterbirths, prenatal massage packages, and acupuncture in conjunction with Integrative Medicine."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 02-22-2010, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi Valerie,
Not sure if you're talking about University of Colorado Hospital in Aurora (Fitzsimons campus)? http://www.uch.edu/conditions/pregna...ery/index.aspx
If so, I had my daughter there a year ago and was VERY VERY happy with the midwives at the Center for Midwifery and the care I received at the hospital.

The midwives (I worked with two different Jessicas, Ann and Nicole) are AMAZING. They are very supportive of natural childbirth and practice the midwifery model of care during prenatal care and during labor and birth. I felt completely supported and encouraged by them during my pregnancy and during birth. The hospital is new and clean and doesn't smell like a hospital. The labor and delivery rooms are HUGE and most have two bathrooms (one with a shower and one with a bathtub), lots of natural light, rocking chairs, birth balls, and plenty of room to MOVE! Although I went into the process thinking that the nurses would be my enemy...they were completely respectful of our birth plan and we so supportive of my LONG unmedicated labor. They never once mentioned pain medication or other alternatives to my plan. UCH is also one of (or the only) hospital in CO that allows waterbirths and has a birthing tub for that reason (other than the regular bathtub).

I highly recommend the Center for Midwifery and UCH. Message me if you'd like more info. Good luck Mama!

Rachel: cding, bfing, babywearing CO mama to my darling Sadie Caroline (2/18/09). Also..geologist, cook, mandolin picker, and wife to my banjo playing BP.
#3 of 6 Old 03-02-2010, 11:24 PM

I birthed at Mountain Midwifery over a year ago so something might have changed. I do believe when I was there I was told that a few of the midwives they previously has moved on to UC Midwifery at Fitzsimmons. Though if you want to try getting Mountain Midwifery to get you OK'd through your insurance they usually will try. They qualify everyone at the beginning of treatment. I loved my birth and care there but since my birth was so short at 4 hours and only 30 minutes labor while there can't give much info past the great prenatal care.
#4 of 6 Old 03-03-2010, 03:17 PM

I'm seriously considering using the UCH midwifery (esp. since I work on campus ) but I know that Rose Hospital has a new, in-hospital midwifery practice. So you might have some choices if you have to use an in-hospital practice.

Julie - Wife to Louis, Mamma to Ben (11/06) and 2
#5 of 6 Old 08-15-2014, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachandlily View Post
Hi Valerie,<br>
Not sure if you're talking about University of Colorado Hospital in Aurora (Fitzsimons campus)? <a href="http://www.uch.edu/conditions/pregnancy/midwifery/index.aspx" target="_blank">http://www.uch.edu/conditions/pregna...ery/index.aspx</a><br>
If so, I had my daughter there a year ago and was VERY VERY happy with the midwives at the Center for Midwifery and the care I received at the hospital.<br><br>
The midwives (I worked with two different Jessicas, Ann and Nicole) are AMAZING. They are very supportive of natural childbirth and practice the midwifery model of care during prenatal care and during labor and birth. I felt completely supported and encouraged by them during my pregnancy and during birth. The hospital is new and clean and doesn't smell like a hospital. The labor and delivery rooms are HUGE and most have two bathrooms (one with a shower and one with a bathtub), lots of natural light, rocking chairs, birth balls, and plenty of room to MOVE! Although I went into the process thinking that the nurses would be my enemy...they were completely respectful of our birth plan and we so supportive of my LONG unmedicated labor. They never once mentioned pain medication or other alternatives to my plan. UCH is also one of (or the only) hospital in CO that allows waterbirths and has a birthing tub for that reason (other than the regular bathtub).<br><br>
I highly recommend the Center for Midwifery and UCH. Message me if you'd like more info. Good luck Mama!
Hello!

I have recently moved back to Colorado and am currently going through the process of developing my birth plan out here. I live up in Summit County but I am really interested in UCH Center for Midwifery. I wanted to know if you could give me any information about which midwives you would recommend and/or avoid.

I have a large fibroma on my right ovary, so there is some concern about it twisting after I deliver. Also I am on heparin injections for a previous blood clot. I wanted to have a home birth but because of these risk factors, my fiancé is simply not comfortable with us being away from a medical setting. I don't want any fear present in my birthing space and I feel that if I were to have a home birth at this point, my fiancé would be bringing too much fear into the experience. So I am trying to find a place to deliver naturally, and hopefully in water, which is why I am interested in UCH Midwifery.

Any information you can give me about the staff and your experience there would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Sara
#6 of 6 Old 09-27-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srothleitner View Post
Hello!

I have recently moved back to Colorado and am currently going through the process of developing my birth plan out here. I live up in Summit County but I am really interested in UCH Center for Midwifery. I wanted to know if you could give me any information about which midwives you would recommend and/or avoid.

I have a large fibroma on my right ovary, so there is some concern about it twisting after I deliver. Also I am on heparin injections for a previous blood clot. I wanted to have a home birth but because of these risk factors, my fiancé is simply not comfortable with us being away from a medical setting. I don't want any fear present in my birthing space and I feel that if I were to have a home birth at this point, my fiancé would be bringing too much fear into the experience. So I am trying to find a place to deliver naturally, and hopefully in water, which is why I am interested in UCH Midwifery.

Any information you can give me about the staff and your experience there would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Sara
Hi Sara,

I recently delivered my first in August with the Center for Midwifery and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them. They were amazing during all of my prenatal check-ups and I had a wonderful delivery experience. I did not do a water delivery, but do know that they offer this at UCH/Center for Midwifery. The midwives never pressured me either way regarding pain medication or anything else regarding my birth plan. I had been open minded about whether or not I would want any pain medication, with the primary intent being natural, and my midwife (Leigh) who delivered my baby along with the delivery nurse were nothing short of supportive and incredible during the entire process.

There are a total of 5 midwives at the Center and you will meet all of them during your pregnancy, so you will know the person who is on call when you go into labor. I would absolutely recommend each of them.

Savannah

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page