Loveland/Fort Collins, COLORADO? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-24-2010, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We just found out that DH's job will be taking us to the Loveland area of CO in mid-end May. Tell me everything about it...Oh, and we're moving from Oregon.
-Is the area family-friendly?
-What activities are there for families?
-Are there areas good vs. bad and where?
-Good Midwives that take apprentices?
-Cost of food or good grocery store within 20 miles?
-Options for organic, buy meat from farms?
-AP friendly at all?
-Average temp. each season and snofall?
-What are the taxes like in Colorado?
-Birth network/homebirthing people?
-Elementary private, montessori, or possible public schools?
-Good naturopathic docs?
-Family pract. doc. that is non-vax friendly?

Anything else would be super helpful. Thanks.

Grace: Massage Therapist, YL Essential Oils Educator, and busy homeschooling mama to 4 babes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2010, 02:13 PM

I am confused by your title, as Ft. Carson is a couple of hours away from Loveland. Once I get clarification for which area you are inquiring about, I may be able to provide more info! Thanks....

: : Candace McCollett, CBE, CLD, student midwife : : : : :
Old 03-25-2010, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Ooops. I meant Ft. Collins, not Ft.Carson. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillysweets View Post
I am confused by your title, as Ft. Carson is a couple of hours away from Loveland. Once I get clarification for which area you are inquiring about, I may be able to provide more info! Thanks....

Grace: Massage Therapist, YL Essential Oils Educator, and busy homeschooling mama to 4 babes.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:16 PM

NUTS! I live in Colorado Springs so I was looking forward to giving you info about Ft. Carson. But I am sure there is someone else on here that can help you...

: : Candace McCollett, CBE, CLD, student midwife : : : : :
Old 03-25-2010, 03:25 PM

I don't know where you are moving from but you will LOVE it here. There is a wonderful local CSA, a whole foods store, and lots of farms and yes you can find farm-raised meat locally with no problem. Very AP friendly, lots of homebirthers and breastfeeders. There is also lots of schooling options even in the public system with alternative ways of teaching and learning. It's a big town with a small town feel so you can find everything you need. As far as temperatures, it really varies here on the front range. This week we have had 60 degree days but one day we got a foot of snow! It's kind of wierd due to being on the edge of the high plains but right next to the Rockies. Summers are beautiful though. It can get hot but it's very dry, almost no humidity which I like. Where are you moving from? I also see you are a Christian, lots of great churches in the area, My family and I attend Summitview Community Church.

Crunchy Christian Wife and Mommy to awesome DH and DD1 (4/25/07) and DD2 (8/13/10)
Old 03-25-2010, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, hehe. Thanks for helping though. It was you who made me realized I typed in the wrong city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillysweets View Post
NUTS! I live in Colorado Springs so I was looking forward to giving you info about Ft. Carson. But I am sure there is someone else on here that can help you...
Are you talking about Ft.Collins or Loveland? I read that Ft.Collins is only 10min. drive from Loveland, so maybe it's not that big of difference. We are moving from OREGON, so obviously it's quite a move. That is soooo awesome there are public schools with different types of learning styles. We had talked about homeschooling, but I don't think it's going to work out ESPECIALLY until I'm done apprenticing. I would need to find a Midwife at some point wanting to take on an apprentice and it doesn't look like that would be a problem since there are so many midwives. What do you mean by hot? What are the temperatures in the summer? We've lived all over OR and have experienced 80's-90's daily during the summer, 70's-80's in another area, and 100-110 in another area. Yes, we're Christian and would be looking for a home church once we arrived. We're very social people and love making friends of all kinds. What are the taxes like? I know you pay a low sales-tax where OR just has state taxes, but how much is property taxes and how much would you typically spend on grocery shopping just for sales tax?
Quote:
Originally Posted by COgirl19 View Post
I don't know where you are moving from but you will LOVE it here. There is a wonderful local CSA, a whole foods store, and lots of farms and yes you can find farm-raised meat locally with no problem. Very AP friendly, lots of homebirthers and breastfeeders. There is also lots of schooling options even in the public system with alternative ways of teaching and learning. It's a big town with a small town feel so you can find everything you need. As far as temperatures, it really varies here on the front range. This week we have had 60 degree days but one day we got a foot of snow! It's kind of wierd due to being on the edge of the high plains but right next to the Rockies. Summers are beautiful though. It can get hot but it's very dry, almost no humidity which I like. Where are you moving from? I also see you are a Christian, lots of great churches in the area, My family and I attend Summitview Community Church.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:04 AM

I will have to look into taxes (we don't own a home here) but state sales tax is 2.9%, city sales tax in Fort Collins and Loveland is 3% except groceries which are 2.25%. Larimer county sales tax is 0.8%.

Groceries are pretty reasonable compared to other places I have lived (east coast), how much we spend really varies but King Soopers has the best prices with limited organic selection though. Prices are definitely higher at Whole Foods but there is a wonderful CSA here and farmers markets to get local organic produce for less.

I am not sure abotu non-vax docs as we haven't crossed that road yet since we moved here but I know their are definitely holistic and herbal practicioners in the area. I will have to look into that though for both of us! I hope this is helpful and if you have any other questions I will try to answer them for you. Feel free to PM me!

Crunchy Christian Wife and Mommy to awesome DH and DD1 (4/25/07) and DD2 (8/13/10)
Old 03-31-2010, 12:42 AM

I work for one of those cities and live in the other. There is a signifigant diferrence (IMO) to the feel of each city and the sizes are quite differrent. Loveland is 62,000 and Fort Collins is over 100,000. Loveland has an awesome rec center that is expanding (and the library will be soon too) and renovating as we speak but Fort Collins has two ice rinks (and 2 pools and a small community center). Both cities have nice outdoor pools. Both cities are hiker and biker friendly. Fort Collins has a Whole Foods, Sprouts, Sunflower Market and Vitamin Cottage. Loveland has none. Fort Collins has a dieing mall, Loveland has a booming "marketplace". Both have locally owned stores, but Ft Collins has more. Ft. Collins has Old Town. Both have free concerts in the summer, Loveland has ice cream at theirs . Loveland has only one K-8 charter school and I think one high school has an IB program. Ft Collins has signifigantly more school choice options, starting in elementart schools. I know someone at almost every large church and a couple people at small ones - all are happy so you definitely will have options. I selectively vaxed my kids and while I got some pressure from my mainstream peds no one ever kicked me out of a practice. There are many alternative practitioners here. Weather - ahhh the great issue in the area. Last Tuesday we were in the midst of a blizzard that closed schools today it was 80F. Fort Collins has a huge brefest the last weekend in July and New West Fest in August (big stree fest), Loveland has Corn Roast estival. Any other questions - feel free to ask

And I counted 9 medical marijuana dispenceries on my way home from work today
Old 04-01-2010, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

lol. Thanks, you helped me out a lot. I just can't wait to find out when we're moving specifically so I can get on the ball of where to find a rental. We should know how long the job is soon. DH is blasting the pipeline by the dam east of Loveland to get off the toxic/lead and re-painting. I know that whole project is quite large, but I don't know how long DH's company has a contract with that specific job. Most jobs are 2-3yrs. but I don't know about this one. Anyhow, I'm very excited and can't wait. Thank you so much for everyone's help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34me View Post
I work for one of those cities and live in the other. There is a signifigant diferrence (IMO) to the feel of each city and the sizes are quite differrent. Loveland is 62,000 and Fort Collins is over 100,000. Loveland has an awesome rec center that is expanding (and the library will be soon too) and renovating as we speak but Fort Collins has two ice rinks (and 2 pools and a small community center). Both cities have nice outdoor pools. Both cities are hiker and biker friendly. Fort Collins has a Whole Foods, Sprouts, Sunflower Market and Vitamin Cottage. Loveland has none. Fort Collins has a dieing mall, Loveland has a booming "marketplace". Both have locally owned stores, but Ft Collins has more. Ft. Collins has Old Town. Both have free concerts in the summer, Loveland has ice cream at theirs . Loveland has only one K-8 charter school and I think one high school has an IB program. Ft Collins has signifigantly more school choice options, starting in elementart schools. I know someone at almost every large church and a couple people at small ones - all are happy so you definitely will have options. I selectively vaxed my kids and while I got some pressure from my mainstream peds no one ever kicked me out of a practice. There are many alternative practitioners here. Weather - ahhh the great issue in the area. Last Tuesday we were in the midst of a blizzard that closed schools today it was 80F. Fort Collins has a huge brefest the last weekend in July and New West Fest in August (big stree fest), Loveland has Corn Roast estival. Any other questions - feel free to ask

And I counted 9 medical marijuana dispenceries on my way home from work today

Old 04-01-2010, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

What do utilities run?

Old 04-11-2010, 11:04 AM

I, personally, would be more inclined to go with Fort Collins over Loveland for the reasons the pp listed -- it has healthfood stores, more school options, old town with things like the Food Co-op and a small independent theatre, etc. However, north Ft. Collins is more liberal and depending on your political leanings, you might fit in just fine in Lvld if you want more conservative.

Depending on what you are wanting in a school, you might or might not find it in Lvld. The charter someone else mentioned seems to be doing well, but it (like most of the Ft. Collins charters) is a pretty heavy on the homework, core knowledge type of school. If you want more alternative schooling options, Ft. Collins is a better bet. How old/what grade are your kids? You could try the Lab School in Ft. Collins for elementary if you want a more laid back approach (it is an alternative public school). There are some private Christian schools if it is in your budget. Immanuel Lutheran has a pretty good reputation (they are btwn FTC & Lvld), but again they are a higher pressure academic focus from what I've been told by people whose kids have attended there.

As far as your last questions on utitilies, it will totally depend on the size of your dwelling. Are you buying a house, renting...? We live in a house and our water bill runs about $50/month. Gas (heating) is btwn $25-100/month depending on the season, and electric is around $60/month again varying depending on the season.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:11 PM

What utilities run are really going to depend on the size of where you live and who your providers are. We have city water/ sewage and EXCEL gas and electric. Loveland has a couple water providers. In Fort Collins you find your own trash provider and in Loveland the City takes care of it.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:22 PM

-Is the area family-friendly?
I think so!

-What activities are there for families?

There are tons of parks, places to hike, we're only a hour long drive from Denver which has the zoo, meuseum of nature and science. There are places to check out dinosaur fossils, lots of events for children and adults.

-Are there areas good vs. bad and where?

Of course, that can be said anywhere! I lived in loveland for a few years 2000-2002 as a kid and it was beautiful but I was a bit of a hermit and in my teens.

-Good Midwives that take apprentices?

www.coloradomidwives.org

-Cost of food or good grocery store within 20 miles?

King Soopers, Safeway, Target, WholeFood, Vitamin Cottage are all pretty accesible and all have organic products. I can feed my family for $100-$150 a week depending on where we shop and what our meal plan is

-Options for organic, buy meat from farms?
-AP friendly at all?

I think so there is a local AP forum but it's more denver/boulder, there is also one for colorado springs, I haven't found one for Northern CO yet. So if anyone knows more share!!!

-Average temp. each season and snofall?

I don't have numbers but we average 300 days of sunshine When I lived in loveland I noticed because we were in the foothills we missed a lot of storms because the protection from the moutain.

-What are the taxes like in Colorado?

I've been told, and have experienced, that almost everyone ends up owing state tax when they do their taxes. We've lucked out and gotten $200-$300 back the last couple years

-Birth network/homebirthing people?

The CMA is another great resource for that.

-Elementary private, montessori, or possible public schools? not there yet
-Good naturopathic docs? see above
-Family pract. doc. that is non-vax friendly? still looking but in a different city, if you want a good pregnancy/post partum/baby chiro Amy Reeves at Abarr Lake Chiropractic is FANTASTIC!

If you get here soon the CMA is having a conference with Ina May, May 21st-22nd, it's $190 for 2 days if you pay by the 7th, and $210 after that. I think it would be a fabulous way to connect with the birthing community right away. I'm working on going!

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

Old 04-16-2010, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Mothers_Circle_Connect/

Here's an AP forum for N. Colorado. It's a yahoo group I found

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right of Passage View Post
[B]-
-AP friendly at all?

I think so there is a local AP forum but it's more denver/boulder, there is also one for colorado springs, I haven't found one for Northern CO yet. So if anyone knows more share!!!

Old 04-21-2010, 12:03 AM
mlh

I live in Loveland and love it! It is a great location, beautiful, and yes it is conservative, but there is a group of great young liberal families who live here doing our best to create a more young feel to the town. There is a Naturally Parenting Group, an AP Group, LLL, a few great shops down town...to answer your questions in regars to loveland
-Is the area family-friendly? Absolutly! Great library, rec center, tons of parks, hiking, gatherings
-What activities are there for families? see above
-Are there areas good vs. bad and where? not really any bad areas
-Good Midwives that take apprentices? I am sure there is!
-Cost of food or good grocery store within 20 miles? Our local grocery stores offer a great selection of organic foods, however we don't have a health food store (we are working on that and there will be one soon), there are several health food stores in fort collins which is 10 to 30 min depending on which side of town you are on. We do have a great little shop that sells local meat, eggs, raw dairy products, and other local items. WE also have a farmer's market and several CSA's to choose from
-Options for organic, buy meat from farms? tons, see above
-AP friendly at all? Super!
-Average temp. each season and snofall? summer can get hot, winter is cold, but pretty mild..spring and autumn are perfect. the sun shines a lot!!
-What are the taxes like in Colorado? not sure
-Birth network/homebirthing people? tons
-Elementary private, montessori, or possible public schools? We have a new nature and science school on the west side of town http://www.bigthompsonelementary.org/ a montesosori option, one charter school and another one in the works
-Good naturopathic docs? Sage Holistic Health http://www.sageholistichealth.com/ wonderful wonderful wonderful!
-Family pract. doc. that is non-vax friendly? I am sure there is..we see the naturopath as mentioned above, so I am not sure first hand, but have heard there are non vax friendly docs in the area.

Anything else would be super helpful. Thanks.
Speaking of naturpaths and vax we just had dr plummer of sage holistic health speak with our naturally parenting group this morning on vax...was so great to get some info from a naturopath and not have to actually make an appointment! Feel free to email me if you have other questions [email protected]

by the way..are you looking to buy or rent...just wondering because we are trying to sell our house.

: Hip Mountain Mama Natural and unique products from a small family business:Blog
Mama to Magnolia and Sienna Raynebow
Old 03-18-2014, 01:33 PM

I know this thread is a few years old so I'm not sure if any of you are still around, but I'm hoping so! I searched the area in the mothering search bar as I will soon be moving to the area from across the country. All the info I have read has been very helpful, but I'm looking for a holistic pediatrician or at least a doctor that will be ok with no vaxs. If anyone has any recommendations I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

Old 03-20-2014, 11:11 PM

Hi! You'll love it here! As for pediatricians, we go to Pediatric Associates of Northern Colorado (we've seen both doctors and their nurse practitioner) and while they were obligated to give us pamphlets from the CDC and a couple of their suggestions, they have been respectful of our not-the-norm vaccination decisions. Hope this helps. Welcome to Colorado!
Old 05-30-2014, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've been in Northern Colorado for 25 years now -- and I think it's very family friendly. Both Loveland and Fort Collins have their charms, and I've lived in both. Fort Collins now has 140,000 people and is growing incredibly. Infrastructure is showing stress, and it's not uncommon to sit 2-3 times through a traffic light. There are many opportunities for children.

Loveland has, IMO, better and cheaper public facilities for recreation and music. It's more mellow, an arts community, and is overall, sleepier. It is more affordable.

There are thriving homeschooling and attachment communities in both with plenty of lovely moms and children. Both towns have beautiful parks, trails, and open spaces.

My groceries come from a CSA and are delivered to the front door, including all of my fish, poultry, canned and packaged goods, condiments, and wine. So, I can't comment on grocery stores, but there are many. There are also dozens of CSAs. We work at mine -- helping in the gardens -- to get a reduced rate and to appreciate what we eat a bit more.

Happy journeys!
peace,
teastaigh

User Tag List