Wanting a home birth (not pregnant yet) - Topeka area - midwife or doula - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-13-2010, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there,

This is a little premature, some might say, but I am wondering of the option to have a home birth. I am interested in finding a midwife or doula who would be comfortable performing a home birth at least a year away from now where the mother to be is a diagnosed epileptic (who gets warnings).

Currently, I am on medication which gives me 100% control but I would seek to come off the medication or reduce it as much as possible to reduce risk to the baby. Total withdrawal would be preferable.

I understand that some would consider this under the classification of complicated pregnancy, and some would seek to deny me the right to have a natural birth. I've seen the horror stories about hospital birthing situations and I would rather the hospital an absolute last resort for transfer if necessary. Otherwise, my husband and I would prefer the home birth route.

I had ovarian cancer in 2005 and have been cleared of it. I required no chemo and as far as my gyne-oncologist was concerned, I could still reproduce. I have never had a child and up until earlier this year, I did not want one. Which is why it seems even more important to me to have as little interference as possible (as far as traditional forceps, inducement, vacuum and drugs).

I am aware of a birthing center in Topeka, but other than that, there seems to be little info. If there is a midwife or doula comfortable enough to discuss it, please reply or PM me. I am not originally from the US, so I was not raised in a lawsuit society. I am from New Zealand and only seek the best for mother-to-be (me - not pregnant yet though) and baby.

Meeting my daughter somewhere between 21st - 27th November 2011

#2 of 4 Old 07-20-2010, 06:18 PM

You could try talking to some of the moms in the topeka api and la leche groups.

Mother to Sandrel(oct 2003) and Liesl(mar 2006) and someone new coming February 2013

#3 of 4 Old 07-29-2010, 10:26 AM

Fran Beier, Brenda Frankenfeld, and Suzanne Ryan are all homebirth midwives in the Lawrence-KC-Topeka area.
#4 of 4 Old 08-03-2010, 02:46 PM

I'm in the KC area and am using Fran Beier and we love her! She's based out of Lawrence and is a wonderful midwife!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page