Just moved to Denver/need help finding midwife/dr - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-13-2010, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello! I am 19 weeks and just relocated to Denver. I am wanting a home birth but since I am on Medicaid probably can't afford one. I need help finding a midwife or dr or clinic that has midwives and takes Medicaid. I am very unfamiliar with the Denver area. I live by DU. Any help is appreciated. Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2010, 02:06 AM

Welcome to CO! I loved Colorado Nurse/Midwives associated with Denver/Evergreen Ob-Gyn. Their births are in a hospital but I think they take Medicaid. Both of my births were at Presbyterian-St. Lukes. They have an office in Evergreen (too far for you) and one in the Cherry Creek area---I don't make it to Denver too often so I'm not sure how far from DU this is. I don't have the number close by but if you google Denver/Evergreen you should be able to find--or let me know if you are interested and I will get the number for you.

Chris
Old 08-15-2010, 01:35 AM

I'm having my prenatal care done at the Mountain Midwifery Center in Denver. For Medicaid, they are covered as providers, but you have to pay the facility fee. It's as close as you'll get to a homebirth though out of the home.

http://www.mountainmidwifery.com/Services
Old 08-15-2010, 05:33 PM

the facility fee at Mountain Midwifery is substantial (i think $900 or more? this was 2 years ago) and if you're going to pay that much you should just barter with a midwife/make payments/negotiate your fee and have the birth you want.
we bartered with our HB midwife and i think we ended up paying $2600 over the course of my pregnancy and used medicaid as backup in case of emergency. it completely strapped us at the time to pay that much but it was so worth it in the long run. the sting of the money will fade eventually, the memory of your LO's birth will be with you forever!!!!!

also, your midwife can bill medicaid for any testing etc. you choose to do.

just my opinion but the Mtn. Midwifery midwives are nice but when I interviewed them, they readily admitted that they are under the exact same rules as if you were in a hospital (obviously) and were pretty blunt about not wanting to bend any rules. boulder nurse midwives is the closest you're going to get to a "homebirth in the hospital." they still answer to the hospital but at least they are versed in some alternative practices and they will stay with you throughout your birth.

if a homebirth is what you really want, call the midwives in the area and explain your situation, some of them are open to negotiation if you are truly committed to having your baby at home

good luck to you, i couldn't read your post and not write because i was asking the same question before the birth of DD2!

http://www.coloradomidwives.org/ for homebirth resources

http://www.boulderbirth.com/ -boulder nurse midwives operating out of boulder community hospital
Old 08-15-2010, 05:38 PM

I also used the Colorado Nurse/Midwives associated with Denver/Evergreen Ob-Gyn, and was happy with them (different people working with them at that point, but I imagine their practice is still comparably good). Another option is the (smaller) midwife group at University hospital. They take medicaid, and I happen to know one of the MW's very, very well. Totally depends on where you want to have your baby; it sounds like the birth center might be the best option, since you were wanting a homebirth. Mountain Midwifery has a great reputation.

OASN, that is too bad HB's aren't covered by medicaid in CO. They are here in NM.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
I also used the Colorado Nurse/Midwives associated with Denver/Evergreen Ob-Gyn, and was happy with them (different people working with them at that point, but I imagine their practice is still comparably good). Another option is the (smaller) midwife group at University hospital. They take medicaid, and I happen to know one of the MW's very, very well. Totally depends on where you want to have your baby; it sounds like the birth center might be the best option, since you were wanting a homebirth. Mountain Midwifery has a great reputation.

OASN, that is too bad HB's aren't covered by medicaid in CO. They are here in NM.
they are covered by chp+ but not medicaid, isn't that crazy? a friend of mine used Elizabeth ? from University and LOVED her. i spoke with her over the phone and felt the same way. She'd be close to home for the op.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:49 PM

We loved Mountain Midwifery Center. With insurance, we ended up paying about 3K$ for everything (pre-natal, education, birth class, facility) and they took super-good care of us.
Congratulations!

Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart - Confucius
Old 01-07-2011, 04:03 PM

The midwife program at Denver Health is excellant.  They actually have the lowest c-section rate for all Denver area hospitals and one of the lowest episiotomy rates.  A friend of mine gave birth there in Sept. and loved the experience.  Her doula recommended them when it became apparent that she had to have a hospital birth.

novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.gifwaterbirth.jpghomebirth.jpg

User Tag List