More questions: Ft. Collins public, neighborhood schools - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-14-2010, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I've been reading reviews of public and public charter schools on greatschools.org, and my head is swimming! Reviews can be so mixed! It seems like the "best" charters are hard to get into. Do any families on mdc just have their kids enrolled in their neighborhood school? Opinions, experiences? I am letting myself stress over this. I'm looking at test scores, reviews, etc, and really, I just want my kids to be happy and not stressed out over too much homework or pressure, although I of course want them to get a good education. They love their current charter school in AZ, and school is the most stressful factor when it comes to making a decision about moving!

I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences with Ft. Collins regular old neighborhood public schools. We are leaning towards N. Ft. Collins, btw, if that makes a difference, since we hear that it's the more liberal part of town.

TIA!

Heather, Mama to DS(10) DD(7.5),DD(6)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2010, 01:33 AM

North Fort Collins is where the university is, so is slightly more liberal but also young with lots of rental property available. Usually, prospect is the dividing line. NoPo is uni land, SoPo more soccer mom/old navy, if that makes sense. We actually live in Loveland, which is the next community south and is a jazz and arts Mecca. We like it quite a bit, but also couldn't afford NoPo Fort Collins, which is very fun but pricy for small homes.

Good luck with the hunt and hope to see you in CO one of these days.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
Old 10-15-2010, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarlady View Post
North Fort Collins is where the university is, so is slightly more liberal but also young with lots of rental property available. Usually, prospect is the dividing line. NoPo is uni land, SoPo more soccer mom/old navy, if that makes sense. We actually live in Loveland, which is the next community south and is a jazz and arts Mecca. We like it quite a bit, but also couldn't afford NoPo Fort Collins, which is very fun but pricy for small homes.

Thanks!

Heather, Mama to DS(10) DD(7.5),DD(6)
Old 10-22-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarlady View Post

So does that make me the "soccer mom/old navy"? Ha ha.

We would like to live closer to downtown, but col is much higher and so we're on the south side. Also closer to dh's school where he teaches. Ds started kindy at dh's school. We chose it not so much because of the school but because dh teaches there. It is a good school though.

The Poudre school disctrict has a school of choice program though. So you do have more options not just the neighborhood school of where you live, although some of the schools are more popular/alternative curriculum etc and have waiting lists to get in. Also if you choose a school out of your neighborhood, you are responsible for transportation obviously.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:26 PM

Hi Ft. Collins mamas,

I posted in the general Colorado tribal area but haven't gotten any replies, so I wanted to ask you all how you like Fort Collins. My husband and I have decided to move to the general Denverish area, and have looked at Ft. Collins, Boulder, and Pueblo. It seems like FC has a lot of great things to offer, but I'd love to hear from an insider!

TIA,

Amy

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .

User Tag List