planning family reunion in CO - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-07-2010, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I realize this is a bit broad but....I'm just getting started so I would appreciate any opinions. We have people coming mostly from CA and WI/MN, we would like to meet somewhere in CO since there will most likely be some families driving from both directions. We have a wide range of families who want class and families who want affordibility. We would need a pool as a gathering place so we can all just hang out and do nothing! I will plan a few adventures/hiking hopefully as well.

I think that it would be really cool to stay at some non commercialized area...maybe family owned little resort with different levels of cabins and maybe even some camping on site.

Anyways....please throw some ideas at me. Thanks
#2 of 4 Old 11-08-2010, 08:32 PM

Which side of the Rockies do you want to be on? There is a really nice KOA campground with a pool near Dinosaur national park in western Colorado (almost Utah). It is a great area for mountain biking and road biking, and cool hiking in the national park, but hot in high summer.

Steamboat Springs is a nice area on the western slope. There is a river you can tube on, hot springs, and a variety of lodging from campgrounds up to fancy resorts. A fun town too with nice resturaunts and hiking in the mountains.

Estes Park is also a great family town. It is the Eastern slope doorway to Rocky Mountian National Park, so there is everything from camping to the Stanley Hotel. There is a public pool, and I'm sure some hotels have pools although we've always camped there.

Of course, if you have people flying in you might want to stay near Denver, which is the only major airport in the state. In that case I would recommend Chatfield state park, which has a great swim beach, boating, camping, and fishing but is close to Denver and all the attractions found there.

Hope this helps and happy planning.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#3 of 4 Old 06-08-2011, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

We are staying at Timber Creek Chalets in Estes Park....any ideas for day use areas or cool spots we shouldn't miss.....short hikes?

Thank you for your input!!

#4 of 4 Old 06-10-2011, 04:18 PM

You will want to go into the national park for sure and do some hiking. I like Gem Lake, Fern Lake, and Sky Pond the most, but I am a lake person. smile.gif

Honestly the whole area is great, and I think you will really enjoy your visit. We love Estes!

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page