Moving to CO, Denver - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-22-2011, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Moms,

Can I just tell you some things we love and you tell me where we should live?

We don't vax. Holistic minded. Vegetarians. We are Young, love cities, but also safety. 

We used to live in Portland, but too much rain.

Really love older homes with big windows, front porches, and lots of detail.

Husband is a coffee/espresso lover & we really like live music. Not too big on actual outdoor sports, but love being in parks, near water, etc. 

Might homeschool, but would love the option of public. Would like to deliver next baby at hospital with a midwife. 

Thanks for reading and helping. Best wishes.

Learning to be a one income family. Learning to be a mama. Living with lots of heartbeat.gif

#2 of 5 Old 05-24-2011, 11:53 AM

As far as Denver neighborhoods, I think you would like the Highlands.  It is a neighborhood northwest of downtown Denver.  Great community with beautiful older homes, shops, restaurants, coffee shops.  Jefferson County Open school is a good option for alternative public schooling.

novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.gifwaterbirth.jpghomebirth.jpg
#3 of 5 Old 05-24-2011, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the response. I will look into Highlands. What is your overall thoughts on family raising in Denver? Do you enjoy living there? My friend is a resident of Boulder & she says that many people she has encountered have showed a distaste for Californian transplants. Shoot, I hope not!

Learning to be a one income family. Learning to be a mama. Living with lots of heartbeat.gif

#4 of 5 Old 06-06-2011, 12:22 PM

You might also check out Washington (Wash) Park. If I had to be totally honest some Coloradoans have a distaste for Californians because there was such a huge influx in the 90's. However, I think that is more along the lines of complaining about drivers and whatnot. Most of my good friends are transplants and I don't think there is any true dislike. It's a great place to live and raise a family. Good luck.

Proud Mommy to my amazing boys (6 and 4) and my precious little girl (18 months).

#5 of 5 Old 06-12-2011, 03:24 PM

Sounds like you'd be a good fit for Congress Park neighborhood, lots of coffee shops, right near a bunch of good hospitals (though there are also plenty of homebirth midwives in Denver), Teller Elementary is one of the best in the city, lots of parent and neighborhood participation. Also you'd be near a ton of parks. It's the sort of neighborhood where kids can leave their bikes in the front yard, and a lot of the homes are Craftsmans. We homeschool and there is a fairly big homeschooling community around in Denver.

As for the Californian thing, it's more in the abstract rather than actual individuals. Colorado is filled with transplants.

We also have a very active AP community in the region. PM me if you'd like more information about that.

Mama, writer, partner, wanderer. Living life with my ds (7/06), married to my best friend and nemesis .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page