Grand Junction? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-14-2011, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi mamas,

We may be moving to Grand Junction this coming summer, and I hear wonderful things about Colorado in general, but I was wondering if some of the mamas here could help me out.... we have 4-year-old twin boys with another on the way (due in March!).  So I'm wondering things like:

-are there any good moms' groups?

-how is the local food scene/ farmers' markets?

-are there fun things to do with kids?

-how are the schooling options?  (including homeschool groups, since we haven't quite decided yet...)

-are people friendly there?  (we're moving from Maine, where the people are very nice but, well...... quite standoffish.)

-how is the birth community?  (I'm a doula and HypnoBirthing instructor)

Thanks in advance!  And if you are there and want to get together if/when we get there in June, give a shout out!

-Liz

Mama to twins.gif O and J, born 9/14/07 and babyboy.gif E, born 3/9/12!  

Doula, birth advocate, lactation counselor and lifelong educator (of one kind or another). 

#2 of 7 Old 02-26-2012, 02:30 PM

Hi Liz!

I too will be moving to GJ this Spring and have also been wondering about moms/kids groups and some of the same of your other questions.  I spent some time in GJ before I had children and know that there is an EXCELLENT farmer's market downtown GJ in the summer, every Thursday late afternoon till 8pm (I believe).  The downtown library also has a lot to offer for children including a reading hour 2-3 times a week. I have found local Grand Junction residents to be extremely warm and friendly--perhaps its the farming background--but nevertheless everyone I've ever come in contact with has treated me as an extension of family.  It's an interesting town with lots to do if you love the outdoors.   I've been looking to form a mom's group if I can't find one to join once we get settled.  Contact me when you are in town and perhaps we can exchange a little more info by then.  We move down in April.

--Heidi

#3 of 7 Old 02-27-2012, 07:46 PM

If the fates smile upon us we also may be moving to the Junction area this summer. If nothing else the three of us can form our own moms group. smile.gif

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#4 of 7 Old 05-11-2012, 06:38 PM

Did any of you end up moving to GJ?  We just moved here and I would love to meet some like minded mothers.

#5 of 7 Old 05-11-2012, 06:39 PM

Did any of you ever end up moving to GJ?  We recently moved there and I would love to meet some like minded mothers

#6 of 7 Old 05-11-2012, 08:21 PM

We actually ended up choosing Hotchkiss, which is about an hour out of Junction. We will me moving in June. Keep us posted if you find any great mom groups, as I will need to find a new support network out there for myself.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#7 of 7 Old 06-02-2012, 04:37 PM

Hey! I am not on MDC so often anymore, but found a great group of mamas on here that has grown into pretty big and awesome group of parents and kids. I will post the next time all of us get together. Welcome to Junction!

Amri- mama to Indica 12.08.06 and Kytan 04.04.10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page