Information on Colorado Springs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-03-2012, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I spent alot of time in Vail, Colorado during the 80's/90's, I know that Colorado has changed alot since then. I have a bunch of questions!

We are military family moving to Fort Carson this summer. Living on post is not my cup of tea. We are looking for an area of town that is family-friendly, clean, crunchy friendly with public schools or MOntessori. The ability to bike or ride friendly would be awonderful bonus?

We are looking for information on holstic, delayed vaccination, alt. medcine friendly peditrician and/or family physician.

Any ideas on local diary farms offering raw milk and eggs? What are the best farmer's market or farms, are there any U-Pick

And when do farmer's marker or local Veggie CSA runs?

Any good places to get pasture raised pork, chicken or beef?

And are there any enviromental outdoor or horse-riding summer camps for kids? And is there offering for t-ball, soccer or football for the under 4 crowd?

And are there any midwives in the local area that do well women visits.... Ideas for family natural path or chiropractors?

Fun things to do in Colorado Springs/Denver/Pubelo area for kinds? Is the Lakeside Fun House still open? Casa Bonita in Denver? The best hiking for kids or nature areas..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust12 View Post

I spent alot of time in Vail, Colorado during the 80's/90's, I know that Colorado has changed alot since then. I have a bunch of questions!

We are military family moving to Fort Carson this summer. Living on post is not my cup of tea. We are looking for an area of town that is family-friendly, clean, crunchy friendly with public schools or MOntessori. The ability to bike or ride friendly would be awonderful bonus?

Old Colorado City and Manitou Springs are probably the crunchiest parts of town and most bike-friendly. There is a public Montessori elementary at Buena Vista Elementary in OCC. They are not the cheapest parts of town to live in, though. The area north of Platte Ave and west of Union is nice and less expensive.

We are looking for information on holstic, delayed vaccination, alt. medcine friendly peditrician and/or family physician.

Dublin Primary Care has a bunch of pediatricians who are friendly to delayed/selective vaxing. Dr. Dawson is our favorite. I have had trouble finding docs who are truly holistic and also able to serve as primary care providers, though.

Any ideas on local diary farms offering raw milk and eggs? What are the best farmer's market or farms, are there any U-Pick

Best farmer's market is the Colorado Farm and Art Market. The biggest local farm that offers raw milk and eggs is Larga Vista Ranch. We get our goat milk and eggs from Lil Bit Farms. There is at least one U-pick apple orchard in Penrose (south and a bit west) but I've never been to it. Last summer the local urban gardens organization ran a U-pick veggie garden in town, but I'm not sure if they're planning to do it again this year or not.

And when do farmer's marker or local Veggie CSA runs?

Usually something like June through October.

Any good places to get pasture raised pork, chicken or beef?

There are lots of sources for pastured pork and beef--Larga Vista Ranch, Venetucci Farm, Heritage Belle Farms, and Lasater Grasslands Beef come to mind right away, but I know there are plenty more too. Chicken is a little harder to find, but Heritage Belle did meat birds last year.

And are there any enviromental outdoor or horse-riding summer camps for kids? And is there offering for t-ball, soccer or football for the under 4 crowd?

I don't know about camps, since my DD isn't old enough yet. I know there is soccer for under-4s because we have a friend who does it.

And are there any midwives in the local area that do well women visits.... Ideas for family natural path or chiropractors?

I go to Robyn at Colorado Springs Obstetrics and Gynecology for my well woman care. She is a CNM.

Fun things to do in Colorado Springs/Denver/Pubelo area for kinds? Is the Lakeside Fun House still open? Casa Bonita in Denver? The best hiking for kids or nature areas..

There are roughly a million awesome places for hiking here. lol One of the best things about living here, truly. Other fun things...there is an insect museum that's fun to go to, a good zoo, an ice rink that has open skating hours...and plenty of other stuff I can't think of right now.

I also want to put in a plug for our Natural Parenting meetup group. It's very active and has lots of great families, including plenty of military folks. We do all kinds of events, including playdates, mom's night out, potlucks, holiday craft parties, etc.

Living the good life and walking a path of peace with DH and DD (4/09)
Old 02-12-2012, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Welcome to the area!

We are down in the city of Fountain.  Its a newer area with cheaper housing and right outside gate 20 of Ft. Carson.  Fountain schools are mixed with Ft. Carson, so there is a large military presence in our town.  The Widefield/Security are is just north of Fountain and also right outside the gates.  Colorado is a 'school of choice' state, which means that you can live wherever you want and send you kids to whichever schools you choose.  All schools take the neighborhood kids first, and then some have a wait list for out-of-district kids.  My kids attend school in District 12(southwest side of Colorado Springs, near the Broadmoor). 

We like Venetucci Farms for produce.  http://www.ppcf.org/page.asp?id=113&name=Venetucci%20Farm&link_id=109

bodhittree- The apple orchard in Penrose is called the Happy Apple Farm.  They also have seasonal berries and pumpkins.  We really like it.  :)  http://happyapplefarm.com/

We've been through quite a few health care providers, and haven't found anyone we love yet, so I can't really give any good recommendations there....

For fun, my kids do all kinds of activities throught the Widefield Community Center.  http://www.cc.wsd3.org/  They have football, soccer, dance, and one of the only public pools in the area.   My kids also do gymnastics at Kinetic gymnastics.

We like to hike at Quail lake, Helen Hunt Falls, and near the Fountain nature center.  http://www.hellocoloradosprings.com/parks/quaillakepark/quaillake.htm

http://www.springsgov.com/Page.aspx?NavID=2444  http://adm.elpasoco.com/Parks/Pages/FountainCreekNatureCenter.aspx

" rel="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/familybed2.gif">familybed2.gif  DD1 12/05, DD2 12/08

Computer Engineer- I write better in 1's and 0's. ;-)

User Tag List