Moving to Fort Collins. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-18-2012, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are moving to Fort Collins this summer and I was wondering if there were any other crunchy mamas in the area.  I am concerned that we are moving to an area where we will not find any other like-minded people.  Let me know if you are in Fort Collins or the surrounding area.  Looking forward to finding things to do this summer.  Oh, and if you have any suggestions on great places to go camping in Northern Colorado, please let me know!

#2 of 6 Old 03-20-2012, 08:32 PM

Don't worry! I live in the Fort Collins area and there are LOTS of crunchy mamas here. We have an active LLL group, a wonderful Natural Parenting playgroup, and a several wonderful organic CSAs for all your food needs. there's a great kid boutique downtown, a cloth diaper service, and many great parks with play structures. The library system is good, and schools are high quality. Fort Collins is just as crunchy as Boulder but without the pretensions.

As for camping, I adore Rocky Mountian National Park. Of course, it helps to have a parks pass, but it is a large and wonderfully senic park with all sorts of great campgrounds for both car and backcountry camping.

We are actually moving away this summer, and I will be sad to leave. Fort Collins is a great place for the natural minded mama. I'm sure you will love it. Let me know if you might want to purchase our CSA share from Grant Family Farms. I'm listing it for sale since we will be leaving before I can collect any shares.

If you have any further questions, let me know. I'd be happy to help.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#3 of 6 Old 03-22-2012, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your response!  What a relief!  Can you explain how the CSA's work?  Here you just pay a monthly fee and have a box delivered to your house once a week or twice a month.  How does it work there?  Thank you again for responding, I wish you were still going to be in the area! :)

#4 of 6 Old 03-22-2012, 10:14 PM

My kiddos are all teens but we have raised them here.  We almost had to move and we were really sad.  There are really great schools and homeschool groups, you can really do either, a large network of bike trails and most main streets have bike lanes.  There's a wonderful arty movie theater downtown, a small Theater for live performances as well as the University.  Rec Centers with ice rinks and pools.  A new science center should be opening on the North end of town...a whole Foods, Vitamin Cottage,a Sprouts and a Food Co-Op.  Here's a list of the CSAs and a bunch of local food  www.nocofoodincubator.com .  Let's see there are 4 local yarn stores, oooo - if you like beer there's the brewfest unually the last weekend in June www.downtownfortcollins.com ....  I've lived here for just over yikes - 22 years!

#5 of 6 Old 03-29-2012, 08:12 PM

Most of the CSA's here do a one time fee then you get a share each week for the season, which is around 26 weeks for most. Ours is one of the pricier ones because they have such a big variety and the shares are generous. But there are lots of choices from a variety of growers to fit any budget. Most of ours you have to either pick up at the farm or at a nearby central location. Some do home delivery bit it costs extra.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#6 of 6 Old 03-29-2012, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

grantfarms.com is probably one of the biggest csa in the area. i think they have multiple pick up points in town. i haven't used them though so not sure on specifics.

we live 25 miles east but do pretty much all of our shopping and stuff there.

camping is everywhere. rmnp has a few campgrounds but there are also a lot all along the poudre up hwy. 14. very close to wy. too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page