Topeka, KS (or Lawrence) birthing options? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-04-2012, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm planning to travel to the Topeka/Lawrence area to have my third child.  I'm wondering what natural birth options are available.  I'm not interested in a home birth, but I would like to have a water birth.  Are there any hospitals doing water birth?  Also, I've noticed that the Topeka Birth and Women's Center website hasn't been working for some time now, are they still open?  Can anyone recommend a good midwife?

#2 of 9 Old 04-17-2012, 11:10 AM

The Birth and Women's Center is still open and is still wonderful;  I don't know why they don't update their website.

Three Lawrence based homebirth midwives whom I would wholeheartedly recommend:  Fran Beier, Brenda Frankenfeld, and Emily Hester.  Fran and Brenda are both direct entry midwives, Emily is a CNM who used to work at the Birth Center in Topeka, but now has her own homebirth practice.  All three of these women are very skilled and experienced midwives.

#3 of 9 Old 04-17-2012, 11:11 AM

Sorry, I missed where you said you weren't interested in a home birth.

Then I would highly recommend the Birth Center.  I don't think they do not do underwater birth, but they are fine with you laboring in the tub.

#4 of 9 Old 04-18-2012, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your replies.  

#5 of 9 Old 06-10-2012, 09:21 AM

I would just like to add that I had a homebirth in Lawrence that resulted in a hospital transfer to LMH and I was very, very happy with the care I received there.  All of my wishes were respected and the staff was very understanding and supportive.  Although I had a c-section which was very much unplanned, all of the aftercare was perfect.  I had lactation consultants coming in round the clock to help me position my baby and the only time he was taken out of my room was once in the middle of the first night when I was out cold.  A nurse came in and found he had soaked through his diaper and clothes and took him to change him for me.  I LOVED the staff there!  Afterwards I kept coming to LMH every Monday morning for 6 months to a fabulous breastfeeding support group that helped me tremendously.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that if the birth center doesn't work out, there is a great hospital option.  My OB no longer works there but I've heard amazing things about Dr. Durland, a woman.  I live in the same neighborhood as Emily Hester and know her and her family.  You could always do a midwife assisted at the hospital, but for waterbirth NOT at home I think you'd have to go to Topeka.

#6 of 9 Old 06-27-2012, 02:17 PM

The Topeka Birth and Women's center is awesome! they really are incredible.  When I was expecting I asked about water births. They don't pretty much because the hospitals there in Topeka don't do it. That was three years ago. Policy might have changed since then.  however I spent most of my time laboring in the tub right there in the room just steps from the bed.  It was such a blessing to labor and deliver there.  I can't say enough good about it, and Norla Todd, the midwife is fantastic.  It was just just my husband, myself and Norla when we delivered Christmas day.  They also do other women's health stuff there, paps and stuff.   And the center is located just blocks from two major hospitals, which should lend peace of mind.  I hope you find a place to do your water birth.  Since delivering my daughter there, if I have another I want to do it at home, and not fuss with traveling to deliver, I just don't think it is necessary

#7 of 9 Old 06-27-2012, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

When I called the Topeka birthing center, they said they couldn't take me as a patient so late in pregnancy.  so, after talking to some women in Topeka, I think I'm going to go to St. Francis.  I won't be in Topeka until early August, so I won't know for sure until I meet a midwife there and see the hospital.  If I'm not comfortable with the hospitals in Topeka, I will definitely go to Lawrence.  I have a couple of friends there who had great birthing experiences there. 

Thanks again everyone for the replies.  :)

#8 of 9 Old 07-02-2012, 12:20 PM

How far along in your pregnancy are you? I transferred care to the B&WC late in my pregnancy and didn't have my first appointment with them until I was 31 weeks.

#9 of 9 Old 07-02-2012, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

I will try calling them again.  I will be 31 weeks when I arrive to Topeka.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page