Can anyone recommend a good holistic/arts centered elementary school in Denver/Boulder, Colorado? - Mothering Forums
Kansas, Colorado, Nebraska > Can anyone recommend a good holistic/arts centered elementary school in Denver/Boulder, Colorado?
wildmarigold's Avatar wildmarigold 02:31 PM 05-14-2012

We  moved to Denver last December and my 5 year old son started a public school in Denver. To say i am not happy would be an understatement. The school is definitely not suited for his personality. He is outgoing, very social, so friendships are not an issue.

It is located in Stapleton which seems to be lacking diversity and character.

He seems to have inclination for art, sports, music, has a great imagination  and not very academic. He struggles with reading and writing. The teachers are trying to push him hard and I feel the decision to put him into the Kindergarten was a big mistake on our part. Now they are saying that retaining him one more year at Kindergarten is a good option for him.

Does anyone know any good holistic school in Denver/Boulder preferably public or charter?

You can write to me in person or here.

thanks

Mirzam's Avatar Mirzam 01:43 PM 05-16-2012

I can only help with Boulder which is likely too far to travel from Stapleton. The schools that likely fit what you are looking for are BCSIS (Boulder Community School of Integrated Studies), an integrated arts/waldorf inspired school, or Horizons, K-8 Charter School. You can get to  their websites via Boulder Valley School District website (bvsd.org).

aaahmyeye's Avatar aaahmyeye 04:06 PM 08-01-2012

Hey, not sure if this is what you're looking for or not, but The Studio School in Adams 12 district is more focused on an art integrated curriculum.  It's a public school, I've subbed there a few times.  Good luck...

DrBrockBaca's Avatar DrBrockBaca 05:02 PM 08-08-2012

I have heard good things about Mountain Phoenix, a Waldorf-inspired charter school in Jefferson County. It may be a little far from Stapleton, but it is a charter school and not a private school.

http://www.jeffcopublicschools.org/schools/profiles/?school_id=235

*EarthMama*'s Avatar *EarthMama* 09:59 PM 10-14-2012

Our son who just turned 5 goes to preschool at Mountain Phoenix and we absolutely LOVE the school!  It is a waldorf-inspired charter school in Wheat Ridge.  The preschool and kindergarten are play based and focus on imagination, art, nature, and community.  I bet your son would love it!  I think there may still be a few openings this year and if not there is the choice enrollment that is available for next year that occurs in January!  I hope you find exactly the right program for him!  Definitely check out MPCS. We couldn't be happier there.

honeybee80's Avatar honeybee80 10:46 AM 10-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by *EarthMama* View Post

Our son who just turned 5 goes to preschool at Mountain Phoenix and we absolutely LOVE the school!  It is a waldorf-inspired charter school in Wheat Ridge.  The preschool and kindergarten are play based and focus on imagination, art, nature, and community.  I bet your son would love it!  I think there may still be a few openings this year and if not there is the choice enrollment that is available for next year that occurs in January!  I hope you find exactly the right program for him!  Definitely check out MPCS. We couldn't be happier there.

I've heard great things about this school (actually a friend of mine has a daughter who went to the location in Coal Creek Canyon and is in 9th grade now at a public school in Boulder) and I need a new setting for my kids (they are currently in a great DPS school, but the social stuff is ridiculous and my DD is having a really hard time).  I just sent an email asking about openings for 2nd and 3rd grade.  I would be SO stoked to have my kids at this school (although their dad most likely will NOT be, but I have full decision making, so he doesn't really get a say ;)). 

cynthiamoon's Avatar cynthiamoon 12:57 PM 12-11-2012

I don't know it well, but there's a Montessori school in West Wash Park that seems to be warm and artsy. I drive by it all the time. It may be worth a look-see? Also, you could consider hiring a tutor to meet some of those extra needs if his school doesn't have the programs. I am planning on starting a tutoring service in a month or two focusing on interdisciplinary, creative education methods, so this IS a shameless ploy to see if there's a market for it ;).

Otherwise, I hope you find the right school! Most of the ones I work with as a student teacher are success stories from rough areas, like Clayton Partnership, North Middle School, and Steadman Elementary. I think it's important work to revitalize tough schools, but I can also understand the frustration of parents I've met there who wish their peers were more involved, and their teachers more progressive.

I read an amazing essay once though, about the impact that power-broker parents can have on their community if they have the time to create good schools rather than simply find good schools. I know it's a big big challenge to accept less than the best in the hopes of improving mediocrity in a tough system... but a teacher can dream, can't she? If you are interersted I can send you a PDF. It blew my mind philosophically. 

Up