Can anyone recommend a good holistic/arts centered elementary school in Denver/Boulder, Colorado? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-14-2012, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We  moved to Denver last December and my 5 year old son started a public school in Denver. To say i am not happy would be an understatement. The school is definitely not suited for his personality. He is outgoing, very social, so friendships are not an issue.

It is located in Stapleton which seems to be lacking diversity and character.

He seems to have inclination for art, sports, music, has a great imagination  and not very academic. He struggles with reading and writing. The teachers are trying to push him hard and I feel the decision to put him into the Kindergarten was a big mistake on our part. Now they are saying that retaining him one more year at Kindergarten is a good option for him.

Does anyone know any good holistic school in Denver/Boulder preferably public or charter?

You can write to me in person or here.

thanks

#2 of 7 Old 05-16-2012, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)

I can only help with Boulder which is likely too far to travel from Stapleton. The schools that likely fit what you are looking for are BCSIS (Boulder Community School of Integrated Studies), an integrated arts/waldorf inspired school, or Horizons, K-8 Charter School. You can get to  their websites via Boulder Valley School District website (bvsd.org).

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#3 of 7 Old 08-01-2012, 03:06 PM

Hey, not sure if this is what you're looking for or not, but The Studio School in Adams 12 district is more focused on an art integrated curriculum.  It's a public school, I've subbed there a few times.  Good luck...

#4 of 7 Old 08-08-2012, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have heard good things about Mountain Phoenix, a Waldorf-inspired charter school in Jefferson County. It may be a little far from Stapleton, but it is a charter school and not a private school.

http://www.jeffcopublicschools.org/schools/profiles/?school_id=235

#5 of 7 Old 10-14-2012, 08:59 PM

Our son who just turned 5 goes to preschool at Mountain Phoenix and we absolutely LOVE the school!  It is a waldorf-inspired charter school in Wheat Ridge.  The preschool and kindergarten are play based and focus on imagination, art, nature, and community.  I bet your son would love it!  I think there may still be a few openings this year and if not there is the choice enrollment that is available for next year that occurs in January!  I hope you find exactly the right program for him!  Definitely check out MPCS. We couldn't be happier there.

Free-birthing, un-schooling (Waldorf style), extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering Earth Mama to Kayleb, ( 10/07) and Anaya ( 5/10)! Joyfully married to my beloved I hug trees and plant seeds.
#6 of 7 Old 10-27-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *EarthMama* View Post

Our son who just turned 5 goes to preschool at Mountain Phoenix and we absolutely LOVE the school!  It is a waldorf-inspired charter school in Wheat Ridge.  The preschool and kindergarten are play based and focus on imagination, art, nature, and community.  I bet your son would love it!  I think there may still be a few openings this year and if not there is the choice enrollment that is available for next year that occurs in January!  I hope you find exactly the right program for him!  Definitely check out MPCS. We couldn't be happier there.

I've heard great things about this school (actually a friend of mine has a daughter who went to the location in Coal Creek Canyon and is in 9th grade now at a public school in Boulder) and I need a new setting for my kids (they are currently in a great DPS school, but the social stuff is ridiculous and my DD is having a really hard time).  I just sent an email asking about openings for 2nd and 3rd grade.  I would be SO stoked to have my kids at this school (although their dad most likely will NOT be, but I have full decision making, so he doesn't really get a say ;)). 

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

#7 of 7 Old 12-11-2012, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't know it well, but there's a Montessori school in West Wash Park that seems to be warm and artsy. I drive by it all the time. It may be worth a look-see? Also, you could consider hiring a tutor to meet some of those extra needs if his school doesn't have the programs. I am planning on starting a tutoring service in a month or two focusing on interdisciplinary, creative education methods, so this IS a shameless ploy to see if there's a market for it ;).

Otherwise, I hope you find the right school! Most of the ones I work with as a student teacher are success stories from rough areas, like Clayton Partnership, North Middle School, and Steadman Elementary. I think it's important work to revitalize tough schools, but I can also understand the frustration of parents I've met there who wish their peers were more involved, and their teachers more progressive.

I read an amazing essay once though, about the impact that power-broker parents can have on their community if they have the time to create good schools rather than simply find good schools. I know it's a big big challenge to accept less than the best in the hopes of improving mediocrity in a tough system... but a teacher can dream, can't she? If you are interersted I can send you a PDF. It blew my mind philosophically. 

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page