KS or MO?? Natural birth and homeschooling easier in Kansas or Missouri? Need to move somewhere ASAP - Please help! - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: KS or MO more 'crunchy' for homebirth, attachment parenting and homeschooling?
Kansas 2 100.00%
Missouri 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-10-2012, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there,

I am currently looking around western Missouri and eastern Kansas for somewhere to move immediately with cheap rent that is safe as well.  However, I am pregnant and plan to homeschool and am trying to decide whether Kansas or Missouri is more 'crunchy' for homebirths (lay midwives or CPM or even UC) and homeschooling.  Is it fairly easy to have a natural birth and find non-vax or delayed vax-friendly docs in eastern KS?  Are they open to attachment parenting there?

Any Kansas mamas believe Kansas is better for us?

I need to find a place for us to live NOW and am overwhelmed on which is the better choice - I do NOT want to end up with another horrible hospital birth experience like I did in my previous state and I don't want to worry about defending my legal right constantly to homeschool.  I am a single mama and feel VERY vulnerable right now, in case it is not obvioushelp.gif.  I will be working from home but right now money is VERY tight so even affordable small towns within 20-40 minutes driving distance to 'civilization' but still safe would be great!

Thank you!!dizzy.gif

#2 of 6 Old 09-15-2012, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I'm bumping your post up. Anyone have recommendations about these areas to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 6 Old 09-15-2012, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much!  biggrinbounce.gif  I appreciate any help from the mamas here, we gotta move F A S T!!  LOL

#4 of 6 Old 09-15-2012, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Forgot to mention we are looking for:

1.  Cheap (hopefully no more than $525 per month, our last 2BR apt. was only $440 in our previous state but the COL is cheaper there somewhat too)  I am very open to a little modest house or duplex or fourplex or a one-bedroom apartment (although I was trying to avoid apartments due to noise).

2.  Safe (for a single mommy with soon-to-be 2 kids where we won't feel afraid or get shot!)

3.  Hopefully with a washer and dryer or connections or very close access since I will be cloth diapering esp. in the winter!

4.  Close to homeschool and homebirth support groups within driving distance

5.  Within driving distance to shopping like Walmart, Target, health food stores, etc.

Any ideas??

Thank you!!  smile.gif

#5 of 6 Old 09-15-2012, 12:38 PM

I grew up in western KS, and spent time in eastern KS (Lawrence) both with and without kiddos. As far as homeschooling, it is soo easy. You do have to register your homeschool with the state, but I did it right online and there was no problem at all. This was back in 2010 so I suppose. Things could have changed by now.

As far as birth, idk. I know there is a birth center in Topeka, and supposedly there are midwives who are pretty crunchy in Lawrence....I was out of the birth game by the time we lived there so I am not too sure. Peds: Dr. Marcello.o in Lawrence was awesome! We don't vax and he didn't blink at all. Very supportive of natural/attached parenting, and of mama's instinct.

Lawrejces probably the crunchiest town in KS, but.it.is a college town so rent can be.pricey. IIRC, I paid $750/mo for a not-quite3 br (2 br up, one "br"/extra room down) townhouse w/garage and w/d hookups. There were cheaper places, and if you think you could stand it spacewise, you might consider a 1 br. Or maybe house-share, not sure.if that would work for you or not....

I believe there are nidwives in Wichita as well, but it's scarier than Lawrence by a lot (to m)e.

HTH! Good luck!
#6 of 6 Old 09-23-2012, 06:56 PM

Not sure I can answer your question, but I felt compelled to reply.  We just moved to Pittsburg KS (Southeast KS) exactly two weeks ago because of grad school and how cheap it is to live here.  We have a large 2 bedroom house with a 2+ car garage and a giant yard.  Our rent is $550 per month and I feel very safe. 

I grew up in rural Missouri and it was hell on a crunchy family.  But I don't see Kansas as being much better. 

We just moved here from the Detroit Metro area and we had a fabulous AP/Crunchy community there, but I missed my rural roots. 

Good luck!

Partner to Nico (2/2003), mama to R (ds) 10/2008 and S (dd) 1/2011.

SAHM searching for balance between conventional and crunchy, past and present, the spiritual and the existential. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page