Looking for Midwife (Homebirth) in NW Kansas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-09-2012, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey, new here. Desperatly seeking advice/help on finding a midwife near me. I'm centrally located between Colby and Hays, and honestly have no idea where to start. I have searched for days, and without asking friends and blabbing my new pregnancy, I turned here to you lovely ladies! :)

I have had 2 normal births, with an obgyn, and would like to stay clear of anything in a hospital this time.

Anyone know of someone wonderful that would travel to me? I seem to have found someone near Bird City (over 100 miles one way) and oppositite direction in Larned (130+miles one way).

Truly I am not even sure what is legally ok, and whats not in Kansas...but don't care about tests, and drugs and vaccines, want to be completely natural.

Can anyone lead me to some information that's helpful. Including how often you meet prenatally with a given midwife, cost involved etc.

Thanks for reading and any help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 10:31 PM

Good luck. Sorry I can't be of more help. I'm in SW Kansas and can't find anyone who is willing to come here. Bird City is your closest bet. You could try SW corner of Nebraska, I've tried OK but no one there either. We're seriously considering doing a UC because I can't find anyone. 

There are a couple midwives in south central Kansas who are willing to help you if you will come to them and birth at their home (which for a couple of them involves induction...a definite NO for me). 

It bites. Sorry I can't help more. 

Wife to a wonderful husband, mom to 5 amazing boys, 2 m/c and Knox Cornelius our 5th son born at 15weeks 12/3/2011, Lillian Faith our 1st daughter, born at 14 weeks May 19, 2012 (Turner Syndrome). 

Old 10-11-2012, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply! This is just another benefit of living in the middle of no-where ;)

I guess I will call and ask the lady I found online. Wish I knew someone locally who had done this before. :(

Being so new to the idea even, I'm thinking I should just go back to my obgyn, and when push comes to shove, just "not be able to make it in..." when its time. Would that be stupid? I want to avoid the vacs and all that crap, but I don't really wanna be in legal trouble. Guess I should do some more research.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:05 PM

I don't think you'll be in legal trouble. Midwives aren't licensed here, they are considered "alegal" from my understanding. I think you could call the midwife in Bird City and see what she says. Sorry. That's why our only real option is a UC. We plan on having a friend who has had their last 7 children at home, come here for an extra set of hands. I hate that there aren't more options here. 

Wife to a wonderful husband, mom to 5 amazing boys, 2 m/c and Knox Cornelius our 5th son born at 15weeks 12/3/2011, Lillian Faith our 1st daughter, born at 14 weeks May 19, 2012 (Turner Syndrome). 

Old 10-18-2012, 07:31 PM

Here's what I found out today about the two midwives in this direction...

One is pregnant right now, for the time she is in bed rest I think. Her name is Sara Sowers and she is located in Bird City, KS I have her number if you need it. Sheila Toon has a birth center as well as does home births. She is in Larned. I have her number too.

User Tag List