Small snow friendly cars? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-11-2012, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

** I orig posted this in the "safety" forum, but realized this is probably a better fit**

Currently we are a one car house, and that works for us. I mostly bike or bus and my SO drives the car on a long commute everyday. I haven't had a car in 3 yrs and kinda hate to drive... However, with a LO on the way and my job situation requiring more flexible transportation, we've decided to get a second car.

I'd use his car (sadly, a gas guzzler SUV) and he'd get a small, efficient car (maybe a hybrid?) since he's the one who really packs on the miles. However, we're running into an issue. We live in Denver, and snows/iced roads are very common in the winter, especially on the side streets that don't get plowed. 

Does anyone know of a small, fuel efficient car with 4-wheel drive that would be spacious and safe enough to strap a kiddo into? Our budget is 20-30k, but we start getting nervous closer to 30k. 

We were looking at a Honda Fit or a Prius before thinking of snow, but with today's sprinkle we had a "DOH!" moment. 

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#2 of 6 Old 12-16-2012, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

We have a Honda CRV (all wheel drive) that works pretty well in the snow.

" rel="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/familybed2.gif">familybed2.gif  DD1 12/05, DD2 12/08

Computer Engineer- I write better in 1's and 0's. ;-)
#3 of 6 Old 12-16-2012, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

SUBARU

#4 of 6 Old 12-16-2012, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I also have a Honda CRV.  This is the first winter I've had it and we've barely had any snow so far, but I'm assuming it will do well.  The mileage is lower than the Honda Fit, but not all that much lower, and it's in your price range.  If all-wheel drive is important to you, that would be a good one to consider.  But probably you'd be fine with front-wheel drive and good snow tires.  We live in a snowy place, and my DP usually has no trouble getting around in his ancient Honda Civic with studded snow tires.  There are times he can't make it up our driveway without chains (when I can with 4-wheel drive), but we have a really long, steep driveway. 

#5 of 6 Old 12-17-2012, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a Toyota Matrix and I LOVE it!  It's not 4 wheel drive, but I have studded snow tires that I use in the winter and it handles like it's AWD with those.  I go to the mountains pretty frequently and have never had a problem in the snow.  Gas mileage is pretty good and it can hold a LOT of stuff, too!  I went on a 3 week road trip with my 2 kids and my friend and her son were with us for a week of that and we all fit in the car comfortably and had a Thule box on the roof to hold some stuff that wouldn't fit in the trunk.

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

#6 of 6 Old 12-18-2012, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for all the ideas! This weekend is when we are going to start visiting dealerships and stuff.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page