Southern Colorado OB/CNM? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-21-2013, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all! I am trying to find an OB or CNM in Pueblo that is going to work for me. I already have three kids, all were born out of the hospital (one in a free standing birth center, the others at home), but unfortunately it looks like I am going to have to have an OB or CNM for this one. There are VERY limited midwife options here in Pueblo and I just can not afford one. I'm on medicaid which limits my options even more. The midwives in CO can take CHP+ but not medicaid. So to a doc it is. :( 

These are the things I'm ideally looking for:

Female (MUST)

Naturally minded (for both pregnancy and birth, won't freak if I decline a test, etc)

Takes medicaid

I'm limited on funds but could probably manage southern Colorado Springs, Canon City, or La Junta if I needed to. I am going to see the CNM I was using as my gyn but based on what I know of her (from being her patient for the last couple years) I highly doubt she's going to be naturally minded.

So, anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

#2 of 11 Old 05-23-2013, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

Anyone have any suggestions? Good luck!!

#3 of 11 Old 05-23-2013, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

No suggestions so far. :( So far I have found ONE female OB in this whole town that accepts medicaid patients for ob services. I'm familiar with her too. I saw her once for my gyn and I vowed to never go back. She was horrible. I'm thinking I'm going to have to head to La Junta, Canon City, or Colorado Springs to hopefully find someone. 

#4 of 11 Old 05-28-2013, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

I just spoke with a practice in Colorado Springs that I'd heard great things about. They aren't accepting new medicaid patients though. Nor do they know of any female providers that are. I feel so stuck. I really don't want to do unassisted again (my new partner is not completely comfortable with that), but I feel like I'm practically being forced into it.

#5 of 11 Old 09-16-2013, 07:47 PM

Hi. I'm just getting started on this site. Only 7 weeks along now and thought I would look for some recommendations for a good practice/clinic. I live in Colorado Springs and this is baby #2 but 7 years later.
#6 of 11 Old 11-19-2013, 06:54 PM

Did you ladies find who you were looking for yet?  I live in Penrose and am just curious as to your journey in pregnancy and finding care.

#7 of 11 Old 11-22-2013, 06:48 AM

Are you wanting home birth or hospital birth? I like Dr Growney in Pueblo if you want hospital. I didn't have a good experience in CS. I had a vbac with a midwife from CS but she's not taking clients. I've heard good things about Sharon Mcdougal, Jessica Nipp and Dottie from CS. Gina Gerboth is in Denver but comes highly recommended too.

Wife to a wonderful husband, mom to 5 amazing boys, 2 m/c and Knox Cornelius our 5th son born at 15weeks 12/3/2011, Lillian Faith our 1st daughter, born at 14 weeks May 19, 2012 (Turner Syndrome). 

#8 of 11 Old 11-22-2013, 06:51 AM

Sorry went back an read your OP (posting from my phone). Dr Growney is a guy so he's out for you. I don't know of any other cnms in pueblo.

Wife to a wonderful husband, mom to 5 amazing boys, 2 m/c and Knox Cornelius our 5th son born at 15weeks 12/3/2011, Lillian Faith our 1st daughter, born at 14 weeks May 19, 2012 (Turner Syndrome). 

#9 of 11 Old 11-23-2013, 10:09 PM

Can you ask Pam Crowl http://www.coloradomidwife.com/ or Sharon McDougal http://www.beautifullyborn.com/  for suggestions or referrals?

In CS you could try Dr Hovenga or Dr Hammond or CNM Jana Flesher.  Not sure how far along you are by now, I know you originally posted in May.

I am a CPM new to CS and in process of setting up a homebirth practice but can't take Medicaid, and CHP+ hardly pays anything as I understand.

All the best to you!

Ramona

#10 of 11 Old 11-23-2013, 10:24 PM

Some obstetric providers for hospital birth that I have heard/seen recommended in Colorado Springs for various reasons are below. This is not to say I can recommend them directly, also not to say there aren't other good ones.

Dr. Christian York (laid back, supports natural CB, attends 95% of his patients' births, does free meet-n-greet)

Dr Jack Tubbs

Dr James Steigerwald

Dr Leann Hammond

Dr Bret Kort

Jana Flesher CNM

Dr David Stark

Dr Scott Russell

Dr Roland Baiza

Dr Peter Bianco

Dr Kevin Weary

Dr Fuller-Eddins

For homebirth midwives you can check the Colorado Midwives Association site, http://www.coloradomidwives.org/find-a-midwife, and do an internet search as well in case some aren't listed on there.  There are 8 or 10 practicing registered midwives in the CS area.

HTH :-)

#11 of 11 Old 02-04-2014, 07:10 PM

There is one female doc on the above list that I would NOT recommend after a friend's bad experience, but I hesitate to post it publically. If anyone would like to PM me, I can share more info privately.

Mama to Iris (01/10) and Gus (08/13)
angel.gifangel.gifangel.gifangel.gifangel.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page