Like Minded Pediatricians - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-26-2013, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello, fellow mamas! I am so happy to have found you and I instantly feel at home. It is truly such a gift to discover like minded people. I have a 5 year old son and a 7 week old baby. The birth of my second child has me once again on the hunt for an AP and vax friendly doctor. I have just moved to Longmont, CO and am trying to find a pediatrician that I resonate with. My experience in the past (even in a conscious place like Boulder, CO) has been leaving a pediatricians office feeling full of fear and guilt for not vaccinating my children or for co-sleeping with my newborn. I am hoping to find someone who at best shares my beliefs, or at the very least holds no judgement and respects my truth... because my decisions for my children are a 100%, my truth. Please let me know if anyone knows of a like minded pediatrician in the surrounding areas. Thanks! :)

#2 of 8 Old 06-26-2013, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I can't speak for them in the long run, since I am going to be a new mom in July, but we've gotten recommendations from a few area folks for two group practices in particular: Partners in Pediatrics and Pediatric Pathways. Both explicitly express support for both the topics you seem most concerned about. Both of those are in Denver, however.

Now, I don't know if this is heard of, but I wonder if you could contact them or other well-respected holistic practices and ask for recommendations in your area? 

I will say though, that I think it's difficult for a medical professional with an honest conviction about a topic to hide it, and so it might be asking too much of a doctor to not make his or her recommendations on a topic so central to public health issues as the decision to vaccinate, even if in the end, they respect your right to make the choice for your own kids. 

My issue is with finding a doctor that WILL recommend herbal/nutritional/behavioral treatments, but NOT homeopathy. Dunno how the sugar pills snuck in next to all the other "holistic wellness" practices, but it bugs the crap out of me! 

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#3 of 8 Old 07-04-2013, 07:40 PM

We have been going to Pediatric Pathway since DD3.5 was born. They are wonderful, open minded and very willing to work with you. Their main location is in Centennial, which is a bit far for you, but they have office hours at Mountain Midwifery and a place in the Highlands.
#4 of 8 Old 07-08-2013, 09:43 AM

I am also going to be a new mom this month and we received recommendations for both Pediatric Pathways and Partners in Pediatrics. We ended up touring both and hubby and I were both impressed with Pediatric Pathways. It definitely has a "mom and pop" feel and we liked that they support our decisions regarding vaccinations, etc. They didn't judge a single thing we had to say. Partners in Pediatrics was a little more judgmental, I felt. When we asked about doing a delayed vaccination schedule, we got a little bit of a lecture but they said they would do it.

It's definitely a bit of a drive for you but might be worth looking into if there aren't any others available in your area. Hope that helps and good luck!

#5 of 8 Old 07-08-2013, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We toured both facilities last week too, and got the same sense as clar--

I really liked that Partners in Pediatrics make a big deal of educating parents with lots of materials and a book they give you with info about troubleshooting common concerns.

However, they seemed more impersonal and actually forgot about us after the tour. We waited like 30mins before the doc rushed in and said no one told her we were here... :-/

At Pediatric Pathways, I did get a sense that they are a more tight knit group as doctors and though they didn't provide as many materials for us as parents, they seemed a lot more conversational and open to chatting about issues.

Also, I really liked that Pathways does some of the care the other place refers to Urgent Care for, like a small break or some stitches.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#6 of 8 Old 07-09-2013, 02:59 PM

One of the doctors at Pediatric Pathways actually met us at the office on a Sunday morning to see DD for croup. I was super impressed.
#7 of 8 Old 07-10-2013, 11:05 AM

we met with pediatric pathways and are so excited to be using them. totally in alignment with the model of care we're looking for!

#8 of 8 Old 07-11-2013, 09:06 AM

We also take our 11 month old daughter to Pediatric Pathways and have loved the quality of care received from their office. I asked Dr. Marceny during my tour/interview of the practice what his own parenting style was, and he said flat-out that he believes in AP principles and thinks they lead to happy, confident, healthy children. What other pedis would first recommend coconut oil and calendula for eczema and diaper rash before OTC medications? We love them!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page