Mothering Forum banner

Kansas Moms (& Dads)

9K views 174 replies 40 participants last post by  dara00 
#1 ·
Why don't we have an ongoing thread?
:
I'd love to hear about what everyone is doing.

It was hard to get out of bed today with the cold temps.
I have to get dd to get dressed and eat so we can start our homeschool activities for the day. We've taken some time off because I've been sick but her vacation is over!

See less See more
#127 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MySunflowerBoys View Post

Thanks for your comments about my blog. We go to the Wichita Down Syndrome Society meetings every month, so maybe I have met your friend there! I was also on the Buddy Walk planning committee. There isn't a meeting in Dec, so we won't be at one until January..
I clicked on the link for the DSS and recognized some of the people and the background, since it seems like Heartsprings is our second home sometimes. Do you go there for therapies by any chance? We don't live too far from there if you ever want to meet up.

#129 ·
Hi ladies, just thought I would drop in. I never seem to post on MDC anymore, but I live in KS now so I thought I would say "hi".

Is there anyone that lives down in the southern part of the state. I am so jealous of the Dr. that ya'll have been able to find up in the KC area! I live south of Wichita, practically in OK (15 miles) in a very rural very small town.

Anyway, hello to all! and yes, we were enjoying the warmer weather yesterday...........praying for spring over here!

#130 ·
Hi! I'm new here (to the MDC tribal areas, anyway, not quite so new to Kansas. I've spent most of my life in one KS town or another.) I'm currently settled in Goddard, just outside of Wichita. We're closing on our new home in 3 weeks, actually, so I guess I'm really settled here now.

Anyone else in this area, or are almost all of you more northerly and easterly?

And yes, I'm enjoying the somewhat warmer weather, though it's not nearly warm enough for me yet. I'm itching to garden in my new back yard.

Anyway, hi! It's good to see I'm not the only one on here from KS.

#131 ·
I'm in Wichita, as are a couple of other MDC moms. Check out the link in my sig. We are getting ready to have a potluck at the end of the month, so that would be a great time for you to meet some other families.

#132 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bionicsquirrel View Post
I'm in Wichita, as are a couple of other MDC moms. Check out the link in my sig. We are getting ready to have a potluck at the end of the month, so that would be a great time for you to meet some other families.
A potluck sounds fun, but I'm sort of homebound right now. I don't drive, and DH is working up in Topeka area until April.
Not much chance of going anywhere that I can't walk to on my own two feet.

#133 ·
Hi, I've just checked out this thread today but have been on MDC for a couple of months (lurking, just signed up). Bionicsquirrel I just signed up for your Wichita AP group on yahoo. So glad to find some other AP parents and MDC people here in Wichita

#138 ·
How is everyone doing?

Are there any events or places to go in your area that you are excited about for summer?

It isn't super close to us but we are going to try to go to World's of Fun next week. I've never been there and dd has been begging to go.

#140 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by monkaha View Post
How come you Lawrence peeps have the only Dunkin Donuts?? That's the REAL reason y'all live there, isn't it?

OMG I think I'm driving to Lawrence how I miss Dunkin Donuts. I think Krispey Kremes are too sweet. If it weren't for DD I never would have survived my a.m. sickness. All I could eat was their jelly donuts. I swore ds would be a traffic cop ;-)

#141 ·
As far as events we are looking foward too...
Well we've got softball, and girl scout camp for my youngest. She's going to church camp for the first time now that she's a big 3rd grader she's finally old enuff to GO!

My older two are looking foward to summer school (not)
but both have mission trips.
my son's trip is local bc he is in jr. high. As a reward they do an obstacle course and Oceans of Fun. both were suprises to him.
They will stay in dorms at a local University.
The jr. high used to go to St. Louis but parents decided to keep the jr. high kids local this yr.

My high schooler is going on a mission trip to Minneapolis put on my a big group that organizes youth work trips.

They also love to go to the pools. Esp Tomahawk Ridge to the "Beach." I think they are all too old to play in the sandbox there now. LOL But I'm sure they will try.

#142 ·
Youngest is doing Survival Camp through the nature center and taking fencing lessons. Oldest is babysitting, doing youth theater and taking tennis lessons. Both will continue music lessons, and probably spend a chunk of every day at the pool.

We might go to New Mexico for a family vacation. Gas prices might encourage us to stay home.

What we are really looking forward to is the Fiddlin and Picking championships at the end of summer and then, right after school starts, WINFIELD! WOOT!! WOOT!!

#144 ·
We were going to go to Las Vegas, NM; some close friends of ours live there. Now they are moving at the end of summer, and gas prices are so high, and Lawrence is so much fun in the summer anyway. We might just stay home.

My youngest dtr and I take fencing lessons through Lawrence Parks and Recreation classes. You have to be 14 to take them, but they let her sign up (she started this spring, when she was 9) if I agreed to take them with her. The instructor is a goof, he's great with kids, and it is really laid back. He also give private lessons, and we've done that, too. The class fee includes fencing gear (though you don't get to take it home), and we used that for a while, but we just bought our own gear since it appears she wants to do this for a while.

#145 ·
A poster from car-seat.org recommend I come here to find some like minded mommies in my area. Here's hoping so! I get strange looks and comments whenever I open my mouth, it seems, these days.
I live in Shawnee, and I gotta say I was somewhat surprised by the dissing of JoCo, lol. I've lived on both the KS and MO sides, though my mother demanded we live in on the KS side as soon as I was schoolage so I wouldn't fall prey to the KCMO school district. Go mom. lol But having lived part time in Independence with my dad, and seen other relatives homes throughout the KCMO area, I thank God (and mom, lol) we're in JoCo. Anyways - so is there any actual meeting stuff set up yet? I'd love to get more involved with a mom's group at church, but oddly enough, church is one of the main places where my AP ideas get stomped on as spoiling my child. I'm a single mom which further puts me in a minority, lol.

#146 ·
Welcome Angelfire! I live pretty close to you.
My job takes me into a lot of schools, including KCMO, LS, and Ind. Districts.
If things don't change with my son's school we may move over. SMSD is noted to be great on academics but as far as special needs they are notorious for being tough to get services from.

Thanks for the info on fencing. I've seen it offerered thru our county parks and rec and ds wants to do it very badly. Haven't ever known anyone who has done it though, so the info is appreciated.

Does anyone know a good vet in JOCO? I have a sick puppy. 9 weeks old and hasn't had her shots yet (because of wanting to research what is minimally necessary and $.) Like everyone else, waiting on our stimulus check. LOL. Anyhow. I need a vet who is not going to scream at me as the one I found last night for having a puppy who is not yet vaccinated and not going to go a more natural route.

#147 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Labbemama View Post
Welcome Angelfire! I live pretty close to you.
My job takes me into a lot of schools, including KCMO, LS, and Ind. Districts.
If things don't change with my son's school we may move over. SMSD is noted to be great on academics but as far as special needs they are notorious for being tough to get services from.
I had no idea! I knew the academics were good, and I know the schools I went to always had special needs kids, but I must say I didn't see them much, I did used to work in the learning center in elementary school, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Labbemama View Post
Does anyone know a good vet in JOCO? I have a sick puppy. 9 weeks old and hasn't had her shots yet (because of wanting to research what is minimally necessary and $.) Like everyone else, waiting on our stimulus check. LOL. Anyhow. I need a vet who is not going to scream at me as the one I found last night for having a puppy who is not yet vaccinated and not going to go a more natural route.
Absolutely! Fairway Animal Clinic. No - they're not the cheapest around, but every last one of the Dr.s knows their stuff. And around here it seems you really do have to be careful - a friend recently lost their dog b/c a vet failed to diagnose it correctly and kept treating it a wrong way despite obvious symptoms they weren't doing what they should. Our dog just had some major problems (trigeminal neuropathy, horner's syndrome) and they were great - even giving us bandaging to use at home and not charging for every single one of the umpteen visits we had to make on a weekly basis for a month. They're awesome. We like Dr. White best, but are happy to see any of them. As for the natual stuff, I can't tell ya there - we do all the vax for the pets. Thanks for the happy welcome.

Another note on the schools, its rather ironic to me that my mom moved to JoCo specifically for the skills when I was a kid, but even having access to them, I hope to homeschool my son, who's almost 4.

#150 ·
i was in lawrence but i was living with my ex and my mom and there was a ton of drama surrounding that. i was homeless for awhile with my kids at my moms and now im living in topeka with my boyfriend.

ive started going to the la leche meetings and i enjoy it alot.
ive been to one ap meeting and i think it would have been more fun if my kids had been there...

im mostly not too thrilled because i cant walk anywhere and people are always throwing trash out thier windows. as a long time resident of lawrence its taking some getting used to...

#151 ·
Here in Lenexa for the time-being. When DH gets home we'll be off to CA again, and then who knows where? Maybe twin cities. Just not crunchy enough for us here- which is sad because we are very loyal and both grew up here. But after living in CA...I just don't think we could stay here. It's good for now though cuz I got my mama!

#152 ·
Bumping and stopping by to say hey to everybody. I've been out of the loop for a bit. So much for a relaxing summer...

Anybody going to the last band concert at South Park tomorrow night? I think we're going to brave the mosquitos and go since we have managed to miss all of them up to now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.