Midwife in Lincoln, NE - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 01-22-2008, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

In April 2006 I had my daughter at St. Elizabeth's hospital in Lincoln, NE. I wanted a home birth but was told it was illegal and could not find a home birthing center or midwife that would do a home birth.

I still was determined NOT to have a medical birth. I read Birthing From Within, and several other books about natural child birth. I did extensive web searches and still nothing. So I made the decision to use a midwife practicing with an ob-gyn practice. She sold herself really well. She has 4 children, 20+ years exeperience as a midwife, low c-section rate, and had experienced a VBAC with her own child and in her practice. Good deal right?

During my pregnancy she was great! She didn't probe me and do internal (painful) exams each time I was there. She didn't test me every couple of weeks for STD's or each time I had a yeast infection which is VERY common in pregnancy. I never waited long for appointments, she was prompt and educated me well about pregnancy and birth. We went over my birth plan extensively and often. We had a list of questions and suggestions she would offer in the event I gave up and asked for an epidural.

I was almost two weeks late and was induced. Shouldn't have happened, however, it did go well. I went into the hospital aroun 8pm and what follows is my birth story. Please keep in mind that at NO time did Carol ask me to walk, ask me to wait even 20 minutes before considering an epi, nor did she stay at my side longer than five minute a total of two times during an 18 hour labor UNTIL I HAD A C-SECTION. Yes, this IS a midwife. The word midwife alone should have prevented such extreme measures. Yes, I was the on who asked for an epi but I was 7 cm and in transition with my first child, no husband, no friends, no coach or doula which I couldn't afford at the time. In the throws of the most intense pain you will ever experience it is absurd for someone to assume you are in your right mind to make these choices, this is precisly why we have doula's and midwives and BIRTH PLANS that are promised to be respected!!!! Please keep in mind that at NO TIME did my stats or my baby's stats go even close to a dangerous range.

Read and make your own choice. I am not claiming she isn't a caring or educated person that can get your baby here safe. I just question the ethics and morals involved....why be a midwife if you can not provide the services you offer?? The services you PROMISE to a patient seeking your help and guidence and the services that are in your mission statement on the pamphets you hand out???

**If you detect some hurt and anger in my post, yes, you are right. I am hurt that the person who put my confidence in let me down. I looked to Carol for guidence and to respect my wishes. When I asked if she was the right person for me, she said yes. I was/am angry that even the slightest attempt to encourage and support me during my labor was NOT made. When I asked for an epi, she simply said ok, signed a paper and walked out. I did not see her for another 8 hours when she came back to convince (scare me) into a c-section.

Thank you for listening without judgement and may you have the birth of your dreams!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~My Birth Story~

I was due on 4/14 was induced the night of 4/19 and had a c-section the evening of 4/20. Kylie was 5 days overdue and I was READY so I checked into the hospital at 8pm Wednesday April 19th 2006. They inserted a prostaglandin pill near my cervix to try and start labor. My midwife said if my body was ready it would work if not it might only give me some contractions and send me home. I took the chance. I was a little over 1cm and 80% effaced when I checked in. I was having contractions that felt like menstrual cramps ranging from every 5-10 minutes all the way up to 20 minutes apart and had been having them like this since the previous Friday. Monday I was barely 1cm so I’d made little progress. I was miserable the last few weeks but in hindsight I would’ve waited longer if I knew what was to come.

About 1 hour after the pill was inserted my contractions began getting closer together but not much more intense. They were about 5 minutes apart and steady but still felt like mild-moderate menstrual cramps. Finally around 3am I felt a popping and from then until around 6am on I had contractions every 2-5 minutes and growing in intensity. Around 7am they were 2-3 minutes apart and VERY intense, the worst pain I’d ever felt. I asked for an epi and around 8am my midwife checked me and I was 7cm and 100% effaced. She broke my water and it seemed like gallons came out every few minutes for the next hour. It was insane! At this time they started pitocin thinking baby would come in an hour or two at most. They gave me my epidural at 8:30am at that time my contractions were about 1 minute apart and not coming down all the way. Had I known this was transition and how close I really was I wouldn’t have taken the epi. Nobody, not even my midwife, tried to tell me how close I was and that if I would just hang in there a little longer baby would be there. I was out of my head in pain and shouldn’t have made the decision I made at that time. Next time I will not get the epi because it slowed my labor considerably. For the next 6 hours my contractions stayed intense but were only 3-5 minutes apart again. Finally, the last two hours before my c-section they were coming every 1-2 minutes but still no progress and I was feeling them pretty good by now even with the epidural. I spent 8 ½ hours at 7 cm and they upped the pitocin every 1-1 ½ hours……so they told me they wanted to do a c-section. I was bawling hysterically and by this time my epidural had warn off two hours prior to my c-section and I felt guilty continuing hard labor due to stress it may be putting on the baby. In fact babies heart rate was excellent the entire labor and there was no reason to take me in that early. My heart rate kept dropping down to 80/50 but that didn't seem to concern them too much. I asked for a few more hours to labor and they didn't seem to want to let me go that much longer so reluctantly I agreed. I ended up getting really sick in the delivery room and didn’t get to hold my little girl for an hour after she was born. I didn’t get to see the cord cut by my mom and I had no say in the testing they did to her.

Ultimately, I have this precious and beautiful little miracle and that is all that matters. However, my birth was so far from what I had wanted and it took me a week to get a grip on it enough to write this. I really feel had I had more support I would’ve delivered her naturally. I have nothing against anyone’s decision to have a c-section but it just wasn’t what I wanted and I felt guilty about that.

Given all this, the moment Kylie was born was still the most magical and wonderful moment of my life and I would do it all over again just to have her. The following days in the hospital were a wonderful experience. The nurses and nurse assistants treated Kylie and me wonderfully. This was truly the most amazing thing that has ever happened to me and I definitely want to do it again. I want to try for a VBAC next time and now I feel I am more armed for what can happen. I went through 18 hours of intense labor and didn’t realize that I was soooooooo close. Now that I do I know I can make it through next time and I will definitely have a doula and/or my best friend there to make those decisions for me when I’m out of my head in pain and wanting to give up.
#2 of 20 Old 01-23-2008, 12:52 PM

s mama

I am so sorry for your birth experience. For future reference there are midwives in NE who perform underground homebirths. Although, I do not know there stance on vbac's. I know what you mean about ppl not respecting your wishes and I am so so sorry you had to go thru this. However, I am glad you have your baby girl! We have unassisted childbirths, which are not for everyone but I can tell you, having a baby at home is entirely different and wonderful from my hospital experience. There was no reason for the epi (you didnt know that, but your midwife CERTAINLY did) and I see no reason for your section. There's a website, I believe its www.ican.org or www.ican.com that offers support for women who have endured a c-section. I dont' think there is a nebraska chapter but I am sure you would still find some comfort there.

Again, big s and congratulations!
(I know, its a funny feeling of disappointment and complete happiness)

Tabitha, married to my best friend Steven - Mama to 6 little ones and another on the way!
#3 of 20 Old 01-26-2008, 11:36 PM

I am so sorry about your birth experience. I can completely relate. I had a very similar experience my first birth; however, I quickly dilated to 10 while my GP stopped back at the office and managed to avoid the C-Section. Since then I've had 3 homebirths with midwives and 6 UCs.

Thanks for sharing your birth story. I am in Omaha, but I was just in Lincoln yesterday.
#4 of 20 Old 01-28-2008, 07:28 PM

is this carol greenlee? Just curious as I just started seeing her a couple weeks ago.

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#5 of 20 Old 01-30-2008, 01:23 AM

would you mind telling the name of your midwife? i'm just wondering if it's one i'm seeing?
#6 of 20 Old 01-30-2008, 04:21 AM

I am so sorry you had a such a rough and traumatic experience. I wish had more I could say to you to help you feel better.

I have to say after seeing the midwives at Heart and Hands in Lincoln and having an unmedicated waterbirth at St. Elizabeth with a doula (doula mary on here) that it is all about support!! I would reccomend to anyone looking for a midwife, the midwives at Heart and Hands. I mainly saw Jearilyn and she did deliver my little guy and I cannot say enough good things about her and her care. My doula was awesome too!! It was my second birth and my first was a bit traumatic, not a c-section, so there is still hope for a better second birth experience!
#7 of 20 Old 07-30-2008, 09:34 PM

We had a very medical experience with the midwife in Lincoln also, more medical than my family doc. or ob. ever were (we have 6 dc.)
#8 of 20 Old 07-31-2008, 05:48 PM

Hi I just moved to Omaha and I am trying to find a midwife. Does anyone know of any? Im 10 weeks with my first.
#9 of 20 Old 07-31-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandalion View Post
Hi I just moved to Omaha and I am trying to find a midwife. Does anyone know of any? Im 10 weeks with my first.
Well, unfortunately, the midwives in Omaha are more MEDwives than anything else. They were WAY more medical than my doc.... I strongly recommend Dr. Monty Mathews at the University. We UC but he is the doc I see once or twice during pg. He is truly awesome. I would recommend Dr. David Harnisch as he is our "personal" favorite, however, he's very difficult to get into. I did hear that he was accepting ob patients though. I just don't think you'll get the kind of care you're looking for with the midwives. It's almost like they're too scared to be too natural if that makes sense. Now this is assuming you want a hospital birth. If you're looking for a homebirth, there is one "underground" midwife since it is technically illegal to have a midwife assisted homebirth in Nebraska.

Good Luck!

Tabitha, married to my best friend Steven - Mama to 6 little ones and another on the way!
#10 of 20 Old 08-18-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I work for a FAB husband and wife private practice Ob/Gyn in Papillion. He has delivered both my girls and they are very crunchy, like midwives in disguise...haha. Very pro-breast feeding, no formula hand outs, they are all for unmedicated births, allow patients to NOT be strapped to beds during labor and I could go on and on but honestly he and his wife are great! She is a LLL teacher as well. He taught me to breast feed because the nurses left me after birth. He and his wife deliver at Bergan, Methodist, UNMC, and Midlands. He and her do their own deliveries, no weird doc coming in to deliver you have never met. They do their own ultrasounds and the staff is great (well, I am biased because I work for them!) Anyway, if you want to PM for more info please let me know.
#11 of 20 Old 08-21-2008, 02:38 PM

I always love hearing stuff like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytwogirls View Post
I work for a FAB husband and wife private practice Ob/Gyn in Papillion. He has delivered both my girls and they are very crunchy, like midwives in disguise...haha. Very pro-breast feeding, no formula hand outs, they are all for unmedicated births, allow patients to NOT be strapped to beds during labor and I could go on and on but honestly he and his wife are great! She is a LLL teacher as well. He taught me to breast feed because the nurses left me after birth. He and his wife deliver at Bergan, Methodist, UNMC, and Midlands. He and her do their own deliveries, no weird doc coming in to deliver you have never met. They do their own ultrasounds and the staff is great (well, I am biased because I work for them!) Anyway, if you want to PM for more info please let me know.

#12 of 20 Old 08-21-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
My friends have been super happy w/ the MWs at Methodist. They won't take VBAC patients so I didn't even try w/ them this time. I see a great OB who has delivered all my babies, my c/s and my VBACs.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#13 of 20 Old 08-22-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeach80 View Post
My friends have been super happy w/ the MWs at Methodist. They won't take VBAC patients so I didn't even try w/ them this time. I see a great OB who has delivered all my babies, my c/s and my VBACs.
Is it Dr. Sean McFadden? Kay Thatcher? They do VBACs and high risk? Just wondering.
#14 of 20 Old 08-22-2008, 05:14 PM

No, I see Dr. Robert Bossert through Alegent. I've been very happy w/ him, despite my unnecessary c/s. Slight : but we moved on. I was going to interview the MW at UNMC (despite some negative things about them and VBACs), but I was so sick the day of my appt and I never rescheduled.

#15 of 20 Old 08-23-2008, 11:32 PM

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I found it by searching google for an underground midwife. (not that I expected that to actually lead me to one!) I am currently considering two options: UC and homebirth with a midwife. In either case, I am also seeking a doula for both options. Can someone please please please give me some tips to locate an underground midwife in the Lincoln area? I have had absolutely no luck and have been at this for days and days! Thanks so much.
#16 of 20 Old 08-24-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantahomebirth View Post
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I found it by searching google for an underground midwife. (not that I expected that to actually lead me to one!) I am currently considering two options: UC and homebirth with a midwife. In either case, I am also seeking a doula for both options. Can someone please please please give me some tips to locate an underground midwife in the Lincoln area? I have had absolutely no luck and have been at this for days and days! Thanks so much.
Hmmmm. I wish I could help you out, but hon I just don't know any doulas around this area I am sorry. I wish you the best of luck though and keep checking back, you may get an answer.
#17 of 20 Old 08-25-2008, 05:36 PM

I had a doula w/my first. I since lost touch with her and I am not sure where she went! Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

#18 of 20 Old 09-22-2008, 10:40 PM

I had a rather MEDwife experience with Carol Greenlee as well. It was almost a year before I could process it all and see how many things she did that were so unnecessary. Like breaking my water when I was at 10 and ready to push - it threw my until-then very manageable contractions into overdrive and I totally lost my focus. I never regained control and things spiraled from there on out. Plus she found a way at the very end to get me on the bed, flat on my back with my knees up so she could be comfortable while she caught the baby. Grrrr...

When I hired a midwife, I thought I was hiring someone who would let me just GIVE BIRTH.

Is there anyone in Lincoln who will do that? Can I keep my baby after delivery? Can I NOT cut the cord directly after birth? Would someone please use herbs and salves on my perineal tears rather than crookedly stitching them up??!!

When I get pregnant again, I might just move out of state. Boo Nebraska.

High-tech Hippie Mama to Dd1 (9/22/06), Dd2 (2/25/10) and Ds (05/27/2013). I eat Clean, cloth diaper, and spend way too much time online.

#19 of 20 Old 09-23-2008, 07:10 PM

Hi Laura, how's Sophia doing?! I was just thinking about her the other day. I have a friend in Omaha who delivered at Heart and Hands, is that right? She loved her experience and I think she's planning on doing it again w/ the baby she's pg w/ now.

#20 of 20 Old 04-09-2014, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Can ANYONE please direct me to an underground home-birthing midwife here in Omaha??   :treehugger

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page