Other Wyoming mamas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 06-22-2009, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious...this particular tribe doesn't seem too active. So hellooo?

Novel writing student Mama to ds (8y) and new DD 1-13-10.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 42 Old 06-23-2009, 03:49 PM

There are a few of us ... pretty scattered around I think.

I live in Sheridan.

Not all who wander are lost.
#3 of 42 Old 06-23-2009, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Everything is scattered around in Wyoming. We are in Pinedale. Nice to see at least that I am not the only one.

Novel writing student Mama to ds (8y) and new DD 1-13-10.

#4 of 42 Old 06-26-2009, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I live in Worland.

And.. just this past weekend found out I'm pregnant with our fourth. Terrified at this point still. And trying to figure out what to do for the birth... I just want to be at home. I'm going to do everything I can to make that work.

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
#5 of 42 Old 06-28-2009, 10:17 PM

Oh, Judybean - I hope you're able to find a way to make it work!

We're contemplating #3 - would like a homebirth - I labor so quickly we're doubting our options could include an assisted homebirth, given how far she'd have to travel. I'm more ready than dh to contemplate the UC route.

Good luck to you while you figure it out! And congratulations on the upcoming arrival of another little one!

#6 of 42 Old 07-01-2009, 10:47 AM

Thank you elanor!

I don't really know exactly what I'll do... with dd3, her birth was *SO* fast, that I really question whether an assisted homebirth would work as well! (I went from just general laboring while not feeling too badly at all, to taking a shower to her birth in about 40 minutes! it was a rush!).

I have to laugh at the "being more ready than dh to contemplate the UC route" .. because that's so where I am -- but even on homebirth.. I'm only about six weeks along at this point, but I need to start figuring out things!

Thing is, we haven't told anybody. Well, I've told just ONE very close friend (I don't even think I told dh that I told her ).. but otherwise nobody knows... but I think I'm just going to have to get over that and put out the word that I'm looking at my options for homebirthing and such. I'm quite surprised that the more I talk about it, the more I hear from people that they know somebody that has or whatnot.

I hear there's a lady in Ten Sleep that had all her children at home (though not sure if there was a midwife or not)... and actually, a lady I work with at the coffee shop (who does not seem crunchy in the least!) had her last two children at home!! I just found this out last week! .. but her youngest is probably 18 now... so that was a while ago

Thank you for the well-wishes! This wasn't quite a planned thing.. and I was hoping to have more of an idea what I would do birthing-wise *before* another babe came along... I guess this will just speed up my process

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
#7 of 42 Old 07-02-2009, 02:57 PM

We live in Cheyenne. We are planning on 2 other babies while we are here... Though the local options don't seem too good. We are military and Tricare doesn't pay for many providers; especially not very many midwives. The obgyns in Cheyenne are super medically-oriented and dishonor birth plans. I spoke to a mama who had a natural birth and did not want her cord to be pulled, yet the doctor did it to get out that placenta faster and gave her attitude... :
We have the option of Colorado.... And homebirth out of pocket... But last time I hemorrhaged and needed a Pitocin shot after I delivered the placenta... And my midwife said I was fine, yet the ob over the phone insisted I had HELLP syndrome (my MD sister reviewed my file and said that doc is full of it). With that history, they won't allow homebirth. Can I just claim the baby was born in Europe - they never wanna see medical records from Europe in my experience? What do you think about that?

@ judybean: Good luck!
#8 of 42 Old 07-03-2009, 03:53 PM

Hmm, I don't know (about the medical records/Europe question). What does your sister think you should do?? I'm not familiar with HELLP or anything ....

Maybe someone here has a good recommendation of a midwife-minded OB, or a good CNM who could bridge the difference for you? My OB is awesome, but we're all the way up in Sheridan, which does you no good....

#9 of 42 Old 07-09-2009, 10:39 AM

We're in Thermopolis. For now anyway. If we can get the house sold, we off to Montana. We're TTC at the moment with # 2. With hubby working in Billings at the moment, that's become a little more tricky.
#10 of 42 Old 07-09-2009, 01:25 PM

Wow! You're just 30 miles from me And we travel to Thermop often to go to Nature's Corner

#11 of 42 Old 07-09-2009, 05:29 PM

I just joined and wanted to say hello! I live in Sheridan; we just moved here last summer from Colorado. SAHM to Maya (August '06)
Struggling to like it here; mainly 'cause I can't find any like-minded mamas. Glad to find this Mothering blog!
-Jenna
#12 of 42 Old 07-10-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judybean View Post
Wow! You're just 30 miles from me And we travel to Thermop often to go to Nature's Corner

Hi!
#13 of 42 Old 07-10-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSage View Post
Hi!
You're the closest person (by far) I've ever "seen" to me on here ... I almost went down your way yesterday to go swimming in the hot springs.. then I remembered dh took the van to work and I didn't think I'd make it down there on the bike with my youngest on the trail-a-bike

#14 of 42 Old 07-17-2009, 06:38 PM

Hi, I'm in Cheyenne too but haven't been on MDC in a while (I'm nursing my 3 month old as we speak, and have three others running around).

I'm actually looking for midwife recommendations for a girlfriend. My CNM was from Denver and doesn't want to travel up here any more, and there are a few bumps in the road with the new CNM in Laramie. Anybody else have any ideas or suggestions???

Thanks!
#15 of 42 Old 08-12-2009, 03:21 PM

BUMP!

I am trying to find some kind of mom's club or group for my friend who lives in Pinedale. She has a daughter that is 5 months old.

I tried LLL and MOPS but everything is so far from them? Suggestions? please

Mama to 3 amazing girls
#16 of 42 Old 08-15-2009, 12:48 PM

Hi Ladies! I thought I'd jump in here and ask those of you who live in Sheridan (I noticed that there was 2? of you) what you think of it?

mayasmomma, you mentioned that you are having trouble finding like-minded people there. Is it super conservative or something, not alot of free thinkers? Not that I know what side you lean towards...but anyway, thought this would be worth a shot. I've placed a ot of value on the opinions of mothering.com mamas in the past when looking to move, and have never been steered wrong. Though I can find alot of info on the web, I'd love other mamas views of life in Sheridan.

We are mostly a natural living type of family: co-sleeping, extended bf'ing, cloth diapering, organic foods, and I'm pregnant so would also be interested in the birthing environment there!

Thanks for any and all info!
#17 of 42 Old 08-18-2009, 09:07 PM

onlymom - I have a friend who lives in Pinedale! (Well, on a ranch outside of Pinedale). She cloth diapered, gardens, breastfed both kiddos at least a year, etc. Her kids are 3 and 5, though .... LMK whether you think your friend would like to meet her. She just moved there a couple years ago, and hasn't met a lot of people herself since she lives out of town. I think she'd be 'up' to meet someone, if your friend is interested. PM me!

Nick&jonmom - are you a MT native, or transplant? I was born in MT. I've lived in Sheridan for 8 years now ... there is a small, vibrant, and hidden community of liberal folks in Sheridan. They're hard to find unless you know the right people, I think. We belong to a CSA, there's a local foods directory for people who want to eat locally grown foods ... there is the Health Nut for organic foods, as well as a co-op through the Seventh Day Adventists (I believe) .... some of the stores carry some organic stuff. It's piecemeal.

I think people are typical nice Westerners in Sheridan ... there is a strong lean to the 'right' politically for the overall population (the Tea Party protesters won their category in the parade, they had their own float for the WYO rodeo) .... That leaning is true throughout the state, though, other than some blue pockets in Jackson and Laramie. Quite an emphasis on the Libertarian/self-sufficiency approach .... At the same time, there is a really nice trails/walking path system, and we've got better recycling than Missoula! So it's a mix. Overall, I think the population skews a bit to the older folks (there are quite a few people in their fifties and above, it's somewhat a retirement community). There's quite a bit to do .... where do you live now? That would give a better feel for what you'd need to know. The schools are good in Sheridan, and there are a couple very active homeschool groups as well....

And ... I must admit I haven't checked out MOPs or MOMs in Sheridan. I am really not a fan of that whole dynamic that all-female groups sometimes take on, and I'm chicken, and I haven't gone. Mayasmomma and I talked about meeting up sometime but we haven't yet ... maybe soon?

ETA: I think both OBs in Sheridan are good ... I see Dr. Scott. There aren't any local midwives, although some people travel to Billings.... I think the c/s rate is quite low, other than the fact that once they do a c/s, it's a VBAC ban hospital. I've heard good things about both OBs in terms of natural birth, etc. Dr. Scott has been supportive of me breastfeeding past a year, and breastfeeding on an elimination diet, etc. I like him very much. I think you wouldn't go wrong with either doctor -- on the other hand, birth at the hospital in Sheridan is uber-expensive, so unless you've got good insurance you might not like the bill! SJ born in '06 cost us nearly $7,000 for a simple no-intervention birth.

#18 of 42 Old 08-22-2009, 04:27 PM

You guys all live so far away! I'm thinking of joining the AP meetup group in Fort Collins, CO. It's a 40 minute or so ride, but they have a Wholefoods and stuff, so I could combine it with a shopping trip.
I know some extended nursers in the local military mom group... I can finally do more meetings now that I'm over my kidney infection (that sucked!!!).
If any of you guys know about the local hospital, I'd love to learn more. I looked up stats at the WY department of health, and they list a 40% csection rate for our county (and hm I think there is only one hospital that has amternity - the Cheyenne one!). So that's quite annoying... I was referred to a obgyn from the military that actually isn't covered by them (as long as I get referred it is fine though). Interestingly, they list VBAC as a service on their website. Maybe they are more natural minded? I'll find out during my checkup. I'd love a homebirth but it's gonna be out of pocket.... And money doesn't grow on trees... We could do it, but I'm so worried that I need a transfer and then all the money was for nothing.
#19 of 42 Old 08-24-2009, 12:16 PM

I live in Sinclair. Not too many of us!

Tristian, vegetarian wife to Matt, intactivist, UC supporting mama to my little earth-child-in-training, Ginny (4), and my sweet boy, Finnian (2).  Due mid-July with our third little one!

#20 of 42 Old 09-06-2009, 01:28 AM

I am from Gillette. I would love to find a family doctor or pediatrician that is pro vaccination choice within a few hours driving distance. I am married (7 years) have a daughter who is 18 months. She was born c-section but I will be trying for a natural VBAC with a midwife in Spearfish, SD for our second. Hopefully trying to concieve sometime this winter.
#21 of 42 Old 12-23-2009, 01:39 PM

I just found this thread but wanted to say "Hi" to everyone. I live in the Burns area just outside of Cheyenne.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#22 of 42 Old 02-13-2010, 01:20 AM

Hi, all!

I thought this might be the best way to let everyone know (if they don't already) that there is another Midwife bill in the legislature this year.

It's a Budget Session, so they need 2/3 majority to pass it.

If you want to know more about the bill, and are on Facebook, they have a group (Wyoming for Birth Options) that people are using to keep updated on progress etc. They have a link to the bill's wording, etc. as well.

They also have a website, http://www.wyomingforbirthoptions.org

Please, contact your Senator and Representative (and if you know someone else who works in the legislature but doesn't represent you per se, feel free to contact them, too ).

We only have until the 20th to get this done!

Will start a separate thread on this to make sure the word gets out, and to separate it out from this thread too.

#23 of 42 Old 02-18-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becker206 View Post
I am from Gillette. I would love to find a family doctor or pediatrician that is pro vaccination choice within a few hours driving distance. I am married (7 years) have a daughter who is 18 months. She was born c-section but I will be trying for a natural VBAC with a midwife in Spearfish, SD for our second. Hopefully trying to concieve sometime this winter.
I'm pretty late getting to this thread (don't check in as often as I should), but I wanted to let you know that Dr. Wohl in Sheridan is VERY pro-vax choice. For us, he said he'd feel negligent if he didn't give us this little packet he had, and we took it, glanced over it, but he even put a note in our chart that we're not to be bothered about vax's. Oh, and he homeschooled his 3 kids, and his one PA I know homeschooled hers, too. I absolutely love the practice, and we're probably going to be moving soon, and I'm SO sad to leave them. I pray we'll find a pedi who's as good. We've used both the MD's in his practice (he and Dr. Oss, who was there when our twins were delivered), and one of the PA's, and we've been very impressed with all of them, as well as the nurses and office staff.

Kristi

Wife to 1 since 2000

Mom to 6 hippie.gif('01), jammin.gif ('02), superhero.gif('07), bouncy.gif ('09), energy.gif ('09), diaper.gif ('10)

homeschool.gif

#24 of 42 Old 08-15-2010, 02:53 AM

Are there any mama in Sheridan still on this forum. I'm moving to Sheridan soon and my husband and I are looking for like minded couples. We live as naturally as possible, co-sleep, extended bf'ing, etc.
#25 of 42 Old 08-25-2010, 07:38 PM

Yes, there are two Sheridan moms still posting here (I'm one of them). What's bringing you to Sheridan?

#26 of 42 Old 10-05-2010, 05:43 PM

Hi elanorh,

I have been busy selling our house and trying to move so there hasn't been too much internet time the last couple of months. We currently live in *******, MT. My husband is a high school science teacher so we needed to find a better place for him to teach so I could spend more time at home. Montana teaching salaries are horrific. My husband, Marc, is already in Sheridan. I will be moving in three weeks. I'm hoping to find some fun people there. ******* is sooooo boring! I am a wildlife biologist but I am planning on taking a career hiatus to stay home with my one year old son for a few years. And maybe have baby #2 next year. I'm planning on doing some work from home, but I would also like to get together with other moms during the day and find fun things for the kids to do.

Do you like raising kids in Sheridan?
#27 of 42 Old 10-06-2010, 06:51 PM

Since it appears there's almost no one from South Dakota here, I thought I'd come over an say hi to you all.

I'm in Belle Fourche, SD, which is right on the border. I'm a doula/cbe, and work with moms as far as Gillette. So nice to meet you all!
#28 of 42 Old 10-16-2010, 02:04 AM

Welcome, Generationsbirth!

Jojomama, I do like raising kids in Sheridan - there are quite a few things we enjoy - the Y is great, there are lots of parks, the library is also good, there are some fun summer programs (Science Kids, which really doesn't start 'til they're 6 or so) - the schools are supposed to be very good. We have a small health food store, and some nice walking paths (which will eventually all connect) in town - it's got quite a few things going on for a town of its size while still feeling pretty small. I think both Pediatricians are good, and so are the two OBs in town. We're really quite lucky. There's a CSA (we're members) and there's also a Farmer's Market - it runs from the middle of July through the middle of September. There are a couple mom's groups (I'm a member of neither) - quite a few ways for people to meet. And of course there are the Big Horn Mountains right nearby. We are hoping that Antelope Butte (the ski run) reopens next year, which would really be great.

Once you get to town and are settled in, PM me - we can arrange a meet up at the library or something. I've another Mothering friend who lives in Sheridan too, I think she'd like to meet you too.

#29 of 42 Old 10-27-2010, 08:02 PM

hi! I'm in Powell! nice to meet you all! I'm having my 3rd UC in January. =)

Free Birthing, Non-Vaxxing, Non Circ'ing, Baby wearing, Bed-sharing, Breastfeeding Momma of 2 toddlers and pregnant with our 3rd UC baby. Student Doula and Future Midwife
#30 of 42 Old 03-01-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchara View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by becker206 View Post
I'm pretty late getting to this thread (don't check in as often as I should), but I wanted to let you know that Dr. Wohl in Sheridan is VERY pro-vax choice. For us, he said he'd feel negligent if he didn't give us this little packet he had, and we took it, glanced over it, but he even put a note in our chart that we're not to be bothered about vax's. Oh, and he homeschooled his 3 kids, and his one PA I know homeschooled hers, too. I absolutely love the practice, and we're probably going to be moving soon, and I'm SO sad to leave them. I pray we'll find a pedi who's as good. We've used both the MD's in his practice (he and Dr. Oss, who was there when our twins were delivered), and one of the PA's, and we've been very impressed with all of them, as well as the nurses and office staff.

I currently live in Sheridan and we see Dr Oss. I am extremely surprised to hear Dr Wohl as being described as respectful of pro-vax choice. I have been harassed/or questioned on more than one occasion for my vax choices and I have legally filed Religious Exemption yet every time I have ever seen him he has been very open on forcing his viewpoints and asking questions that are none of his business, even going as far as asking about my religious faith, which is private and should not be a pre-requisite for medical care. Most of the nurses are pretty nice, but one nurse my very first appointment to see Dr Oss asked me if my "...Religious exemption was really religious or was I like the rest of the negligent parents on the rise that simply use it as an excuse to not vax their kids."  Maybe you haven't had the privilege of bumping into the vaccine bias at this office, but be aware they are there.

I will say Dr Oss herself has always been very respectful and never discriminated against me or my child however.

My few experiences with Dr Wohl have been enough to make me avoid him whenever I can and see Dr. Oss if I can help it.

~Kristy~ *Madeline Age 6 *Baby#2 May28th

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page